Thread: Jointer guard missing

Jointer guard missing

Hi,

I just acquired a very OLD Delta Rockwell 6 inch jointer (free). It is approximately 50 years old. I fixed the motor (bad contact in the centrifugal switch ... thanks Creekers for the motor thread), and now it runs great. Just one problem ... the guard is missing, and from reading the threads on jointer safety, I think it is wise to get one before using the jointer (even though every time I look at it, it begs me to run a board through it).

Does anyone know where I can get an after market or replacement guard? There is a hole in the bed to accept one, so I would think that I should be able to find one that would fit ok?

Thanks,

Phil Giangarra

I'm sure someone will know more than me, but if I were you I would just contact delta, I am sure the part is available as I would imagine a new one would fit it...Just measure the diameter of the hole in the bed and let us know what it is then one of us can measure ours and if it matches you are good to buy a new one...

Jason,

I measured the hole at 1/2 inch in diameter. I took a better look at the machine, and the spring mechanism is still mounted underneath the bed, so it looks like I only need the vertical rod and the guard itself (if I can find matching pieces). If not, I can remove the existing spring mechanism and replace the entire unit with a new one.

I appreciate your offer to see if your jointer has the same diameter rod. It would save me time returning the wrong part.

Thanks

Phil Giangarra

Philip, a quick search found that Delta repair parts are available online at: http://www.dewaltservicenet.com/. I'll warn you though, the site sucks - especially the black lettering on black background!!!

Anyway, I did find the guard listed as part #1340126 for $23.19. It's listed as fitting the following model jointers:

37-190, 37-195, 37-196, 37-275X, 37-285, 37-866, 37-866X, 52-858, JT360

Unfortunately, I could not find a phone number to servicenet, but they have all the numbers for the service centers. You can call your local one and go from there.

Good luck and be well,

Doc