Thread: bought another Unisaw... (pic)

Bought another Unisaw... (pic)

Dear All,

Well, it happened again, I went to an auction looking to buy one thing and left with another. The auction ad mentioned a few pieces of equipment and hand planes. I went for the planes, I have all the machines I want and need. There were about 15 hand planes, and *every one* of them had been dropped and welded back together. I did buy a #7 that will make a good user for $25. I also bought a box lot full of Stanley blades, lever caps and frogs for $20, soon headed to Ebay...

Then they came to the Heavy Arn, first up, a Unisaw. It was the venerable model 34-450, made here in Canada in the mid 60's. It had a Uniguard, popup splitter and a 1.5hp 110/220 (single phase) motor, currently wired for 220 with a mag switch. Even the front dust door was on the saw, nothing was missing or broken. I already have two Unisaws, and I had no intention of buying a third, but when bidding stopped at $400, I looked around and since no one was countering, I hollered, $410! That was the last bid and I bought another Unisaw for $410 CDN ($310 USD)

(it is the Unisaw in the middle)

There were beatup Delta 1460 lathes, but I already have one that I restored and I didn't need two more. Both were single phase and sold for $90 CDN ($70 USD) each. I almost bought them, but I had no way to get them home, since my toy truck (Ford Ranger) is only rated for 800# and a Unisaw and two lathes were not going to fit on. If I didn't buy the Uni, I think I might have
    bought 'em both and fixed them up.

Oh well, I will find some way to use it...

Thanks,

David.

Every neighbourhood has one, in mine, I'm him.
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 03-10-2004 at 8:29 AM.

Good grief, David! Any auction I ever go to around here, never has nice stuff like that or it goes for so darn close to new, it's hardly worth it. I think you scored BIG time on that one! I've always thought it would be real neat to have a second TS setup just for dado's, especially the way I work. You know the type: Cut enough pieces for a project, switch to the dado set, screw up one of the pieces and have to switch back again to cut a replacement! You've got yourself a worthy gloat, David!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

If I was at that auction. I would have stopped at $600 US and it would have sold for $1,400 US, with me shaking my head.

I never get a deal on anything at an auction around here.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis

Thumbs up

Dave, You just can't have enough Unis around the shop.
    Great score.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Hey Dave, Why don't you bring that puppy to Halifax and I'll give you a return load of Birdseye

I have been looking for a used Uni/General for two years and have yet to find one. I have one already but need a second for a dedicated setup.

Sounds like London is the place to buy tools, will have to check it out this summer when we head there for holidays, my wife is from London and all of her family are still located there.

Andy

Great find on the Uni. I have the exact machine in my shop that I got
    from a used machinery dealer. The 1 1/2 HP motor has the power of a
    motor that is much more powerful. I did upgrade to a Unifence and a
    homemade motor cover.
    You should not have any problem selling or trading this tool if that is
    what you decide.
    Nice bandsaw too.

Great deal!

I bought another Unisaw for $410 CDN

Wow, I'd love to find a deal like that. I'd leave the right tilt for dado use. Good score!

There are some old irons out there with dual arbors...I've seen a couple in pictures here and there. THAT would be cool to have. Two TS in my shop...no way...no room but perhaps one of these days!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Was that an "estate" auction or an auction house that had all that machinery?

If it was an auction house it looks like i might have to borrow my dads truck next time i visit my sister in london ( i highly doubt i could fit any heavy iron in my 2-door sunfire)