Thread: Computer Desk

Cool Computer Desk

Attached are a couple of pictures of the computer desk I just finished. It was featured in FWW August 2003 and was built by Charles Durfee. I used white oak, and applied 2 coats of General Finishes Shaker Maple, 2 coats of GF poly blend, and wax. This project allowed me to attempt hand cut dovetails, half-blinds for the front of the drawers and through for the backs. I cut a LOT of dovetails, and I could actually see the last ones look better than the first ones. I really enjoyed building this project.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Rick,

The computer desk looks great. I can easily see how you would enjoy crafting a fine piece of furniture like that. I'm sure your family will enjoy it for decades to come.

Your shop helper looks pretty good too!
    Kent Cori

Half a bubble off plumb

Great Looking Desk Rick!
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Excellent job Rick. You've inspired me to try cutting some dovetails by hand.
    Jim Stastny ~ Damascus, Maryland
    A poor workman blames his tools

um, is that stain on your helpers tail? interesting method.
    1. Dip tail
    2. Back dog up to project
    3. Pet dog.
    Think it would work with a cat?

Great looking desk! Keeping? selling? (looks like a keeper to me)

Great job on the desk...and give the pooch a scratch.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Salter
    um, is that stain on your helpers tail? interesting method.
    1. Dip tail
    2. Back dog up to project
    3. Pet dog.
    Think it would work with a cat?

Great looking desk! Keeping? selling? (looks like a keeper to me)
    Pat, he had a little trouble on the deep inside corners of the cabinet and it is a "keeper" for the "customer" in the house. Besides, I wouldn't even begin to know what I would ask for this piece, thinking about Dave's previous message on selling his marking knives. I think I would make a nickle an hour. Now, if you could get the cat to stay in one place......... Rick

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Rick,
    I could look at SMC projects all day at that desk. Looks like good help!

Pat, LMAO!
    Last edited by Tyler Howell; 03-07-2004 at 8:38 AM.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Hey the desk looks great. I'm in the process of building the same thing, and even out of white oak.

Can you tell me if you made the roundover detail on the side rails and stiles? I can't tell from the pictures, and I'm having a tough time thinking through how to make them. Any suggestions after having done it?

Thanks much

Matt in Colorado.

[QUOTE=Matt Ralston]

Can you tell me if you made the roundover detail on the side rails and stiles? I can't tell from the pictures, and I'm having a tough time thinking through how to make them. Any suggestions after having done it?

Thanks Matt. I used a 1/8" round over bit set deep enough to have the fillet as described in the article. I then chisled the corners square after routing. Does that make sense? My panels aren't as nearly detailed as the ones in the article either, but I think the effect is the same. I think if I had a good rail and stile router bit, my approach would have been different. Hope this helps, but if not, let me know.

Rick

Rick,
    Beautiful job, meticulous work.

My .02, you have to contain those computer cables. They really take away from your magnificent project.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Inniss
    Rick,
    Beautiful job, meticulous work.

My .02, you have to contain those computer cables. They really take away from your magnificent project.
    Thanks Steve, and you are right about the wires. I guess I was so excited to finally ge that thing done, and in the house, I couldn't wait to take a picture. I have since tucked the wires up behind the apron on the left side, and the remainder behind the cabinet.

Rick

Ahh, I see

Thanks for the response Rick. I'm going to try to make the end panels just as the mag has them, which may be pushing my skills a bit.

I'm resizing the desk to fit a space in my house, and I'm having a tough time visualizing how to make the rails fit the stiles with all their faces and shoulders and edges. I think it will probably just come down to lots of fiddling and fine fitting.

Matt in Colo.