Thread: The ones that got away

The ones that got away

I'm attempting to collect some hand tools for my woodworking, and am having trouble getting things for reasonable money. And then on Craig's list a guy offers what looks to be an old Stanley No. 4, a Stanley No. 7, what looks to be a rabbet plane, block plane, and a couple of cabinet scrapers for $25. Everything I wanted to start with... and I was too late.

Half a day later another guy offers up a very unused set of tools: Veritas low angle jack plane, Veritas bevel up smoother plane, Veritas bevel up jointer plane, extra blade, pinnacle chisel set, Lie Nielsen low angle block plane, Veritas spoke shave, and a Veritas cabinet scraper... all for $550. I wasn't prepared for that expense, so I had to let that go. Any ideas how much I'll regret that later?

I suspect I won't see another plane listed for a while. Oh well. This hand tool gathering stuff is tough!

Just don't put all your eggs in one basket. Hunt in various places, and in time you'll have everything you're looking for.

However, rust hunting isn't necessarily the fast way to get set up for woodworking, it's just a fun and inexpensive way

Tom
    Are you getting something out of your time here? You are? Great...then now's the time to give a little something back! Contribute!

3. Quote Originally Posted by Dave Chrudimsky View Post
    Any ideas how much I'll regret that later?
    A lot. That was quite a deal if you had or could get the cash. Keep looking, there's bargains out there, it just takes time. In six or eight months from now you'll be making progress.

Buying used tools is all about knowing what you're looking at, patience and persistence.

You really have to know what you're looking at in order to decide what it's worth and whether it's a good deal. After that, it comes down to being patient and actually waiting for the good deals. One thing I've learned is that there's always another one (I don't look for the really rare collector's items), then if you just keep looking you'll find a good deal, eventually...
    "History is strewn with the wrecks of nations which have gained a little progressiveness at the cost of a great deal of hard manliness, and have thus prepared themselves for destruction as soon as the movements of the world gave a chance for it." -Walter Bagehot

I've found it's helpful to have cash in hand before replying to classifieds etc.. easier said than done sometimes... but first come first serve usually gets it done.
    We all get the "man I missed out" feeling. I've had 2-3 locally that were just bad timing for me but one heck of a deal.. like 500 bf of QUALITY lumber for $500. ... I did get a pile of walnut out of it, but dang Christmas held me back.

Greg

Dave,

Everything is gone .

I wanted to get the deal for $25 as well but was too late, and today I called to go snatch the Low Angle Jack, all gone.. all gone

/p

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Reyes View Post
    Dave,

Everything is gone .

I wanted to get the deal for $25 as well but was too late, and today I called to go snatch the Low Angle Jack, all gone.. all gone

/p
    Ah-hah! My competition! Now I'm going to have to watch craigslist much harder. Seriously, have you found any reasonable sources for old tools here in Austin?

8. You have more competition than that! I sent a reply within 2 hours of the listing, but alas, I'm in San Antonio. I offered to pay a pretty penny for shipping (to try and sweeten the deal). By the time I got a reply, all gone!

It's tough in the old tool nightmare of central Texas.

Good luck!

Best,
    Christopher

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Chrudimsky View Post
    Ah-hah! My competition! Now I'm going to have to watch craigslist much harder. Seriously, have you found any reasonable sources for old tools here in Austin?
    Dave,

I was reading your post and said "wait, I saw that" then saw your location and realized I had competition. .

I honestly don't need any of the stuff there, but at $25 even if just a pair of tools turn out nice it is a good find. So if you needed it, at least now I don't feel guilty since I didn't snatch it from you.

Being in Central Texas is so hard to go rust hunting, the trade, seems to me, was not so prevalent here, wood prices just add insult to injury. I see all these posts about wood scores at ridiculously low prices. Oh well, as a town Austin is as nice as they come.

/p

Blog Entries
    Buying used tools is all about knowing what you're looking at, patience and persistence.
    Take head and keep the eyes and ears open. If the local paper has a garage sale listing, read it every week.

If you see an antique shop, stop and look. That is how I found a great 4-1/2 and a couple of other planes at bargain prices.

Introduce yourself to the people at thrift shops, network. If you want to get real serious, get some heavy weight paper and print yourself some business cards as an old wood working tool purveyor. If there are estate sales coordinators in Austin, be sure to get on their good side.

Are there any of those folks in your area who do garage cleaning and dump hauling? Sounds like someone else to get in touch with to me.

Of course, when you get this involved, you may have to start selling some of the extras you come across.

Jim

"If you can count your money, you don't have a billion dollars."
    - J. Paul Getty