Thread: Cabinet Saw Dust Collection Dramatic Improvement

Lightbulb Cabinet Saw Dust Collection Dramatic Improvement

I have been having problems with the dust collection in my cabinet saw. Its a Delta cabinet saw with a 4" port. I ran 4" spiral to the port and because my ducting is less than optimum, I always have had quite a bit of dust in the cabinet, dust spewing out of the top of the cut, and quite a bit of build-up on the fan cover on the end of the motor. I was really worried about the motor, because it wouldnt take much cutting and the fan cover would be packed with sawdust. The cooling fan was sucking it into the grill on the fan cover. I know many people have increased the CFMs by going to 5" or 6" pipe and modifying the cabinet with a larger port. Because of the way my shop is setup, I dont have the room to run anything larger than 4" pipe. I also have lots of 4" spiral and fittings left over from changing the arrangement of my shop several times.
    Then I figured out a cheap and simple fix that has had dramatic results. I added a second 4" line into the saw. I dont mean that I split one line into 2, I ran a second seperate line between the DC and the saw.
    I have a metal motor cover, so I added the second line to the bottom of the door. I used a closet flange from the Borg that cost $3. I had the spiral and all the fittings, all I had to do was cut a 4" hole in the motor door and mount the flange.
    I have a powerful cannister DC, so it is up to the task, and the results have been impressive. I guess it only makes sense because I believe I have doubled the CFMs to my saw. I dont have any sawdust left in the saw, no sawdust in the fan cover, and very little sawdust coming from the cut. The only downside I can see to this is now I have to open and close 2 blast gates. I can live with that.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Pretty ingenius Lance!

You have effectively ran a 5 3/4" pipe to the saw. I would expect dramatic improvements.

Dual DC lines aren't unusual in large sanders and it is an effective method of fixing a problem without springing for new lines.

Good job all around.

Joe

Edit: Apparently my grammar is a tad lacking.
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Lance, Now that is a great idea. I think most of us have to deal with the problem you described. You said you have a powerful canister D.C. Which one do you have and what kind of ratings on the moter? John

I have a uni, and the 4" dust collection is just minimal. The cabinet doesn't get rid of all the dust well, especially if a small strip gets in there and clogs it up a little. Once in a while I'll hear small piece rattling around in the pipe where it's heading up to the ceiling. I added a shark guard and hooked up another 4" hose to that. Sure helps on the top side of the saw. Jim

Lance

Excellent idea. Thanks for the post.

Quote Originally Posted by John Grossi View Post
    Lance, Now that is a great idea. I think most of us have to deal with the problem you described. You said you have a powerful canister D.C. Which one do you have and what kind of ratings on the moter? John
    John... its a Grizzly G0548. 2HP/1700 CFM. Of course its probably about half that actual cfm. Im very pleased with it.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0548

Now add another 4" line to a collector above the blade and you'll be all set. What you've done by running two 4" lines to the cabinet is to demonstrate that 4" DC lines are limiting the effectiveness of your DC. For it to operate optimally you really do need to step up to 5" or 6" DC lines.

Lance - excellent execution of the idea!!! Looks great and sounds like it works like a charm. Congrats!!!

Be well,

Doc