Thread: Tool handles

Tool handles

I need to make handles for hollowing tools that I picked up from David Ellsworth after I took his weekend class a few weeks ago.

He makes his tool handles from green wood on his property. While walking through a big box yesterday I noticed a shovel on sale -- for six bucks the handle on the thing looked like an easy way to get some hard wood for the tools.

How do you guys make them -- I am just getting back into the hobby after 15+ years.

I ordered a new lathe and all kinds of other stuff -- the handles will be one of my first projects.

Thanks --- TAG

Here is a tutorial:
    Thompson Lathe Tools Handle

You can get ash or walnut tool handle blank for $4 ~ $4.50
    http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/st...le_blank?Args=

About a month ago, I saw some very nice handles made from gluing different woods up in this forum.
    Gordon

Tom, first welcome to the vortex...I think you started ahead of most with your class with Mr. Ellsworth. I've made handles out of glued up stock and shovel handles, but I've made most out of seasoned firewood. Oak, ash, maple and others....best part is the price, FREE.

I recently made a tool for my lathe and used a piece of oak firewood to turn the handle. It worked great and you can't beat the price since it was going to be burnt in the stove anyway.

I just made three handles for some new tools. Cost about $1 a piece. Green wood will shrink and crack. I suggest you find some nice dry hard wood for the handles. I picked up a bundle of 2x2" walnut cut offs at a local wood dealer for 10$..enough to make 20 handles.. any straight grained hardwood will work. For ferules I used copper tubing end caps -1" for the larger diameter bowl gouge and 3/4" caps for the smaller tools.

There are number of web sites with instructions. Google it.

Tom
    South Charleston
    Ohio, USA

I have some broken shovel handles. I considered using them for some small lathe tools I made but decided they were too small and I don't have very big hands. I would think a shovel handle would really be too small for a larger tool like a bowl gouge.

Tool Handles

Hey Tom G.,

Nice drive-by gloat on the Ellsworth class ! I'm lucky to have a friend who gets reject baseball bat blanks free and gives them to club members. I just made a very large handle for my Martel hook tool out of curly ash. Looks and feels great. I'll try to get a photo of it. Others have given you good advice. Dry wood works very well. A lot of people us copper plumbing couplers for ferrules and they work great. I use 3/4" or 1" couplers for larger tools and you get 2 from each coupler when you cut them in half.

Also check out Alan Lacer's website. I believe there is a tutorial there. Google should get you there.
    Last edited by Don Orr; 02-13-2008 at 2:06 PM. Reason: Aditional info
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!