Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Two Table saws in one shop????

I kept mine when I picked up a Uni-saw and attached a permanent dado blade on it. It sits in my rear shop and gets rolled up when I do dadoes. But... I recently started cutting dadoes with a Milwaukee plunge router or my router table with a fixed Milwaukee. I love it and consider it safer and the dadoes are cleaner.

So... the 2nd saw will be parted out and sold or I may just give it to an entry level to get em up and running.

Sarge..

Interesting... I have a Delta contractor w/ a 52" bies fence and router in the R extension, replaced by a PM66 set up the same-ish. I haven't sold the Delta for 8 months now (sooooo hard to part with it!), thinking the same as you--dado on the Delta, and 2 router setups? Good thread. I haven't used the older saw YET, but then I've not done any work like cabinets that was production and dado intensive.
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

3. You must be a psychic who can read minds

Funny you should mention it. You even have the models down right. My Dad's Sears saw circa 1950's put to good use.

When you think about the Sears saw as a good base to attach up to 3 router stations, you are actually compressing space. Multiple router stations is a real time saver, so you can keep settings, on each of the bits for making raised panels for example. On a movable base, it can roll up against a wall when not in use. I got a charge out of your post, with the 2 saws that I use, and was asking myself the same question in 04 when I bought the PM66.
    Last edited by Bob Feeser; 02-10-2008 at 11:58 PM.
    "Fine is the artist who loves his tools as well as his work."

Two saws

I bought a Jet cabnet saw with w/ 52" rails, couldn't get what I wanted for my Delta platinium contractor saw. Replaced the table to the left of the Jet with with the Delta. Takes up the same space as the one saw.
    Can't decide if it is a Jelta or a Det??? Both are the same color. I do wish I could have found one of the Bies deals so I could have two fences, or maybe some one swaped their Jet Premier fence out and would like to get rid of it?? Still it is very handy if have the room.

I have two Craftsmen side by side - bolted together. Besides the convinence of having one with a rip blade and the other cross cut I like the larger work surface. I have one extension between the two. I was able to fix the fnece system so I can use the fence on either saw. Makes for a large capacity. The rip blade has not come off the #2.

When I got my second saw the plan was to get rid of #1. When I saw that they would bolt together I decided to keep them both.

My brother also has 2; both UNI's. When he bought his second (5hp) he was going to get rid of #1 (3hp). I convinced him to keep both; he's glad he did. His are both on wheels but he does use them both. I sould also say that he's a pro. The extra saw helps speed up his construction time.
    Wife's request is another excuse for a new tool!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Feeser View Post
    Funny you should mention it. You even have the models down right. My Dad's Sears saw circa 1950's put to good use.

and that is the exact craftsman saw that i have... i like it but its just under powered...and also the miter slots on a craftsman are different than industry standard... therefore you must shop at sears (which is quite painful...)

thanks for the support guys. i think im gonna keep it!
    "there is no such thing as a mistake in woodworking, only opportunities to re-assess the design"

7. Nick,
    You are exactly right about the power, and the miter track dimensions. The motor on mine, after removing the wiring cover on it, it has directions for converting it over to 220. You just have to move a couple of wires around, and change the plug, and outlet, and of course plug it into a 220 line. That improves it, but the frustration of smoking wood, and breakers, or the motor reset button popping doesn't go away with thicker hardwoods.
    I was doing a door job for a customer, was cutting 1 1/2" oak, it was burning the wood, and then I needed to run a dado along it's entire length, which would be the glass insert area. I ran the kerf, then measured the depth, and oddly enough, I was getting the proper setting on the ends, and the center was off. I couldn't figure out what the problem was, then I took a long straight edge, and placed it front to back, across the table top, and saw a sway back mule center on the saw. The weight of the motor, all these years, which is attached to the top, caused the top to develop a valley. After all of the frustration I experienced, with the power, etc., I went in the other room, and ordered the PM66 and never looked back.
    I keep the Sears saw, even with the sway back top, it works great for rip cuts, but I do not use it for any bevel cuts. If the piece is short enough, then it works fine for bevels also. I use a Makita slider for all of my miter cuts anyhow.
    To me, if I set up the PM for making Dado's for example, then if I need to rip another piece, I know I can go over to the Craftsman, and get a good straight 90 degree cut. No problem there at all. Meanwhile it makes a great foundation for a router station platform, and doubles as another saw. I have sentimental value in it also, my Dad used it for all of those years, started me out in woodworking as a youngster with it. He build our basement, with all finish work, mohogany, and T&G cedar. Funny how prices have changed since then. He bought it used, with a jig saw, and a vise, for only $100. It really does come in handy when doing dados on the big saw.

