Thread: Need decent drill bits.

Need decent drill bits.

I am bad I alwas buy the drillbit set on sale at costco or HF. I think it is time to get one decent set of twist bits. I need sizes from the the smallest you can get to maybe 1/2 bit. I relise this may be a couple different sets. I don't want to break the bank can someone recomend something decent or what have you had good luck with.
    -=Jason=-

Well... for wood I would suggest brad-point over regular twist drill bits. I have a Steelex set that are TIN coated. They have been decent, not top notch, but they cut cleanly and have lasted for about 5 years. They weren't very expensive, so if your on a budget... I recommend them.

http://www.woodworkersshop.com/index...PROD&ProdID=68

I'm aware of two strategies and two mfgrs.

For strategies you can but a set or just start replacing the sizes you use most. If you're like me, that's about 1/4 of them.

For mfgrs, I've had very good luck with Bosch titanium twist drills and Lee Valley's quality drills (Triumph?). The Bosch I can usually find at big-box stores or their competitors (OSH). Lee Valley's would be mail-order unless you are lucky enough to live near a LV retail outlet.
    AKA - "The human termite"

Buy from an industrial supply and only get HSS.

Twists bits come in fractional, # and letter sizes. Fractional drills are your standard 1/8, 1/4 etc... # drills run from 1-80 in very small increments. #80=.0135", #1=.2280". Letter drills are larger in less than 1/64" increments. A= .2340", Z=.4130"

Depending upon the increments you need, you might start with a 15 pc set 1/16-1/2 by 32nds or a 29 pc set 1/16-1/2 by 64ths.

If you don't have a drill with a 1/2" chuck, look for a set with reduced shanks on the bits over 3/8"

Something like this:

DeWalt DW1969 29 Piece Pilot Point Twist Drill Bit Assortment with Metal Index

List Price: $109.05 Price: $59.00 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping. Details You Save: $50.05 (46%)

Is a good set which should do everything you need in a variety of materials.

"Pilot point" type drills like those above are a good compromise between a brad point and an ordinary twist drill. These will make cleaner entry and exit holes than a standard bit and can still be used in mild steel and other materials.

Brad points are great if you want a set exclusively for wood. Woodcraft recently had sets of 170? brad points in a case for $30,

These aren't premium brad points, but they're working really well for us. Brad points are not easy to sharpen.

McMaster Carr (or any other industrial supplier) has individuals or sets, coated or uncoated.

MaMaster supplies Union, Cleveland or other reputable "industrial" brands. as long as they are not abused, plain HSS drill bits should last forever drilling wood or the occasional mild steel. We have pretty good luck sharpening ordinary twist drills with a Drill Doctor.

Part Number: 8875A14 $53.70 per Set
    Drill Quantity
    Drill Sets
    Drill Bit Style
    Jobbers’–Length Drill Bits
    Standard
    Drill Set Type
    Fractional
    Drill Size Range
    1/16" to 1/2" x 32nds
    Drills Per Set
    Drill Bit Composition
    High-Speed Steel
    Surface Treatment
    Bright Finish
    Point Angle
    118°
    Point Style
    Standard
    Shank Type
    Straight
    Case Style
    Indexed Metal Case
    Specifications Met
    Not Rated
    Note
    The shank diameter is the same as the drill size.

Part Number: 8875A15 $99.64 per Set
    Drill Quantity
    Drill Sets
    Drill Bit Style
    Standard
    Drill Set Type
    Fractional
    Drill Size Range
    1/16" to 1/2" x 64ths
    Drills Per Set
    Drill Bit Composition
    High-Speed Steel
    Surface Treatment
    Bright Finish
    Point Angle
    118°
    Point Style
    Standard
    Shank Type
    Straight
    Case Style
    Indexed Metal Case
    Specifications Met
    Not Rated
    Note
    The shank diameter is the same as the drill size.

And all of these are only the most common drills.
    g'luck

kg

I comepletely agree with cliff if you are talking about regular drill bits instead of brad points......Industrial HHS and figure on spending close to $100 bucks but it probably will be the last set you ever have to buy if you know how to sharpen them.

I got the Dewalt pilot point set that Kevin mentioned 2 Christmases ago. They are very aggresive and power through wood in a hurry but I wouldn't necessarily recommend them if drilling very clean holes is what you want. For that I'd go with brad points or forstners. I finally took the plunge and ordered LV's large brad point set yesterday so cant pass any judgement yet.
    Use the fence Luke

Blog Entries
    Might I suggest buying a Drill Doctor and Harbor Freight drill bits. You can sharpen a bit it 30 seconds and it's very easy. I've bought many 200 dollar plus sets and it was a waste of money once I bought the DD. It's as easy as a pencil sharpener and makes the cheapest bits sharp as a razor. IMHO. I loose too many bits to buy expensive bits anymore.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Wyko View Post
    Might I suggest buying a Drill Doctor and Harbor Freight drill bits. You can sharpen a bit it 30 seconds and it's very easy. I've bought many 200 dollar plus sets and it was a waste of money once I bought the DD. It's as easy as a pencil sharpener and makes the cheapest bits sharp as a razor. IMHO. I loose too many bits to buy expensive bits anymore.
    I agree, and further, HSS High Speed Steel is the most you should pay for if you intend to sharpen the bits. (You aren't going to be able to sharpen brad points at all.) TIN (Titanium Nitride) coated bits are good but no better than HSS once sharpened. TIN helps dissapate heat, keeping the bit sharp longer but once worn off, or sharpened off, you will be back to HSS.

If you want to spend the money, cobalt bits are harder than HSS, stay sharp longer and can be sharpened, just like HSS.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hixon View Post
    I agree, and further, HSS High Speed Steel is the most you should pay for if you intend to sharpen the bits. (You aren't going to be able to sharpen brad points at all.) TIN (Titanium Nitride) coated bits are good but no better than HSS once sharpened. TIN helps dissapate heat, keeping the bit sharp longer but once worn off, or sharpened off, you will be back to HSS.

If you want to spend the money, cobalt bits are harder than HSS, stay sharp longer and can be sharpened, just like HSS.
    You are right John...but to just clarify something....There really isn't a "cobalt bit" per se....actually a Co-HSS bit is High Speed Steel with about 8% cobalt "mixed-in". It is that 8% that helps it keep that edge.

Gary

The problem I find with the HF brad points is the brad point is often off-center and the bits themselves are often bent. They also squeal like a banshee when drilling through anything but the thinnest stock.

For a good value in a starter set, I'd recommend a set of the Colt brand of brad point bits that you can get from your local Woodcraft. German-made and $20 for a 7-piece starter set, 1/8 to 1/2" in 16ths, and you can then "fill in" buying one or two of the odd sizes at a time until you have a complete fractional set.
    --Steve--
    Support The Creek - click here

Whatever brand you decide upon, might be wise to ensure they can be sharpened easily, if at all. I do have the Drill Doctor and although it works wonders [I no longer have any dull bits in the shop ] it will not do the non-standard points. It is a shame since I prefer the brad or pilot points to prevent or reduce skipping, in metal at least, wood not being an issue.

If you do not drill and cut threads, best leave the decimal sized tapping drills at the store. And I would agree that the HSS bits would be the best long term value, although higher inital cost. Be cautious about HSS bits made in developing countries since it may not be the same as the highest quality HSS fabricated in Europe et. al. and the USA [if even still made] and the guys down under.

If you can swing a Drill Doctor, and you do not want the specialized points, would also agree with previous post, to get a decent set [maybe Grizzly Steelex] and grind your own, which is fun. ...take that thou dull bit...and that...and that....winter is so long ...and cold...to me.