Thread: Craftsman double-bladed circular saw question

Craftsman double-bladed circular saw question

I opened up the craftsman flier today and saw a double bladed circular saw where the blades run in opposite directions. Has anyone else seen this or used it??

They claim a much cleaner/smoother cut. I don't know if I buy that.

Anyone have more info?? More curious than anything else.

Thx,

Perry

scoring blade

my guess is that it is a scoring blade that eliminates the tear out on the opposite side. high end saw have this, and I just saw one available as an attachment on a Unisaw. I believe they work, but can not verify first hand. someone will chime in that has one. Supposed to be good for melamine and plywoods.

Yea - I've seen these setups before. Small blade that runs basically in the same plane to score the wood. This isn't it. It has two equal size blades running parallel to each other in different directions.

I would think all it gives you is one clean edge on the top and one on the bottom... That's what I can't figure - it looks like a gimic.

Perry

Metal

Perry -

From what I understand this is primarily for sheet metal. Does look like a pretty cool idea and I think it is beyond a "gimmick".

Ted

Is a demolition blade

The blades run one direction but the teeth
    Are set that way to eliminate or minimize the binding and kickback
    when cut thru a wall . Very good idea for demolition work and remodeling.
    I hope that they have test it on the job site.

I've used a couple of large panel saws with a blade configurationg like this...it does do a great job of preventing tear out when cutting plywoods. The scoring blade (small one) cuts cleanly through the first layer of veneer and the main blade finishes the cut. Yes they both run in exactly the same plane. Delta makes an upgrade for their saws and Powermatic also makes the upgrade. I haven't seen the Craftsman saw...pics please!!

We need pictures
    Looks like we are talking about a
    diferent tool. the one that I am talking about
    I saw it on this old house magazine Dec.04
    At the top 20 best tools of the year.
    Like Chris said. Pictures and more pictures.

Had one of those homely things in my hand last week. It consists of two blades side by side running in oposite directions.(ccw/cw). I was in a sears in Nashua, Nh so I couldn't run it. Appears as though it cuts with a shearing action and according to the salesman, it cuts real smooth. It's supposed to cut wood, laminates and nonferrous metal. Dont know of anyone trying one though.
    Procrastination.......

Maybe I'll think about that tomorrow

Hi Gents, the saw Perry saw is probably this one:

Go to the Sears website then bench top power tools, and finally new tools.
    Best Regards, Ken

I saw a review of this in WorkBench(?) or Home Handyman not too long ago, it was one of their 10 most innovative tools for the year. Along with reducing tearout, it's also supposed to eliminate kickback and allow plunge cuts.

This is an excellent saw. I tested it out doing a plunge cut, and it does exactly what they say it does. In addition to the excellent plunge cut, I felt no resistance that's felt on a regular circular saw this leads me to belive that kickback is reduced quite a bit. It cuts wood pretty well. It comes with some wax sticks to cut other types of stuff. If I needed another circular saw, I would purchase this one. As a matter of fact, I almost purchased it even though I didn't need one, because it was on sale. But I resisted.
    Member - Uncle Sam's Misguided Children '82-'85.
    Once, Now Former, But Always!

"Among individuals, as among nations, the respect for the other's rights brings peace."
    Benito Juarez