Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tear proof Latex Gloves

tear proof Latex Gloves

Anybody know of a brand that are heavy enough for me to use under the hood of a car. All the ones I get for work now are just to thin and easily torn.

painters

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Wagner View Post
    Anybody know of a brand that are heavy enough for me to use under the hood of a car. All the ones I get for work now are just to thin and easily torn.
    painters use a hand cream / sealer that i use before doing anything dirty or greasy, when i get done everything washes off easily with soap and water.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Camaster Cobra 408 working table size 48 x 98
    Wincnc,AspireII,PhotoVcarve,Cut3D
    HX6090SE 60Wworking table 23”X36”
    LaserCut 5.3
    Coreldraw X3, photograV 3.0, Photozoom3

Sawmill Creek is financed in part through member contributions.
    Many members just like you have found extraordinary value in becoming a financial supporter of SMC.

I had bought some latex gloves from the borg and they just tore apart after a few minutes. When I was in the hospital with my LOML after she gave birth I 'borrowed' some of the medical latex gloves. They are a million times better. My suggestion is to go to a medical supply store and buy some gloves from there. I might be worth picking up a package to see if they work for you.
    Good Luck,
    Greg

I use the 2 ply latile gloves from HF. They are a bit stronger then normal latex; they will still tear. I started using them when one of my cars was at the dealer's shop; all the mechanics were wearing them. That was about 4 years ago. I keep the box close by when I do tear one. The gloves are so much better then anything I had tried before.
    Wife's request is another excuse for a new tool!!!

No such thing as tear proof.

I used to run a Matco tool truck. I sold Microflex.
    For latex, try Diamongrip
    for nitrile, try Supreno

The nitrile are the blue gloves, are tougher and resistant to more chemicals, like brake cleaner and such. Latex gloves just melt.

Nitrile don't stretch as much, so fit is more important.
    Last edited by John Hixon; 02-11-2008 at 7:35 AM.

Instead of latex gloves, how about a pair of mechanics gloves? Most auto parts stores sell some by Mechanix Wear that are pretty good.

I have been using Nitrile gloves for the past year. I was getting them at Sam's Club but my local store no longer carries them so I bought a box of latex gloves that they replaced them with. The latex are inferior to the Nitrile gloves. The Nitrile gloves will tear but it takes some sharp object or excessive abrasion before they do. The latex gloves sometimes tear in the process of putting them on.
    When I was in the film processing job, I used a protective cream that protected my hands from the harsh chemicals. I think it was called liquid glove or something similar. The product was good around the chemicals but I had to be careful that I didn't leave fingerprints on the film I handled.
    I haven't tried the mechanics gloves that Matt mentioned but I will check them out the next time I am in a NAPA store.
    David B

The last time I was in HF I went to pick up a box of nitrile gloves. There were more than one type on the table and as I was going through them a guy came over and picked up about ten boxes. He said he was a mechanic and used them and to get the nitrile gloves made in Thailand, not latex gloves.

I have yet to break into the box of the type he recommended so can't comment on their quality.

I second the Nitrile gloves. They are blue in color.
    Been around power equipment all my life and can still count to twenty one nakey

The blue nitrle gloves are on sale at HF right now for $6.99 for qty 100. I probably should stop and get some more. I'm not aware of HF having more than one type of nitrle glove.

I use these for working on my bus conversion and I very rarely tear one.

yet another vote for HF nitrile gloves. I don't even think about grabbing latex gloves anymore.

Blue nitrile all the way. Latex blows.

I work in the mantenance dept. at a hospital and we use any glove we find in the area of the work being performed. The latex almost always tear. If time is not a factor I try to find the nitrile they do not tear. I also have a few pair at home (I think they follow me home sometimes) and I use them under the hood of the car I am working on now.
    EPILOG LEGEND 32 60 WATT, CORELDRAWX5, PhotoGraV2.11, strip heater, PUNTA GORDA, FLORIDA

Quote Originally Posted by John Hixon View Post
    No such thing as tear proof.

I used to run a Matco tool truck. I sold Microflex.
    For latex, try Diamongrip
    for nitrile, try Supreno

The nitrile are the blue gloves, are tougher and resistant to more chemicals, like brake cleaner and such. Latex gloves just melt.

Nitrile don't stretch as much, so fit is more important.
    I second the microflex Supreno line.... as a firefighter/emt I use em a LOT and they are about the best I have found, but as has been mentioned any latex/nitrile glove has its limits.

When I need gloves I just wait until the next injury accident and snag some out of the back of the ambulance.

Warning! Don't try this unless you happen to be invited, the medics look friendly but can bite if agitated.

The nitrile gloves are good for most light work but I use a vinyl exam glove for paint/stain and gutting deer. Not stretchy at all but tough and resistant to just about any thinner.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"