Thread: Used DJ-20 Purchase?

Question Used DJ-20 Purchase?

As you may remember, I am trying to decide whether to buy a combo Jointer/Planer or separately upgrade my 6" jointer and 13" planer. With all the advice/comments I got on the original thread, I'm still on the fence as to which way to go.

Then, along comes this deal. It's a 3 year old Delta 8" Jointer (DJ-20) that is in awesome shape and only 15 minutes from my house. It appears to have had very little use (he said only 3 times). It does have standard knives, which I was trying to get away from, but Byrd does make a head for $450 that I can upgrade later.

Anyway, the guy is closing his shop and selling everything (including the $4 million in buildings). He wants $800 for the jointer.

Sooo...kinda back to the original question: Combo or Separates, only in this case the jointer would be this 8" Delta and the planer still the 15" Grizzly.

Thanks.

Be well,

Doc

Don, I own an older (14yrs?) DJ-20 I bought at auction from the original owner, very little use, almost new condition. Paid $900. Wish I had a 12", but the DJ-20 is a very capable machine. Its easy to set up and stays accurate. Plenty of smooth power and heavy enough to process 10' 8/4 lumber with a certain confidence my 6" long bed doesn't give. Taking off the guard, using the rabit ledge and a jointing fence on the table saw or shaper I can process 11" wide material. Unlike most 6" machines performance remains consistent even when using the full 8" capacity.

I have a delta DC-380 15" planer also. Any good cast iron planer, combo or free standing, is quite a step up from any lunch box period. The blades last longer, you have the spiral option, and you can take deeper passes in hard woods with ease. Ever try to push 12" Jatoba or rock maple through your lunchbox taking off a light 1/16"?

I think the decision between 12" combo and 8" jointer/15" planer comes down to capacity. For me its a lot easier to overcome the 8" jointing capacity than the 12" planing capacity.

My current strategy is to use the DJ-20 until I've saved for a 16" combo, because if I'm going to step up the jointer its going to be one last time and all the way without sacrificing my planer width. I can't see going back to a 12" planer, even a really good one. I can pay shop rate at a local millwork company for processing that occasional wide panel or board as needed. I may be on social security by then (am 40 now) but I'm going 16" combo someday.

I would the DJ-20 (that's what I did, for $700), and you can probably get that one for $700--good deal!

However, the same jointer almost from Griz is $939.00 delivered.
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/8-Jo...ram-Beds/G0490
    with the possible problems associated with buying new/delivery.

For $1,939.39 delivered you can get the Griz combo unit, 12". Mmmm that looks tasty too!

If you can verify the jointer is in good shape, I'd get it! That would leave you with $1240 left to get a planer upgrade.

But for me, I'd rather have the two separate tools. Still a tough call with that 12" jointer...

One thing I don't hear anyone talking about is the very short bed of combo jointers. If you pull up threads on jointers here at SMC "which jointer should I buy?" style, 90% of respondants say the most important thing is first 8", and 2nd bed-length. I have read again and again in threads and product reviews that a long bed is critical and to always go for the longer bed. But all of that is suddenly forgotten as if it was never said as soon as we start talking combo machines... this disparity has always sat poorly with me. The combo from griz is 16 " shorter than their 8" jointer bed... if indeed this is all that is required without some significant sacrifice, then why are we all paying for that wasted space, iron, and weight? I suspect this is a non-trivial tradeoff that people just aren't addressing objectively.
    Last edited by Dave MacArthur; 02-14-2008 at 7:23 PM.
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

Ditto Dave on bed length. In your original thread I was commenting on that point. All the combos (Hammer, Felder, Grizzly, MiniMax etc) Have a bed length around 55"-60". I think the DJ-20 12 around 78" or 80"? A good 12" jointer is typically around 86"? There is some rule of thumb that you can theoretically flatten boards twice the length of your outfeed table effectively, so the bed length may prove to be a major restriction on a combo if your work regularly calls for longer stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    Ditto Dave on bed length. In your original thread I was commenting on that point. All the combos (Hammer, Felder, Grizzly, MiniMax etc) Have a bed length around 55"-60". I think the DJ-20 12 around 78" or 80"? A good 12" jointer is typically around 86"? There is some rule of thumb that you can theoretically flatten boards twice the length of your outfeed table effectively, so the bed length may prove to be a major restriction on a combo if your work regularly calls for longer stock.
    FYI, the bed length on my Felder j/p is 80"+, before I add the extension tables. As I remember, it can get up to almost 120" full length.

Bob, I'm looking at the Felder and Hammer catalogues. The 500 series Felder(12") posts a 59" table length. The 700 series (16") posts a 78" table, and a $10,000 price tag. Don and I had better keep saving! For clarity I am discussing 12" combo units relative to table length, and most 16" models do have longer tables.

In the original post I mentioned the extension table option, and you may be able to speak more to its accuracy and effectiveness as I have never used one, but I have not seen a single 12" combo with a stock table length greater than 60". The table extensions on the Hammer and some other combos appear to be some form of 80/20 aluminum extrusion, not sure I'm comfortable with an aluminum jointer table at that price. The Felder tables look like iron but the literature is unclear.

Oddly enough, the least of my worries is actually with the jointer table lengths. As I stated in the other thread, I've jointed 8' boards on my current Jet 6" which only has a 46" long table. It takes some concentration and effort, but I've been able to do it (now, it was 4/4 stock - I couldn't imagine trying it on anything thicker as it would just be too heavy). Thankfully though, I rarely work with stock much longer than 6'.

My biggest concern with the combos was...and still is...the length of the planer bed - it's REALLY small. Several have commented about snipe on them. With my Ridgid adjusted well I don't get any, which is why I am still leaning towards the dedicated 15" planer with a 51" table (with cast iron extensions).

I thought this DJ-20 was a good deal at $800 as it lists right now for $1800+. It has to be a pretty good unit as it's "good enough" for Norm. Think I'll be taking a trip over to check it out.

Be well,

Doc

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quinn View Post
    ...a $10,000 price tag. Don and I had better keep saving!
    Peter, that would take quite a bit of savings, but in the end it would be worth it to buy that large iron. Because if I spent that much money on it, LOML would have me sleeping on it

Be well,

Doc

Don,

Go for the DJ-20. You know you want it, and you won't be sorry when you have it.

- Ed

I agree with Ed. I bought mine used and it is my favorite power tool in the shop. Thing is a workhorse. If you upgrade to the shelix you might be able to recoup some of the cost by selling the original head.

Well, this thread is moot - he sold it before I could get there to look at it. Back to Plan A.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Be well,

Doc

Dj 20

Don,with you being up in the Boston area where furniture making begin and all those big WW shops,surly you can fine an old american made (old Arn)PM,Rockwell,etc. jointer.I always see the old arn at a good price on ebay.I bet you could fine one in your local paper.To me,part of the fun is the HUNT Good Luck