Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drum roll please, here is my shop

Good luck Ben, and keep us posted.

Oh, to be out in the country!! However, wifey won't hear it...city girl to the core!

Nice space!!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Only one comment...YOU SUCK!
    Kidding of course.

However, you can bet that someday I'll come down to see ya. That is just too cool.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

OOOOH! OOOOH! Now you have room for that lathe with 140 feet between centers! That's what I'd do if I had the money, anyway.

Nice shop, can't wait to see finished pics!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    Oh, to be out in the country!! However, wifey won't hear it...city girl to the core!

Nice space!!
    I know what you mean. Spent 5 years in 5 story condo. I need some room to spread out. Luckily my wife likes a nice big yard. And really 10 min to town is not bad at all. Small town though. Has most everything you can need. 2 borgs, 2 lumber yards, couple hardware stores, decent woodworking store, cheapy china tool store, even a discount place that sells fasteners real cheap by the pounds. What else could anyone want.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Gastfriend View Post
    OOOOH! OOOOH! Now you have room for that lathe with 140 feet between centers! That's what I'd do if I had the money, anyway.

Nice shop, can't wait to see finished pics!
    For the next time you need to turn bridge pilings...
    _Aaron_
    SawmillCreek Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Koehl View Post
    For the next time you need to turn bridge pilings...
    I was thinking of making a shop made wind turbine if I had a lathe that big. 130' pole, and say 80' blades. I don't think my town would make a big deal over a home made one that big.

For the powerhead I would just duct tape together about 120 alternators off junk cars. "Spare the duct tape spoil the job" Red Green

Blog Entries
    OK, My shop will fit in the corner of one corner of your shop(12x20) I can only give you this advice......wear comfortable shoes for walking from one end to the other.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Quote Originally Posted by NICK BARBOZA View Post
    thats right down the road from me!! i thought that scenery looked familiar! it looks like a great sized space with plenty of room to grow. I'm jealous... enjoy!

Nick
    Hey Nick,
    I read your reply and I had to go back and look at the picture again. What scenery? It only shows a tree and some grass. That sounds like something us Oregonians would say to each other.

Made me smile! Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Cadotte View Post
    I know what you mean. Spent 5 years in 5 story condo. I need some room to spread out. Luckily my wife likes a nice big yard. And really 10 min to town is not bad at all. Small town though. Has most everything you can need. 2 borgs, 2 lumber yards, couple hardware stores, decent woodworking store, cheapy china tool store, even a discount place that sells fasteners real cheap by the pounds. What else could anyone want.

Oh man, do you have it bad!

Ben, the first thing I thought of when I saw the original post was "old chicken barn" Since the second floor was removed, did the carpenters install trusses for the new roof? If so, you might want to get an engineer out there and see if you could remove all the old first floor support posts.

Just a thought.

BTW, congrats on the new shop!!!

Joe
    Vortex! What Vortex?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mioux View Post
    Oh man, do you have it bad!

Ben, the first thing I thought of when I saw the original post was "old chicken barn" Since the second floor was removed, did the carpenters install trusses for the new roof? If so, you might want to get an engineer out there and see if you could remove all the old first floor support posts.

Just a thought.

BTW, congrats on the new shop!!!

Joe
    I have not looked to see if they used trusses. Either way they did it the roof is still on top of the second floor joists. So I would have to pull the second floor out and lower everything back down. Not worth the trouble.

Now in the not so near future I think I am going to take down about a 40' length of the building and rebuild it. I would like taller walls for an area to work on my Jeeps with. Would be nice if they were trusses as the only thing I would have to do is build new wall and reuse the trusses. House needs work first. At least a good effort so wifey is happy.