Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on Spindle Sander

Advice on Spindle Sander

I am in the middle of setting up my new shop and am looking at a low cost spindle sander I found of Craig's list. It is a 10 year old craftsman oscilating spindle sander with a flimsy stand for $110. is this worth it or should I just buy a new one like the rigid which was rated really well for about $200. Eventually I would like to get a big floor standing one but right now I don't have the cash for that since I am buying a bandsaw as well right now. So what do you think about the price and quality of the craftsman vs. a little more cash for the new rigid?? Thanks for your advice.

Peter

I really can't comment on the Craftsman sander but you could add $80 to it and get a Ridgid combo.

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Oscillat...r/EN/index.htm

I have had one now for about a year and I would say that is one of the tools that I use all the time, I do use the belt more then the spindle but I use them both. It is a good unit the only little problem is the DC is not that good, its ok but it could be much better.

Ditto Bill Huber.

If you are setting up shop, not sure that would be a high item on my list. There are lots of other tools I use more frequently. What is it that you are going to build that you need a spindle sander? I got by for years with just a drum mounted in my drill press. I finally upgraded to a spindle sander and bought a Jet table top unit, cheap ones just seemed cheap to me. i stil do not use it all that much, but then again when I do need it it is nice. I could however, still get buy with the drill press solution.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

To serve as counterpoint - I am a new woodworker also setting up shop and find that the Ridgid sander is one of my most used tools. I use it anytime I have a curved piece to sand, or a small straight edge (I use the belt for that). For $200, I feel it is an excellent deal, and so no need to upgrade really.

Ditto Scott. I got by for years with sticky back sandpaper on flexible homemead sanding strips and a drill press sander. Have used a cast iron grizzly 4" OSS at work, and that is a much nicer tool. That said, I bought the rigid for a curved trim job this summer, built it into a table and pummeled it for weeks. Worked great and its easy to tuck away in a corner. I'd skip the old craftsman and buy the rigid or a better one the first time you absolutely need it.

Rigid for me yessiree.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

I just bought the Grizzly combo (spindle + disk) and really like it. It is my first Grizzly machine, and a good value.

Ted

My point was more is this the right tool to get if starting out. That question is really answered by the person starting out. What's he plan on building? I can think of several tools I would use way before I needed a spindle sander. Like joiner, planer, drill prill, CMS, etc, good chisels, planes, saws, etc.

As for the Ridgid, I am sure it is a good product, though the two I bought were total pieces of junk and too dang big. That's why I bought the JET, it was built solid. I don't know, something about cast iron speaks to me as being a little higher quality. I already had a belt sander, so the whole belt thing was not a requirement for me. I have since added a dedicated 4x36 edge sander. As for my attempts at the Ridgid, neither was square and they vibrated. It by no means is considered a cheap tool though at $200.

If starting out, I am saying if he had a drill press, he cold use it for more than just drilling. Heck, I think that PC 221 is a pretty cool tool as well, and if he had a router cabinet he could use it to mount the 221 and have one cabinet support two tools. See, it's about creativety too. When I started out I tried to buy tools that I could do multiple things with, when I got to a point I could buy a dedicated tool I did. I stretched my money when I needed too.

If I had the space in my shop, I would be all over that big grizzly floor model, it's a beast. At least I recall it to be the last time I visited the store in Springfield.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

rephrasing question

I already have most everything, Sawstop,jointer,Planer, Drill press, and am purchasing a band saw in the next month. I may have been misleading with "getting the shop set up". We just had a new house built with a 4 car garage and I am walling off the last 2 bays with a gas line for a heater as my shop. My main point was is this a good price for the craftsman or would it be better to bite the bullet for 200 with the rigid. Thanks again for the input.

Peter

I have the Rigid

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Melanson View Post
    I already have most everything, Sawstop,jointer,Planer, Drill press, and am purchasing a band saw in the next month. I may have been misleading with "getting the shop set up". We just had a new house built with a 4 car garage and I am walling off the last 2 bays with a gas line for a heater as my shop. My main point was is this a good price for the craftsman or would it be better to bite the bullet for 200 with the rigid. Thanks again for the input.

Peter
    I personally would get the rigid. It will come in handy sanding parts made off your new bandsaw. You should fasten it to a good base

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Melanson View Post
    My main point was is this a good price for the craftsman or would it be better to bite the bullet for 200 with the rigid. Thanks again for the input.

Peter
    Bite the bullet and get the Rigid. I just got a reconditoned one for $130 from Rigid while they were at the Woodworkers Show in Atlanta last month. It comes with a year warranty and when i was talking with their rep he said that they pretty much gut the entire unit and replace everything except the "plastic shell".
    War Eagle!

I don't know anything about the craftsman but would recommend the Rigid. I only use it occasionally but it does its job well. I don't have unlimited space and like the idea that the Rigid can be tucked underneath a shelf when not in use. I couldn't justify one of the big cast iron versions.

Greg

I just bought one from the HF store in Nashville for 89 bucks. For my spindle sanding needs, it's perfect. Plastic body with cast iron top. 6 spindle sizes from 1/2 inch to 3 inches. It's solid as a rock and works great!
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

Ridgid combo.