Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High Protein Spalted Wood

High Protein Spalted Wood

This weekend I picked up a couple pieces of wood from a roadside yard cleaning pile. They weren't very large, maybe 7" in diameter and had obviously been a standing dead tree and showed some spalting. Not one to pass on spalted wood....I took it home. This evening I decided to see if this wood had enough substance left in it to turn.

While roughing the outside of the bowl I noticed some very pleasing spalting along with many worm holes, some open and some compacted. With all the varying textures, this could be an interesting bowl.....

After reversing the bowl and about an inch into the inside, I came across a large hole in the center of the bowl. When I stopped the lathe, I discovered this large grub! I carefully turned down to expose more of him and was able to extract him intact. He was about 2 inched long and half inch in diameter at the head.....

I don't know what kind of wood this is...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - Arlan

We shape clay to birth a vessel,
    yet it is the hollow within that makes it useful. - Tao te Ching

Wow, great find , nice wood. you might want to turn the rest of those logs before they eat you out of house and home.. Keith

Blog Entries
    Kill those lil buggers and keep on turning!

Wow thats gonna be real pretty.
    Remember, you are NOT your post count.
    American & Proud
    ~Powermatic 3520B~
    "The GOLDStandard since 1921"
    Graphtec CE5000-60, FlexiSIGN PRO 8.6v2, Refine MH871,
    Photoshop CS5 Extended, Illustrator CS5, CorelDRAW X4, Wacom Intuos3 6x11, Wacom Cintiq, Dual 24" LCD's on MoView Stand, GraphixCALC Pro 2.0.4, QuickBooks 2010, Grain Fraim.

I've used a boric acid powder/borax soap recipie dissolved in water at almost boiling, so you can get it almost supersaturated, and applied with a garden sprayer for killing termites in some cherry that was punky in the middle when I cut flitch slabs. Killed the termites for sure, and only left a little powdery residue when dry; this was easily washed away. No staining to the wood. I'm guessing it would probably work for grubs as well. I don't know for sure. I'm sure a web search could tell you.

Nice piece you got there. I Can't imagine the poor worm how dizzy got there after you were done. That will teach him not to eat from the wrong tree.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlan Ten Kley View Post
    I don't know what kind of wood this is...
    Apparently, it was "dinner wood" for certain parties....

Very nice piece!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Spalted Wood

Arlan,
    This wood looks alot like spalted Hackberry. It should make a very pretty bowl if the little bugger left any!
    Kurt Bird

Thumbs up Spalted Bowl

That is a great looking bowl. Is the bowl turned endgrain. I am new to turning so I don't know much about how you how U turn to show all the spalting. I do know, I love the looks of spalted wood.

That is a very nice bowl.

Dan

Arlan, nice bowl, great spalted lines in the wood, and thanks for the pictures! Nice of you to save the poor grub from his immanent "death by gouge" Looks like you put him in the shavings pile so he can live to see another day.

Dale
    Jet1642-2hp (Mayo Lite)

Beautiful spalting Arlan - going to be a great bowl! You are a lot luckier finding the residents than I am - I usually end up wearing them!! A whole nother reason to appreciate a faceshield!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Beautiful piece of wood. Normally I get the bugs splattered on my face schield before I find them.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Like Bernie, I find um when they go splat. In the case of termites and carpenter ants, I "Nuke" them in the microwave till I hear them "Crackle"-----UMUMMMMMMM Good!

The piece you have looks more like Spalted Maple. Hackberry, at least around here, spalts black and the wood is whiter.

Bruce
    "The great thing about Wood Turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed to have something beautiful. Nature does tha Hard work."

M.H. Woodturning, Etc.
    Peoria, Illinois 61554

Trust me...! This was not the only treasure to reveal itself in the process of this bowl! Good thing is...they were a lot smaller!

Dan, this bowl was turned with the grain of the wood perpendicular to the axis of the lathe. This is the usual orientation for bowls. End grain turning is when the axis of the grain of the wood is the same as the axis of the lathe. It is often used in making boxes as the dimensional stability of the pieces is high, creating a lasting good fit between the lid and the box. Hope this helps!
    - Arlan

We shape clay to birth a vessel,
    yet it is the hollow within that makes it useful. - Tao te Ching

Where can I find that Borax recipe for spraying? I think I need to do a little on my wood pile so the bark beetles don't eat my shop down...

Looks like you got some nice wood there. Can't wait to see the finished product!

Those grubs get on my nerves. Sometimes they fly across the room and splat on the wall. Other times they hit you in the face. That's partially what the shield is for.