Thread: How to glue a copper dome to wood?

Blog Entries

Question How to glue a copper dome to wood?

We have an octogonal birdhouse which has a copper dome , about 18 inches across, on top. All the wood rotted so I rebuilt it & now need to put the copper dome back on top. It was held in place previously by some type of glue or caulking. What glue/caulking would you suggest that I use to connect the copper dome to the wood beneath it? I might add that the bottom of the dome which sits on the wood is only about 1/8 inch wide.
    Thanks
    Dennis

Dennis

I'm going to guess that it's some form of a construction adhesive.
    Check out the Liquid Nails website. There are about a hundred different types of Liquid Nails adhesives. DAP has a big selection also.

I would use construction adhesive.
    Scott

I have used West system epoxy for adhering copper sheet to plywood with excellent success, so it may be a solution for your bird house roof situation. For the sheet I roughed up the back with 60 grit. The epoxy stands up well even to extremes in moisture and chemicals that I used for creating a patina on the copper sheet. I have not tried it with 5-minute epoxy, but if your project is small enough that you can work within the open time of the 5 minute epoxy I suspect the result would be the same although I am having a hard time visualizing the size of the contact area between the sheet and the wood (1/8" wide?).

A copper top hall table I made based on a David Marks design and patination process.

Hello,
    For exterior copper or any other metal for that matter to wood bonding, you need a flexible adhesive - PL Polyurethane Roof & Flashing Sealant will stay flexible.

There's an extreme amount of movement difference between copper and wood in an exterior enviroment. Far too much to use a hard set such as epoxy or any of the other wood to wood adhesives.

Silicone - such as GE - will also work, but it's only going to be good for a few years - maybe 4 or 5.
    Last edited by Rich Engelhardt; 02-10-2008 at 8:47 AM.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

What Rich said. Any asphaltic material will do - - and you can cover the wood and keep out the wetness.

Of curse if you use too much and it can't "cure" in time, the sun's heat can cause it to run a little.

I am with rich. David marks laminated some wood with copper in one of the episodes, and he used a slow setting epoxy.

Here is a site I have found to be helpful.

http://www.thistothat.com/

I Have built many birdhouses with copper roofs. Three in my yard are nine years old and the roof's are still firmly attached. I used Silicone caulking. I ran beads on the substrate and spread it out with a 1/8" notched trowel. I have also used liquid nails. Neither has failed. My weather here vaires from high 90's in the summer to low teen's in winter. Right now it is 4 degrees out
    Jim