Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations on a Chainsaw

Recommendations on a Chainsaw

I have recently found a new friend who is a tree trimmer -- said he would keep me in green wood -- Now i need a saw -- suggestions?

Eddie

Blog Entries
    I picked up this at Lowes when I decided it was time to upgrade from a small Craftsman I had.

20" Bar and i'm happy with it.
    Remember, you are NOT your post count.
    American & Proud
    ~Powermatic 3520B~
    "The GOLDStandard since 1921"
    Graphtec CE5000-60, FlexiSIGN PRO 8.6v2, Refine MH871,
    Photoshop CS5 Extended, Illustrator CS5, CorelDRAW X4, Wacom Intuos3 6x11, Wacom Cintiq, Dual 24" LCD's on MoView Stand, GraphixCALC Pro 2.0.4, QuickBooks 2010, Grain Fraim.

Eddie, Husqvarna is a great saw - I cut all my segments with one. Seriously, They're terrific saw in all sizes.

I have the same model as Scott and think it's an excellent chainsaw. It's the second Husqvarna I've owned in 25 years. I got mine on EBay from a good dealer. If you want I can check who it was it's been a while since I bought it.

Eddie - I have the Husky 357XP with a 20" bar and love it! Now I can rip a large maple log in seconds - it used to take me minutes - if I could get my small McCullough started!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Stihl MS310 with 20 inch bar and antikickback chain..
    Last edited by Chris Barnett; 02-16-2008 at 11:06 PM.

yep.....310! got it and love it!
    The Country Toad Workshop Rogersville, Al

I vote for Stihl as well

I have 3 and love every one of them.
    (own a lot of land, and use the wood to heat, one saw for myself, and the others for family and friends).
    Good thing about it is, you can't buy them at big box stores, you must purchase from a Stihl dealer!!

HTH
    John

Just wish I could get a longer bar...say 26-inch ; with a sharp chain, I think the engine might have the power.

Eddie, what do you intend to do with the saw? That will determine what you need to get. I assume you'll want to rip logs for turning so you need a swa with a long enough bar and good power (ripping is harder than cross cutting and it is easier to to do by cutting the length of the log as opposed to across the end grain).

Also, get a ripping chain (Baileys is a good source or you could have a local saw shop grind it for you; the top angle across the tooth is much shallower).

The Husqvarna 357 mentioned is a great saw, but pricey. The 359 is very similar, cheaper, and almost as powerful, plus it isn't as peakey.

Another good option is go to HD and check out their Makita used rentals that they sell. The 6401 is a well-regarded saw and they are actually made by Dolmar (high quality German saw, invented the chainsaw actually). A lot of saw for not much money. If I can ever justify buying another saw it will be one of their used Makitas. It has more power than you'll need and even if it didn't you can replace the piston and cylinder with the 73cc parts since the saws are the same otherwise.

Probably your best bang for the buck.

Husky or Stihl are generally the top recommendations. I have a Stihl for my gas chain saw, but also have a Remmington electric unit for "in shop" use or quick trimming around the house. The Stihl replaced a "consumer" chainsaw product that died after only cutting one tree...what a waste of money that was. And it was out of warranty because I didn't use the first time it until after a year past purchase. The Stihl starts in any weather no matter how long it's been sitting and works reliably. It's been a pleasure to use. (I have the 029 Farm Boss with an 18" bar)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Another vote for Stihl. I have the 310. It starts no matter the weather or if it has sit for 6 months.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Count me in on the Stihl crowd. I have a 290 w/ 18" bar and it works great. My dad has an old stihl and says it still fires every time.
    Kevin
    Insert witty saying here.

Stihl or Husky. But if your friend is a tree trimmer I'd ask him. He's probably got more saw knowlege than you can shake a stick (or log) at.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Howard View Post
    I have recently found a new friend who is a tree trimmer -- said he would keep me in green wood -- Now i need a saw -- suggestions?

Eddie
    Husky & Stihl are both great saws, I have owned both. Either one would be a good choice.

However, if you have a tree trimmer friend and the wood will be delivered to your home, I think, (with the price of gas and oil today) some consideration to the best electric chain saw one can find would be a good bet. No fuss no muss, pull the trigger and it starts. Work well indoors as well.

When I was younger my Grandfather had me at one end of a two man saw. That worked for him.