Thread: Combo Machines and M&T

Combo Machines and M&T

For my Minimax combo jointer/planer, and several other of the euro-style combos out there, an optional mortising attachment is available. I believe it's kind of pricey ($1400 with a Wescott self-centering mortising chuck and bit set). I'd like to add M&T joinery to my bag of tricks/skills, but I suspect I'd be well served adding a jig or tool of some sort to my toychest first, and I'm wondering if the attachment for the combo I have is the recommended way to go. I'm guessing that for $1400 there are several cheaper alternatives. Does this attachment give me the cat's-meow of mortising machines?
    Last edited by Dave Novak; 02-20-2008 at 4:48 PM. Reason: spelling

Other alternatives...

I have never used those mortising attachments. I have been using a Woodrat for loose tenon jointery, and have been very happy with the results. Recently got a Festool Domino, and like that too. Then there is also Leigh FMT, which I don't have. All of these options are cheaper than the mortising attachment. However, I am not sure if it can do certain things that the options I listed cannot do.

Well no

No the "Cat's Meow" of M&T machines is the multi-router It is basically the stationary version of what the combo machine offers. I don't have one because of cost ($2700) and space. Here is a link if you want to see where you can blow three grand.

http://www.jdstools.com/index.asp?Pa...n=Custom&ID=12

I believe that for the money the domino is the way to go. Fully equipped with a box of various sized loose tenons is just under $1000. But you probably already have what you need to make M&T joints -- Plung Router, Spiral carbide bit, Pecil, square, and a workbench with a vise.

Hi Dave,

I went through the same dilemma. I have a Felder J/P on order, to arrive in a couple of weeks.

I spoke with several Mini Max and Felder owners that have not used their slot mortisers much, since getting the Domino. I decided to get the Domino, and have really loved it. I've used a slot mortiser in a class, and prefer the Domino for it's speed of set-up and use.

The Multi-router is also quite nice, but the Domino will do most of what the Multi-router does, at a much lower price. Not that the Domino is low cost, but it is one very well engineered device for the money. Highly recommended.

Todd

I have the MiniMax Tecno Max elite and the mortiser is a wonderful aspect ot the machine. I seem to use it on every project and I have used other mortising machines and router machines....for me this is the very best way to go! I would get it! I have precision that is dead on! See the link below!

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.p...ortising+table
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Combo machines

It will be the best $1400 you have ever spent.

I have one on my Rojek combo, and when someone uses it for the first time they just smile, for a long time.

john lawson

I agree with Marc and John. I have the Robland Combo and the horizontal mortising attachment is my favorite part of the machine. Simple and safe to use, dead accurate as Marc said, and cutting mortises is really fast.

Another positive note for the mortising attachment. Mine's the Hammer A3-31. I use it all of the time.

Hey Jay, How do you like the Hammer combo in general?

Thanks guys, all I needed was a little support before I plunk down that kind of cash.

Dave -

PM sent........

I use the slot mortiser on my MiniMax combo regularly... does a great job. Even had a job that required 252 mortises in ipe - no problem.

The Multirouter is twice as expensive, but I know a woodworker who got one (besides David Marks) because he makes a lot of chairs, and apparently it handles angled tenons better.

I guess I am low-tech on this one, but I just use a plunge router with a $5 hardboard base with some basic hardware, right out of Woodsmith magazine. It holds the router on the edge of the board without any play, and is simple to make.

Doc