Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My garage shop (w/lots of pics)

Its a pity that is a temporary shop. It looks like you have done a great job with it. Quite a bit better than most permanent shops out there.

Doc

Very nice choice in equipment and good use of space. Did you order your power equipment from Woodcraft in Seattle?

Does your DC work well? Thinking of ordering one today. Where did you get the over head guard for your saw? And more importantly, would you do it again?

Nice temp shop, thanks for posting! You ought to bill somebody for the cleanup though!

Sorry for the delay

Sorry for the delay in responding to the last posts, for some reason they didn't show up in the original post, only in my weekly notification. When I followed the link there, then they were visible. Anyone know if I'm doing something wrong?

Greg: Thanks, I wanted to go through the process of setting it up full-scale so that I would learn the hard lessons before making mistakes when I build a shop for real next year. It was a lot of work just to have to tear it all down after only two years, but the experience I gained as already been worth it (don't ask the same question on moving day though).

Al: Yes, I ordered all of the major machines from the Seattle woodcraft. Caught great timing and got everything on sale + rebates (except sawstop of course) so that saved me a ton of money. I forget his name now but the guy who delivers their stuff to residential addresses was absolutely amazing. Helped me set up everything, showed a real interest in helping me do it right (since I was brand new to it at the time), put together the sawstop mobile base for me (he's fast) and made a special trip out two weeks later with the backordered drill press and refused to take anything more than gas money for the latter. Overall superb customer service in every way.

Steve: DC works very well but I don't have a lot to compare it to. I'm never eating a noticeable amount of sawdust unless I'm using the chopsaw (not hooked up to DC yet), when I forget to turn it on there's a huge difference and I'm choking on it, so although I haven't done any scientific tests, it's doing what I had hoped it would. I got the overarm guard on amazon, if the name's not visible it's exacto I believe. They were the only one I could find with 4" pipes. I really like it and use it 99% of the time (only time I don't is when I have to do tenon cheeks). I'm in a lucky situation because this is the first table saw setup I have ever used, so I didn't develop bad habits on anything else. The guard makes small cuts a lot more tricky, but I've built some modified push sticks that now make them feasible and easy. The hugest plus of it to me really isn't even the safety aspect, it's the huge improvement in dust collection, especially keeping it from spraying in my face. It gets solid marks here, and that's what really matters, and why I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

5. Would that, by chance, be Jet's JJ-6CSDX jointer with quickset knives and Powermatic's PWBS-14CS 14" bandsaw?

I ask because I'm looking to buy those two machines. As for the jointer, either the Powermatic 54A or the Jet JJ-6CSDX.

Nice shop and nice projects.

Wow!!! What a dramatic transformation. Your shop is looking great. Congratulations on the SawStop. Nice choice.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

How did you finish the table top?

Very nice use of space there.

Awsome shop and equipment! I'd love to move mine out of the basement, I can't stand having to haul tools and wood through the house to get to my shop. The next shop will be a stand alone building when the kids are done with college, so Ive got about 15 years to save for it.

replys

Joe: You are right on the names of both pieces of equipment. I would say that, as almost everyone on here recommends, it's better to go with at least an 8" jointer to start off. The size/cost increase is negligible and the return is good. From what little experience I have (It's very little) all of my rough cut lumber has been from 7-12" in width, with 75% or more being 7-8" in width, so it seems that 8" is a common size for mills to cut to, wherease I've rarely if ever gotten 6" rough lumber. In short, at least in my area, I'd have a lot less waste if I'd gone with an 8" instead. Hoping to upgrade to a 12" j/p combo next year.

Matt: I finished the table with three coats of linseed, sanded lightly in between, and two coats of low-gloss (satin I think is the proper name) poly. I only did the top, so it's cupped some as a result, from what I understand you need to finish both top and bottom the same to equalize moisture absorption/wood movement.

Thanks for all the positive comments everyone, I definitely appreciate it.

Andy

Andy
    Nice looking shop.
    How do you like that PM2800 drill press any issues?
    I've been thinking of getting one but have been put off by a few not so favorable reviews floating around.
    This weekend I hope to see one in the 'flesh'
    Dan