Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible New Customer Idea

Possible New Customer Idea

I happened to be parked directly in front of a smoke shop that been there a year or so and I just today noticed a sign in the window that said "Gifts of all kinds."

I went in to talk to the owner, and sure enough, they have a great selection of laserable items, anodized lighters, wood cigar boxes, knives, glass items and more. He had never heard of a laser before, and after our chat he's anxious for me to go back with samples. I told him I could even engrave on a cigar (anyone tried that, did I lie?)

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

You didn't lie.

Thanks Darren! I thought I'd remembered someone doing it before here. I'll buy a couple of cheapies over the weekend and try it. He only sells "top end" cigars.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pelonio View Post
    Thanks Darren! I thought I'd remembered someone doing it before here. I'll buy a couple of cheapies over the weekend and try it. He only sells "top end" cigars.
    I also thought I'd seen Einstein on toilet paper That wuz you now wasn't it Joe??

bRUCE
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

If you cut through the outer leaf wrap of the cigar, does that not make it leak air and hard to smoke? I think I'd rather burn rubber in my shop than smell tobacco ..yuk..
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Volden View Post
    I also thought I'd seen Einstein on toilet paper That wuz you now wasn't it Joe??

bRUCE
    Yes, but for some reason no one has asked to buy that.

Sammamish, WA

We've done cigars with its a girl/boy engraved on them. Also some cigars come in a glass tube that will etch nicely without having to take the cigar out.
    Doug

Equipment: Universal 35W Laser, Roland Vinyl cutter, Roland SC-540 54" Solvent Print / Cut, HP L25500 60" Latex Printer,
    Seal 6500 Dual Heat 60" Laminator, Kodak 9810 8x10 Dye Sub, Kodak 6850 6x8 Dye sub, Nisca Color Plastic Card Printer,
    16x20 automatic Heat Press

Do you need an attachment ?

Do you need the rotary attachment for cigars or are thet done just laying flat ? Jim
    Rabbit Laser HX3040
    Corel Draw X3, Photopaint
    Newly Draw (very basic)
    Photograv

You can do pens, cigars, and other tubular items without a rotary attachment as long as your image goes down the length of it, in other words a line of text works fine.

For people that have done cigars what do you charge? I'm thinking $10 setup and $2 each?

Sammamish, WA

Joe

Cigar smoking is a very pricey habit. These people spend lots on all the accoutrements of smoking. I think nearly all of these can be engraved and personalized. The humidors can go as high as $1000 but lighters, cutters, knives and ashtrays as well as pocket cigar containers can all be engraved.

My son is an aficionado and I purchased what I thought was a nice humidor for him and engraved it. Then I went into a cigar store and saw how much their humidors were.

Well, at least his is personalized.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I'd go for more like $8-10 per cigar. Chances are you aren't do it for someone buying their cigars at CVS. You're talking about big ticket items with big ticket spenders. I just finished some inlay work on a humidor that will be in the $2,000 range. Sitting in his shop, he's got about a $15,000 humidor he's finishing up.

It's a status thing as well. Don't undercut yourself on cigars.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I must have been in a discount store without realizing it.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    I just finished some inlay work on a humidor that will be in the $2,000 range. Sitting in his shop, he's got about a $15,000 humidor he's finishing up.
    When you work on such an expensive item, will your business insurance cover it if you ruin it, say with a stray vector cut while engraving, or beam head crash into the wood?

I made sure, and did have a claim they took care of when an employee ran a slice through the paint on a van while installing lettering.

Sammamish, WA

Luckily, I'm only working on pieces of it, like the lid. It's in an unfinished condition when I do my work. So there's time and material involved from the customers end, but certainly not at the finished product level.

I take a lot of precautions when do work on it, since it's usually some rare hardwood. I usually tape a piece of poster board to it and run the graphic in the paper enough to change the color. I measure it all out and make any adjustments and then I usually watch it while engraving. I don't worry about z crashes, but I do pay a lot of attention to the job when it starts and when it's running.

So far, we're all good.

I went out at lunch and went into a local cigar store. Saw lots of $1000 humidors in there. Probably the same stuff Mike's seen. The stuff I'm doing work on is custom made to order.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

The finished $1,000 dollar ones are what I was looking at yesterday, and after I spoke to the guy wondered what I might be getting myself into. Something like that due to the risk has to be worth $100 on a $1,000 item. I use your posterboard method sometimes too, great "just to be sure" trick, like measuring twice and cutting once.

Sammamish, WA