Thread: Newbie router table question

Newbie router table question

I have a P-C 690LRVS underneath this Craftsman router table:
    http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00926462000P

So my question is regarding bit changes...

It is a really big pain in the ass to unscrew the router all the way, drop it down from the table, change the bit, push it back underneath blind, and screw it back into the table.

I know there is a "better way", so what is it?

I am open to building a new router table if that's what it takes, as I plan to anyway as I get my new shop set up. Also, do any of you have suggestions regarding components and construction of a router table?

Thanks!

Isn't the yellow ring a removeable insert? Does the PC690 use two wrenches? You should be able to put one wrench in from the top and one from the bottom, or the PC690 has a thumb catch, and it only requires the wrench from the top.

I have the Bosch 1617 in a Rousseau 3002 lift. I remove the rings from the top, place one wrench in from below and the other in from the top. Someday I'll get the wrench so I can do them both from the top.

The 690 has two wrenches...and I suppose it can be done that way though it's almost has hard to get the other wrench under as it is to unscrew the thing. I guess what I'm after is a way to do it from the top without reaching under for either a catch or with another wrench. Then again, maybe I'm just after the impossible and don't know it 'cause I'm a noob

Edit: OK upon further review it looks like I need a router lift. This will let me adjust the router up out of the table without reaching under and then I can get at the thing with both wrenches. Someone correct me if I'm wrong?
    Last edited by Nathan Odle; 02-14-2008 at 2:38 PM.

Peachtree has wrenches that are bent to reach through the top of the table. I'd love to hear if any one else has other options, other than a router with a thumb catch.

Isn't your router screwed into a router plate? You should be able to pull the whole plate out with the router attached.

That is just one of the many problems with the 690 in a router table. I would assume that that is why the 890 has above the table adjustments and with the right plate, you can change the bits up there too.

Doc

I just looked at your picture, I didn't notice it before. When you build your new table use a router plate. The plate screws onto the router base and the table is recessed so the plate will fit in flush.

If your router for some reason can't except a plate then get a different plunge router.

I had this problem too,,,,, heated up the bottom one (wrench) and bent it. Got lucky,,,, bent it right the first time.