Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anti fatigue mats

Anti fatigue mats

How many use anti fatigue mats in their shop. I have a wood floor & after all day standing my back & legs hurt. Will these mats help? If you got them on line where did you get them?

Jay: I use them throughout my shop and I believe they do help. I got them on sale at my local woodcraft store. Can't remember what I paid for them. They're scattered around like throw rugs. One major drawback however, is when it comes to clean up time. Sawdust, dirt, and debris gets in the cracks between them and under them. To thoroughly clean my floor, I have to pick 'em up, set 'em aside, sweep, then replace 'em.

Jay, I've got concrete floors, and I have one bundle set up in front of the TS. It's about 4' X 6'. I have another bundle waiting for me to finish building the shop stands and tools so I'll know where to put them. I got these as a gift from my parents last year, but I think they came from Big Lots. Seem to do a decent job. It's in the 50s here this weekend. and I sat on this matt yesterday assembling and modifying a Herc-U-Lift for my SCMS stand I'm building. (Wasn't made to work on something with this foot print), So I was literally up and down off this thing all day. I was very pleased with it's performance. I'm sure the other brands out there are even better. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Hey,

I have some buldging disks in my back so I hurt all the time, not just in the shop, but I have a hard time standing a long time with out them, I picked mine up at Lowes for 10 bucks, about 50% what they are at woodcraft, hope this helps...BTW, I just have one and move it around if I am going to be at a machine for a long time, otherwise it is in front of my bench.

I use one and have old carpet in other work stations , concrete floor , yes I think they help . Even if it's 90 % mental it's 10 % better than nothing

Sounds like Yogie Bearia(sp) eh !

Shop mats

I use some remnants from some horse stall mats that I had left over from when I put them in the barn. They are 3/4 inch thick and I have noticed a big difference. I use them by the lathe when I am making pens. They don't move around very much because they are heavy. I think a 4 by 6 foot mat weighs in at around 100 pounds. Hope this helps.

Rod<---in Appleton, WA

Have you tried a decent pair of those gel-filled shoe inserts? They work amazingly well for me - and a whole lot cheaper than dropping $$ on mats to find out you don't like stumbing over and cleaning around them.
    - Tom

mats

I use these from sams on my concrete floor
    http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/nav...=5&item=331314
    They help a lot with sore legs and are easy to pick up for cleaning or just vacuum off.
    I also leave a couple loose to lay down on floor to kneel on when needed.
    Plus you can turn them over for bright colors

harbor freight sells a similar type, for a bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by terry hansen View Post
    I use these from sams on my concrete floor
    http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/nav...=5&item=331314
    They help a lot with sore legs and are easy to pick up for cleaning or just vacuum off.
    I also leave a couple loose to lay down on floor to kneel on when needed.
    Plus you can turn them over for bright colors

harbor freight sells a similar type, for a bit more.
    I also have something like those. LOML picked them up at Costco's.

Gary

myself don't like the foam ones my heels tend to sink in more so it's like walking uphill. the horse stall mats are cost effective and extreamly durable. I cut them down the middle for two mats.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

Another thing about the mats is that I have saved a few tools that hit a shock absorbing mat and not the concrete floor.

I got mine at PepBoys (on Sale) - I think they were like 7 bucks a package. 4 packs did ALMOST the whole walking area of the shop (I have a SMALL shop). Another pack would finish it off - but it's an area that's mainly a route between the backside of the workbench and the side of the TS - so I really don't stand there much.

They are certainly worth it. Only downside is that you can't really sweep the floors - you have to use a vac (or DC) to get the dust up. On the up side - they do hold on to the dust - so it doesn't just get kicked around.

I have concrete floors and bought the ones from woodcraft. They help my feet a ton. I hadn't thought about my legs or back.

Be very careful with installing mats in your workspace! We installed these type of mats (pepboys, see pic I attached)) in my shop a few months ago. They felt really nice for the first week or so until I started noticing some very disturbing knee pains. Turns out that they were too soft. Your weight would make your feet slightly sink in, and when you went to turn your foot would stay planted and twist the knee joint slightly.

I went ahead and laid OSB over the whole floor area.
    http://woodsshop.com/How%20To/23A.htm

Our legs and back still feel tired at the end of the day, but no more knee pains.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I use them and get them from U-Line. They really make a difference when I'm spending a lot of time standing on the shop floor. I actually need to get more of them down in a few areas. One of the things l like to do with the ones I use is buy them larger so I can custom fit them to the machinery and workstations that are being covered. That also helps keep them in place.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...