Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Are kids allowed in your shop?

My daughters are allowed to visit me in the shop, but must knock on the door first. They are not allowed in there alone or when I am using any of the large machinery. If they want to do a project, we work on it together. (My girls are 8 and 12)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My father introduced me to his woodshop when I was old enough to hold a hammer. He progressively added tools to the list that I could use on my own. I've loved woodworking since.

I've done the same with my three children (now 10, 8, 8). When they were old enough to crawl in, I would let them. My shop was "baby proofed" nearly as much as my house was. They really enjoyed playing in a pile of saw dust, building their first birdhouse and making windchimes as teacher gifts.

I helped my kids understand, from an early age, what a danger improperly used tools can be for them (even a wooden mallet can trun your thumb into a throbbing reminder). They don't have complete freedom in the shop yet but soon will. Helping them learn proper tool use, safety gear, and even shop cleanup is as much fun for me as working by myself on a project.

I enjoy woodworking as a hobby so can defer project work to "kid assistance" pretty easily. If I were making a living in the shop, I might have less time for tutoring during the day but they're in school then anyway.

Proper instruction in the shop not only makes for a safer child and good memories but also sets them up to be a lot more self sufficient when they leave the nest.

John
    Cut once, bandage twice!!

Thing 1 (age 6) and Thing 2 (age 3) are my little cleaning machines and they fairly
    regularly are in there arguing over who gets the shop vac and who gets stuck with the broom.

They LOVE to draw on scraps with markers and their mom has quite the collection of art from them.

My rules are simple, appropriate shoes, ear protection, eye protection, no power tools (other than the shop vac) and they must ask before they use something.

I love to have my kids out there and my fondest desire is that they develop an interest. Thing 2 is starting to and I plan on building them little benches of their own shortly to keep it going.

BTW: I have always kept the TS locked and the jointer unplugged (which I sometimes forgot) but I recently installed a knife-switch disconnect that dumps the power on both at the same time - and that gets locked.
    Last edited by Larry Fox; 02-20-2008 at 5:08 PM.

My little guy is 19 months. My shop is in the basement and I've always kept all tools unplugged unless I'm using them. I'm glad because one of the first things my son did when he would walk in the shop was to go straight to the Unisaw and jab the on button.

He loves stacking my cut-offs and I keep a pile of blocks in a pile just for him to play with. I don't let him in if I'm using any power tools. Not only to prevent mangled body parts, but I don't have any eye/ear protection that will fit him.

I think one of his first 10 words was 'shop'.

Jim,

My answer is absolutely yes - although if she's two years old, might need to be very cognizent about dust and filters and the such. Of course, 2 year olds are also really good about getting into trouble being curious anywhere they are. Be it shop, in kitchen cabinets (like baby proof the house as well as the shop and pay attention to any respiratory precautions as well as physical dangers, hearing protection while you're out there with her). Seems like you're aware of all the safety stuff anyway; so I think it's fine.

By the time we really were about 7-8 years old, seriously, we could go in the shop anytime we wanted, use any power tool including table saws, grinders, drill press, torch, arc welder, lathe, radial arm saw. My Dad had a really well-equipped shop and we freely used it all, no holds barred. It was fun "being raised in sawdust." And I celebrate that freedom we had as kids as well as what we learned to this very day. While my shop is smaller than my Dad's, it's pretty much laid out in a similar fashion and my husband built the benches and storage shelves. Mostly what I do is wood turning, have my Dad's old lathe we used as children and then have a nice big lathe as well.

Sure, as is age-appropriate, include your kids in your shop as they grow up. We weren't as safety conscious then as perhaps you are and I am now (respirator/DC/filter, safety glasses) but no serious injuries as kids, good common sense, and a heck of a lot of fun for a life time hobby of enjoyment not to mention very fond memories of my Dad.

Best wishes,

Jude
    Last edited by Jude Kingery; 02-20-2008 at 4:50 PM.

6. My grand daughters like to ride the slider.
    They enjoy occasionally goofing around with the hand sander.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Folco View Post
    My little guy is 19 months. My shop is in the basement and I've always kept all tools unplugged unless I'm using them. I'm glad because one of the first things my son did when he would walk in the shop was to go straight to the Unisaw and jab the on button.

He loves stacking my cut-offs and I keep a pile of blocks in a pile just for him to play with. I don't let him in if I'm using any power tools. Not only to prevent mangled body parts, but I don't have any eye/ear protection that will fit him.

I think one of his first 10 words was 'shop'.
    Yeah, every time my daughter sees a picture in a woodworking magazine or book, if the person in the picture's face isn't visible, she automatically thinks it's me and says, "Daddy shop!"

No one! Exceptions are attractive woodworking assistants who can beon camera. With a lot of new tools under review, it is neccessary and convenient to say "no visitors."
    John Lucas
    woodshopdemos

For some reason my 2 year old thinks all power tools are "robots".

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Heppeard View Post

PS. I grew up on a farm around all kinds of machinery and guns. I wouldn't trade my childhood for anything.

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Kids are welcome in my area, dependant on what I am doing at the time. Power tools are usually powered down at the breakers anyway.

I let my granddaughter roam around the other night while I did some cleanup. She's only 16 months. Set her on a stool (with arms) and let her play with the bench dogs. That kept her entertained for a long time. I hope she will always come out to the shop and hang out with her poppy. I would love nothing more for her to take an interest in wood.

Now if I am doing cutting, varnishing etc, then the area is off limits for safety reasons.

My 13 year old will start turning his own pens as soon as I get a couple items out of the way. He quite excited to be allowed to do it. Looking forward to teaching him!
    One good turn deserves another

My kids are allowed everywhere that I am with very few exceptions.

It is a learning experience that should be used for what it is.

They can't come to work with me until much older. That is one experience they really don't need to have.

Mine were both young when building the house and they were there all the time. Education and training are key and it is dependent on each kid.

Both of my kids started shooting with me at or before 5 so the shop is no different. You should see the looks the picture of my 6 year old daughter shooting my M4 carbine gets. She is pretty good and will be much better than me well before she can own her own. Hopefully woodworking will follow suit.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

My 8 year old daughter loves to come out to the shop when I'm there.
    She nails and screws all of my scraps into some wild creations....
    she has helped in some small way on all the projects I have made in the last 3 years. It might be just a little sanding or wiping on some finish in a hidden corner. I wouldn't trade the time for anything. Now she wants to learn the scroll saw....

Blog Entries

best place for math lessons

As long as you use common sense and don't let the kids out of your site I think it's a good idea to let kids in the shop. My only two rules are no touching anything without my OK and the kids have to play in the yard once the power tools go on.

My 8 year old daughter will do her homework in my shop. Sometimes she'll pretend that we run a store. She takes the orders and I build what our imaginary customers want. A lot of time I'll ask her to measure stuff for me or to "help me" with math.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Patel View Post
    I think we're better parents when we share our passions with our kids. The goal should be to figure out HOW to integrate them into the shop safely - not WHETHER.

I think this says it. What better time to teach your kids the 'right way' to do things in the shop. Of course, age appropriate for task at hand.