Quote Originally Posted by NICK BARBOZA View Post
    and that is the exact craftsman saw that i have... i like it but its just under powered...and also the miter slots on a craftsman are different than industry standard... therefore you must shop at sears (which is quite painful...)

thanks for the support guys. i think im gonna keep it!
    Last edited by Bob Feeser; 02-12-2008 at 1:39 PM.
    "Fine is the artist who loves his tools as well as his work."

I have 2 table saws

I have 2 saws and I set the smallest and oldest for dados. I have it setting to one side of my main saw so it wors as an outfeed table for larger pieces.

You aksed about having two saws. I have a Jet 10" TS with Incra's TS-LS fence system. A Jet midi lathe, Delta 16" drill press, Delta table BS and 16" MiniMax BS. When you include my Shopsmith and EZ system, I end up with

3 Table Saws ( Jet, Shopsmith, EZ system)
    3 Drill Presses (Delta, if you include the Shopsmith double duty drill and horizontal press)
    2 lathes (Jet and Shopsmith)
    2 Bandsaws (Delta, MiniMax)

I may have two routher tables if I buy one to attach to my TS in addition to my Jess-em table.

So two, or even three, is not that outlandish.

Dan Bussiere Guest
    I have my Delta contractors saw with Beis fence in the shop and my old Ryobi BT3000 in the garage. I push the Ryobi out in the driveway (weather permitting) to cut sheet goods because there is more room than trying to manage sheet goods in my shop. Also, most of my sheet material comes onto my property through the driveway anyway so it's just easier to use the Ryobi saw to break it into managable material. Originally I was going to sell the Ryobi but it became very useful where it is. Because this worked so well, I positioned my radial arm saw next to the Ryobi so I can cut long boards in the driveway or garage instead of in the shop. Best of both worlds for me.

Blog Entries
    I am a firm believer that if you can have one set up for dado and one for cutting, you are golden. If I had the room (and the extra saw) I'd do it in a heartbeat.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Two here. Delta 5hp setup with power feed and rip blade...just for ripping. Second is a 3hp that is used for all panel processing and crosscutting that is not done on either the dbl mitre, jump saw, or mitre saw. Of course, it helps having 5000sq ft shop.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Jones from Oregon View Post
    Two here. Delta 5hp setup with power feed and rip blade...just for ripping. Second is a 3hp that is used for all panel processing and crosscutting that is not done on either the dbl mitre, jump saw, or mitre saw. Of course, it helps having 5000sq ft shop.

Doug
    You sound like a pro, Doug!

I actually have 3 SawStops all bolted together with some long 3/8" threaded rod that I do a myriad of cuts on. Then again I also have a 16" MM J/P combo machine but also a 13" lunchbox planer and 6" jointer along with all the Performax drum sanders and a really big 50" drum sander that dims the neighbor's lights (doesn't impact mine ) when I run it plus 14", 16", 17" and 24" bandsaws and all the TS and BS are fitted with powerfeeders. Behind my shop is a forest of perfectly straight maple, walnut, and oak trees where every 4th one has highly-figured grain and they manage to fall down and split into perfectly stickered stacks of the precise dimensions I need and they are all dried, too!

...then I woke up from my dream....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Shoot, here's a guy with a five saw set-up: http://www.owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id=4290

Keith

I did have a commercial shop Chris, made frames...haven't even been in the shop for a year now....maybe someday I'll get the urge to again.....have been thinking about a lathe...and did just get a nice box of ironwood....

Doug