Thread: GRReat? Has anybody used this before?

GRReat? Has anybody used this before?

I was looking up some featherboards for my TS and ran across this contraption. Does anybody have on of these? Does it work? 100% protection (is that for real)? Is it worth it?

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx...oductid=820434

Tim

Just do a search of the forum using the word "gripper".

Rod

Blog Entries
    I bought two at the recommendation of members here, love them. They seem expensive but you will be amazed at how often you use them. Do a search here on GRR-Ripper and you'll get more than you can stand. I rarely use the lartge sole plate but the stand off block is essential so just buy a pair of the 200's and be done with it. Watch for sales at Woodcraft, Rockler, etc. I think I got mine from Lee Valley for about $80 for the pair during one sale or another.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 02-12-2008 at 11:49 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I had one and could never really get used to it. I could not really use it on my TS because it didn't work with my Bies splitter and could never get used to it on the jointer. Perhaps if I had two....

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I think I got mine from Lee Valley for about $80 for the pair during one sale or another.
    What's that??????????

Lee Valley had a sale!!!

I must have missed that!

After being a customer for 24 years, and they finally had a sale, and I missed it!
    Hope I don't have to wait another 24 years!

http://www.microjig.com/

There is a DVD that shows this unit at work. Only $7.95

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...12&cat=1,43000
    Last edited by Eddie Darby; 02-12-2008 at 12:27 PM.

I received one for Xmas two years ago (at my request). I liked it so much that I asked for a second one this Xmas. I like them very much. They are more comfortable to use on both the tablesaw and jointer. They are really good on the jointer. Well worth the money IMHO.

I have two of them, and have been using them for years. A great accessory. Understand that I normally use an overhead Brett-Guard on the TS. The grr-rippers come in handy when I can't, and often when I can. Not to mention using them for the router table.

I just use the GripTites, Board Buddies, and a push stick 'cause that's what I have. Still (as of 1:50 CST) all ten, and no body bruises.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

I got the Grip-Tites not too long ago and love them. They are really easy to use. Unfortunately my current benchtop saw's top is not magnetic, but have a bigger Craftsman being handed down to me soon.
    *Woodworker in training*

Placitas, NM in the foothills of the Sandia Mountain.
    I have both the grip-tites and the grippers - no not overkill.

I use the grip-tites like traditional featherboards or a hold-downs when dadoing. Problem there is that as a hold-down, they don't leave room for a pushstick, you have to push with another piece of stock of the same dimension.

I use the grippers for cutting small pieces or when the workpiece is small. Totally safe.

You need two, so you can 'leapfrog' for long boards.

The splitter that comes with the gripper is really great, with different placement, it can loosely press the board against the fence, or really push it back. I find it improves the smoothness of cut nicely.

Blog Entries
    I bought a set at the Woodworking show this weekend and already started using them on all my machines that I would normally use pushsticks, featherboards or pads on - bandsaw, tablesaw, jointer router table. After seeing the live demo and then watching my free DVD after purchasing them, I was amazed at how much safer they make normal cuts.

Personally, I still would not venture outside each equipment's normal use just because of the Grippers. In other words, these won't give me an excuse to do stupid things.

Wouldn't make a rip without it.

There are are several threads on various forums about the pros and cons of the GRRipper. I have them and like them (although I don't use them all the time). However, there are others who are frightened by the idea of passing their hands over the blade of a table saw. Do a search and read the differing opinions. I also have a pair of Grip-Tites, which I find very useful.

I use it all the time. It is particularly good at the router table, but also at the table saw as well. Though I will say, that the $13 handle bridge package is a good addition, not for the bridges themselves, but for the phenolic piece used for catching the back edge of a small piece.

Doc