Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steel City Drill Press Purchase

Steel City Drill Press Purchase

I decided to not wait for the oft-delayed Delta drill press (now due out in May) and instead went with the Steel City 17 inch model. I bought it from Glenco Machinery just outside of Sarasota FL. Good folks.

Except for lifting and installing the (heavy) head, I was able to assemble the machine myself. Everything was well packaged and went together with no issues. Saw no signs of damage. Like everything in my 2-car garage shop, I installed it on a low center-of-gravity mobility kit. The chuck is dead-on with no vibration or runout. I bought the optional laser lights and took the time to align them precisely. Great feature and worth the $40. The belts are simple to change and I don't think I will miss the variable speed feature of the Delta. I especially like the ability to adjust the quill alignment should there ever be excessive wear over the years; not all drill presses have that design feature. I'm told once they're worn, they're worn.

I have the Incra press table on order. The Steel City table is 12x12 and solidly built. Once I install my two vises in the Noden Adjust-a-Bench, I plan to wheel the bench across the drill press table and bore the 3/4 dog holes. That should ease the burden of lifting and handling the 150 pound workbench top!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice and congrats. I wish I would have went with the Steel City, but I got the Delta 17-950L for $300 shipped. Good luck with the drill press! I'd love that 6" of quill stroke.

Jeff, Looks great, I really checked these out at the last show I was at, my DP is on its last leg and really in the market for a new one. If you don't mind me asking what was the cost on this guy...

Congrats on the new DP.

And congrats to Steelcity for making a DP with a REAL quill stroke!

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Miller
    Jeff, Looks great, I really checked these out at the last show I was at, my DP is on its last leg and really in the market for a new one. If you don't mind me asking what was the cost on this guy...
    Ted: The press is normally $469.00 but has a $75 rebate until the end of March or April, making it $394. The Steel City laser was $39.50. The Delta was going to cost over $900, so the difference will pay for a great set of brad point and forstner bits!

Hi Jeff,
    I'm in the same boat- old DP wearing out and beginning to think the new Delta 20"er isn't worth the wait and the extra cost for some fancy features. Did you have the chance to see one in person before you decided, and is the laser site two crossing lines ?? I'm not sure who retails these in my area or if they are mail order only. Thanks, and Congrats. JCB

Quote Originally Posted by John Bush
    Hi Jeff,
    I'm in the same boat- old DP wearing out and beginning to think the new Delta 20"er isn't worth the wait and the extra cost for some fancy features. Did you have the chance to see one in person before you decided, and is the laser site two crossing lines ?? I'm not sure who retails these in my area or if they are mail order only. Thanks, and Congrats. JCB
    Laser is two crossing lines, and setting up is very intuitive and effective. I had seen the press at last year's Atlanta show; that's where I compared it to the Delta press. My local dealer is only a 45 minute drive away so I picked it up in my Forrester SUV (it just fit!) and saved any shipping charges.

Hi Jeff, I just ordered the same drill press and was thinking about putting it on a mobile base too. Do you see any issues with the stability of the drill press on the base? If not, can you let me know what kind of mobile base you purchased for it?

Steel City DP

Ordered mine last week with the laser. Glad to know that you like it. I'm a sucker for gadgets, and I really didn't know how effective it would be. I have vision problems and really have to work at it to get things accurately centered, so I figured anything would help, and if not, I wouldn't be any worse off either, well, maybe just $39.95 poorer! Any how, should be getting it any day now!
    So, congratulations and thanks for sharing!
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McDonald
    I have vision problems and really have to work at it to get things accurately centered, so I figured anything would help, and if not, I wouldn't be any worse off either, well, maybe just $39.95 poorer!
    Jim, depending on how bad your eyesight is, you may want to get a younger pair of eyes to at least fine tune the laser system. It takes a bit of patience to get it just right . . . it's not difficult, just requires a little trial-and-error to get it just right. Once it is set up you shouldn't have any problem seeing the cross lines.

jeff , that looks alot like my drill press, you are really going to like it.
    The only time you mustn't fail is the last time you try. Charles Kettering

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Roth
    Hi Jeff, I just ordered the same drill press and was thinking about putting it on a mobile base too. Do you see any issues with the stability of the drill press on the base? If not, can you let me know what kind of mobile base you purchased for it?
    The stability seems to be the same or slightly better with the mobility kit (the wheels extend the area of the base). I used a Shop Fox kit, the smaller of what they offer. Not sure of the model but the smallest one that will accomodate the approximately 13 x 20 drill press base. I assembled the mobility kit and inserted a 3/4" plywood piece into the Shop Fox, drilling four holes, one in each of the four corners. I then bolted the drill press base to that using two 3/8" bolts. If you get the SHop Fox, be careful not to over tighten the assembly bolts that go into the side frames. There is a chance they can strip. When I laid the press base onto the plywood bottom panel, there was some unevenness, so I first used some shims to stabilize the base to the plywood before bolting.

Thanks Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Wright
    Jim, depending on how bad your eyesight is, you may want to get a younger pair of eyes to at least fine tune the laser system. It takes a bit of patience to get it just right . . . it's not difficult, just requires a little trial-and-error to get it just right. Once it is set up you shouldn't have any problem seeing the cross lines.
    Appreciate the advise, have already enlisted the help from one of the younger fellows....wait a minute, they are all younger, but i digress..to help set it up.

Anyone know where I can order a SC Drill press laser that has them in stock??

Mike
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick
    Anyone know where I can order a SC Drill press laser that has them in stock??

Mike
    Glenco Woodworking Machinery, Inc.
    2025 Whitfield Park Loop
    Sarasota FL 34243
    941-727-8300
    www.glencomachinery.com

Ask for Joe. He just got a shipment in.