Hello All,

I have been lurking and learning and finally want to introduce myself and ask a question. It seems that I have been woodworking my entire life in one capacity or another. Like many in my family I was introduced to lumber at the cabin where my grandfather kept us busy chopping firewood, stacking kindling, and moving a stack of log cabin siding. My cousin's and I still laugh about moving that stack every summer. The addition to the cabin taught me the basics of rough construction and the need for levels. A marble released in the NE corner could take 5-10 minutes to come to a stop in the middle of the room. I have slowly been learning cabinetry and finish carpentry as needed to improve my house. Which brings me to the question about raised panel doors. My beatiful bride wants the cabinetry in our '60's vintage rambler updated with new drawer boxes and doors. Not a problem I reassure her, I can turn out a few raised panel doors using a matched rail and stile router bit set. Not so fast says she. Flat panel shaker style doors with 1/4 rift sawn oak plywood are the goal. So my question is can I use a matched tounge and groove router bit set to make these doors? My concern is that this set only makes a 1/2 inch tenon on the rail and that this joint will not be strong enough. Standard rail and stile sets make a 5/8 inch tenon, how important is that extra 1/8 inch? Bear in mind that I'm trying to avoid haunched tenons at the moment. So that's my quickie introduction and dillema. Thanks for the help in advance-Chris