Thread: jointer question

Question jointer question

I'm trying to decide on an 8" jointer. The ones I'm looking at are:

Grizzly G0500 8" x 75" Jointer with 4 Blade Cutterhead
    Grizzly G1018HW 8" x 65" Super Heavy-Duty Jointer with Handwheels
    Shop Fox W1684 - 8" Jointer

Everything points to getting the G0500 because it has the 4 blade cutterhead and it's 75". On the other hand, I do like the pedestal power switch on the Shop Fox which has a 3 cutterheads and is only 70". I just threw the 1018 on here as an alternate.

I know table length is important, but I really like that pedestal power switch. I'd like to here some opinions. Also, let me know if there are other models in this price range I should be looking at.

thanks,
    chris

Hi Chris,

You might also look at Sunhills 4 knife model. I believe it is a bit less expensive than the one Grizzly sells.

I bought one and added the pedestal switch myself. It was just a matter of moving the stock switch to a 1x4 mounted on the back of the cabinet. It works great and so does the jointer.

If you are interested in pics, I can email you some.

nic

Additional Suggestion

Chris -

Let me add another to your list - <a href="http://www.wilkemach.com/OnlineCatalogDetailResults.tpl?SearchDetail=303941 9019238&PreviousCategory=Jointers">Bridgewood - BW 8J</a> from <a href="http://www.wilkemach.com/7 ">Wilke Machinery</a>.

A friend purchased a jointer from them. Good value for the money, everything was flat/straight, and delivery was prompt (but you could make it a road trip).

Ted

I own the 0500 griz with the 4 knives. I am very pleased with this unit. i work with figured lumber all the time and find it to be superb with regards to tear out(..or the lack there of). It gets my vote.

DonnieR

Thanks everyone, I decided to run over to Grizzly and pick up the G0500 this afternoon. I also picked up the G0555 14" BS.

chris

Congrats

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Stahl
    Thanks everyone, I decided to run over to Grizzly and pick up the G0500 this afternoon. I also picked up the G0555 14" BS.

chris
    Chris -

TWEEEEEEET! Have to assign a personal foul and a technical foul for a stealth gloat. Just snuck that bandsaw in there, huh? Good thing you didn't have any more room in the truck!

How about a review after you get it set up and running?

Way to go,
    Ted

It was indeed a stealth gloat, but I have ordered all new equipment and I was planning to wait until it is here and setup before my big gloat. Most of it has arrived.

I will indeed by happy to post a review when I'm up and running.

thanks Ted!
    chris

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Stahl
    It was indeed a stealth gloat, but I have ordered all new equipment and I was planning to wait until it is here and setup before my big gloat. Most of it has arrived.

I will indeed by happy to post a review when I'm up and running.

thanks Ted!
    chris
    I have but two words for you, Chris:
    1) Congrats
    2) PICTURES!!!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Wow! When you decide to get something, you don't fiddly diddle around. I've been lurking to see what 8" jointer to get as well. I had originally decided on the Bridgewood but the shipping is over $300! For the price of the Bridgewood + shipping, I can get a Delta DJ-20. I was also considering the ShopFox W1684 since I also liked the post switch. The only place that I found selling them was an outfit in so. CA and I'll have to pay $70 sales tax. The shipping is only $110 though. Total out the door would be around $1050. I really don't want to hassle sending stuff back that was damaged in shipment or not made right out of the factory. I would rather pay more $$ to get quality. Still trying to decide and any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'll probably decide on something this month wity your valued help.

Stan
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    I have but two words for you, Chris:
    1) Congrats
    2) PICTURES!!!
    Thanks John! I've taken some pictures, but i need to unpack and put some of this equipment together. Probably a week or two before I'll have everything together and I will be able to get around the room.

chris

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Smith
    Wow! When you decide to get something, you don't fiddly diddle around. I've been lurking to see what 8" jointer to get as well. I had originally decided on the Bridgewood but the shipping is over $300! For the price of the Bridgewood + shipping, I can get a Delta DJ-20. I was also considering the ShopFox W1684 since I also liked the post switch. The only place that I found selling them was an outfit in so. CA and I'll have to pay $70 sales tax. The shipping is only $110 though. Total out the door would be around $1050. I really don't want to hassle sending stuff back that was damaged in shipment or not made right out of the factory. I would rather pay more $$ to get quality. Still trying to decide and any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'll probably decide on something this month wity your valued help.

Stan
    Stan,
    Well, since I've decided to be more serious about woodworking, I figured it was time to spend some money to get some decent equipment. I had been contemplating a 6" ShopFox jointer for several weeks, but after reading the opinions of others here in the creek, I decided an 8" was a must.

I would really like to have the ShopFox because of the pedestal power switch, but I live an hour away from the Muncy Grizzly and liked the extra 5" of table on the G0500. Plus, there were plenty of favorable reviews of this model.

I'll definitely post a review when it's together and running.

chris

I dunno about those post switches. They're OK if you have lots of shop space to dedicate to the jointer. But in my old shop, I kept the jointer next to the TS so they would essentially share infeed/outfeed space. The post switch would've limited my TS capacity as the very top of the jointer fence was about 1/4" below the top of the TS.
    My plan in my new shop is to stash the jointer under a bench and pull it out when needed. It will always be hooked up and ready to go, just pull it out a foot and turn on. Again, post switch wouldn't work.
    Just a thought for those of us with small shops. I like the idea of it, just not practical for me.

Jay
    Jay St. Peter

At my location (Redding,CA), I have to consider shipping since there is no place here to buy an 8" jointer. All we have is Sears and HD for tools. The ShopFox 8" will cost me $880, The Bridgewood $1,300, the Delta $1,300, and the Sunhill $804, Those prices include shipping. What I really want is a quality machine that requires very little tweaking and no damage to get it going. I'm just as concerned about that aspect as I am price. I just got a machine that I had to do a lot of stuff to get it up and running satisfactorily and really don't want that hassle again if I can avoid it. Any further ideas, folks? Thanks.

Stan
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith