Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shaper/Router Table

Blog Entries

Shaper/Router Table

Whats the differences in the two? Can you do most of the same with either one? Thanks, Sean

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Troy View Post
    Whats the differences in the two? Can you do most of the same with either one? Thanks, Sean
    I don't own a shaper but a router table. I have found that the router table does everything that I need. The bits are less expensive for a router and I think there are more profiles available. Routers are dangerous, shapers are more dangerous. While some hobbyist have shapers, you will find most shapers in production shops. A router table with a 3+ hp router will do about anything the average woodworker needs to do and at less cost that outfitting a shaper set-up. I have made furniture of various types and a kitchen full of cabinets with raised panels and drawer fronts using only a router. I have also made crown molding and regular molding using the router table.

Bear in mind that I have never had or used a shaper and hopefully others will chime in with more information on the subject. Just my $.02.

A shaper is a production tool. You can raise a panel in a single pass with it, because it uses an induction motor to spin the cutters. A router table does some of the same jobs, but even the largest of routers will not hold up to the constant abuse that a shaper will. Couple that with the fact that the shaper can run both directions (feed from left or right) based on the grain direction to prevent tear out, it is very versatile. The cutters on a shaper are also massive compared to router bits.

That said, most people say that unless you are trying to produce a large number of cabinets or custom mill work where a shaper would excel, a router table is much more at home in the average workshop than a shaper.

Doc

Grizzly has a Shaper/router table. It is a light duty shaper that will hold a router bit collet. You sacrifice rpm speed this way. It spins much slower than a router.

Did you ever see the movie "Twins"? Well Arnold would be the shaper and Danny DeVito would be the router table.....

YM

A shaper can do larger profiles quicker. Big mouldings, or even smaller moulding with a single pass. Where as a router on the bigger bits you will need to take several passes for a quality cut. Router bits are less expensive than shaper cutter (smaller). The router can do alot a shaper can, but not all. One thing a router can do, is be handheld. For a first router / shaper I always suggest go with router. Better bang for the buck in my opinion.

One big advantage to the shaper is that a power feed can be used. A power feed can improve the quality of your work more than you think. No burn marks, more uniform profiles and faster work.
    OTOH, it takes more time to set up a shaper and power feed than a router table.

Richard

Yoshikuni...I am laughing out loud. Thank you. That is the single funniest and most accurate comparison I have ever heard. Very concise!

Shapers are bigger, smoother, stronger, and WAY more expensive than a router. Expect to pay $1800 to $3500 for a new name brand entry level Heavy Duty 3HP production machine. Expect to pay three times the cost of the machine for a basic set of cutters. You can find industrial shapers in the $10K to $20K range.

Shapers offer far more profile options than routers, not less. There is probably a greater number of router bits on the market, but shaper cutters are stackable, shapers can use a few basic bits with multiple passes to create complex profiles, and shaper insert tooling, be it custom or stock, indexed or corragated, opens up possibilities a router can't touch. Between the height of the spindle and the diameter of the cutters shapers can create profiles that would be nearly impossible with a router.

Shapers have a reputation for being dangerous, but I disagree. Woodworkers are dangerous. Shapers are powerful and predictable machines. They are VERY unforgiving of your mistakes, but when proper feed and hold down mechanisms are employed they are no more dangerous than any other tool. They also give a better quality of cut due to the gentler exit angle of the large diameter cutters and the higher cutting tip speed.

Routers are flexible capable tools. They excell at mortising, rabits, dados, profiling, flush triming...the list goes on. They also offer plenty of options for shaping and joining wood. The cutters are less expensive so easier to aquire on a budget. Routers can do plenty of work that shapers can not, though for most profiling the shaper is hands down quicker and smoother.

A router is an essential tool for any modern woodworker. A shaper is an essential tool for most professional woodworkers or furniture makers but mearly a very nice option for a well financed hobbiest.

I don't own a router table (or a router, unless you count an EC Emmerich wooden one).

I do own a 3 HP shaper, and made the decision to purchase it as opposed to a router/table for the following reasons;

- you never see a "My shaper table is sagging" thread in SMC

- if you purchase a premium router table (Example Jessem) and a good router, they will cost as much as a shaper. I know, you can make your own, see point above.

- a shaper allows you to use a stock feeder, which improves safety, cut quality and allows climb cutting

- a shaper can accept a cutter head with HSS knives, which produce a superior finish in solid wood, and the knives are about $20 per pair (Look at the CMT set)

- a shaper can run reverse rotation for times when the grain is going the wrong way, or when you want to flip the cutter over.

- a shaper is far quieter and smoother than a router

- a shaper swings larger diameter cutters which can take deeper cuts and have a more optimum cutting geometry

I don't buy the router is safer argument, my fingers cannot differentiate between a 2 inch cutter at 12,000 RPM or a 4 inch cutter at 6,000 RPM.

A quick look at accident statistics will show how many router accidents there are, probably because we don't view the router as being a dangerous machine.

A shaper is also dangerous, however people tend to treat it with more respect and use proper guards, jigs, hold downs etc.

This thread will probably turn into the proverbial chicken/egg thread as far more people own a router table than a shaper. Each has its place, however of I only had space for one, it would be the shaper.

Regards, Rod.

That's interesting Rod. I have been thinking along those lines for a while because I've been looking at some of the premium router tables, and along with the routers the costs can equal or exceed the cost of a shaper. However what has held me back is that I have 2 routers and a small router table, and that the router table seems like it may be more versatile. But I'm not positive.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Quadarella View Post
    That's interesting Rod. I have been thinking along those lines for a while because I've been looking at some of the premium router tables, and along with the routers the costs can equal or exceed the cost of a shaper. However what has held me back is that I have 2 routers and a small router table, and that the router table seems like it may be more versatile. But I'm not positive.
    Same situation here. Thats why I posed the question. Thinking about woodworking takes more time than doing woodworking some days

Many good points here. I would just like to add that, in truth, a router table and a shaper should not be considered "mutually exclusive". In spite of their apparent similarities, they are really quite different as many have pointed out. A router will never have the power or capacity of a shaper. And a shaper will never have the versatility of a router/table. Although some shapers attempt to "cover all the bases" by providing router collets as well as spindles, I know of no shaper that can hit 25,000 RPM, essential when trying to push small diameter bits through hard wood with any expectation of a clean cut. And I have yet to see a router that can power a full sized panel raiser stacked with a back panel cutter in one pass.

YM

A few good reads.

Shaper Handbook by Cliffe
    The Shaper Book by Lonnie Bird

There are also a lot of articles on finewoodworking dot com - a great subscription by the way.

I have both tools and each has its place and function in my shop.

Rob Will Guest
    I just came home with a Bench Dog router table. After many months of wondering about the same thing, I decided to get a router table first. My thinking is that I don't make raised panel cabinet doors that would require big diameter cutters. If I do need a shaper, my friend has one I can use.

Rob

I have a shaper. I will be building a router table (most likely in a tablesaw wing) for those times I don't want to break down the shaper.

A power feed, even a baby feeder is worth its weight.

Just to add, unless you are doing a lot of big profiles you don't really "need" a shaper but there are distinct advantages when you get into panel raising, making crown molding and the like.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"