Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leigh FMT or Festool Domino

Leigh FMT or Festool Domino

Well, any opinions?

Not trying to get people flaming. Just interested in what people have to say.

Chuck

speed vs. flexibility.

FMT will accomodate a larger range of tenon sizes and offers additional flexiblity, but can require up to 15-20 minutes to set-up (even if you're good).

The domino can fully tenon an end table in 30 minutes with double tenon's for every joint.

The domino may have a slightly more limited range of applications, however it is the fastest unit I've seen in producing these joints and they are SPOT on accurate. I've not put my Dom through its paces yet, but so far I'm impressed as can be.

mike

Blog Entries
    I'd have to agree with Mike. I put 30 dominos into a faceframe and had it done with finish on it in about 2 hours from sticks to done. I have never used a FMT though. With the Domino you can put a M&T in the middle of a flat piece then go right to a table leg in 30 seconds. I guess it would depend on what you will ues it for as well.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Mike is basically right.

I'll just add that the FMT handles a very wide range of tenon sizes, down to 1/16", which is why I bought it. Also, 15 - 20 minutes for set-up sounds a little long. For me it's closer to 5 - 10 minutes. If you just do normal furniture stuff, Domino is the way to go.
    AKA - "The human termite"

I have a domino and like it but there is nothing like a real M&T. Anyhow that being said if it is a production envirment and time is money the domino is the way to go also you would never M&T a face frame but the domino can do that.
    -=Jason=-

I have both & will keep both. There are joints I can make with the FMT that I cannot do with the Domino. If I could only have one. It would be a Domino.

Quote Originally Posted by jason lambert View Post
    also you would never M&T a face frame but the domino can do that.
    I am not sure I am reading this right. But I M&T all of my face frames with a hollow chisel mortiser & table saw.

Blog Entries
    I used my domino to build the faces of my cabinet and to attach it to the box. No screws. Only time will tell but I don't think it'll go anywhere. I also use my Domino to make a slide lock for small boxes and it works great. I'll be posting pics soon of the box I'm speaking of.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

In the past, I likely would have chosen the MFT because I like Leigh products and ti was one of the better router-based solutions availaible. Today, I'd likely choose the Domino. I like both the portablity and the fast setup it offers. Not to mention I like that company, too...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    In the past, I likely would have chosen the MFT because I like Leigh products and ti was one of the better router-based solutions availaible. Today, I'd likely choose the Domino. I like both the portablity and the fast setup it offers. Not to mention I like that company, too...
    Jim..how long have you had your domino? I would like one as a toy but I'm not proficient enough to justify one.
    Gary

Two different machines with different purposes. I own both and use both as the need arises. The FMT makes joints that the Domino could never make, set up time is in reality more like 10 minutes for the first setup. For face frames and such, the Domino is the only way to go.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Bolen View Post
    Two different machines with different purposes. I own both and use both as the need arises. The FMT makes joints that the Domino could never make, set up time is in reality more like 10 minutes for the first setup. For face frames and such, the Domino is the only way to go.

Roger
    I completely agree!

I have both, and use both, for different applications. I have had a plate joiner for many years, I have had my FMT for about four years, and I purchased my domino when they first came out. I bought it to "augment" my joinery options, not to replace any tool that I already have.
    John

Chisel And Bit
    Custom Crafted Furniture

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Keedwell View Post
    Jim..how long have you had your domino? I would like one as a toy but I'm not proficient enough to justify one.
    I don't own one, Gary. But of the two units asked about, I'd "likely choose" the domino for the reasons stated.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Powermatic 719T Mortiser or Domino?

I'm in dire need of a new mortising system, I've gut hundreds of mortises with my delta drill press attachment, but its time to upgrade. If you could only get one, would it be the Domino or Powermatic 719T (floor model mortiser with tilting table). Thanks.

I choose joints in this order:

1) Pocket screws if the holes don't matter. Super quick, frequently don't need glue, and I can take it apart.

2) Domino joint - faster than the FMT.

3) FMT - I use this when the domino isn't the right size or the workpiece is too likely to twist while plunging. The FMT has been invaluable for the child safety railing I'm making. When the workpiece requires a lot of M&T the speed advantage of the Domino is smaller.