Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Weekend Doin's"

Smile "Weekend Doin's"

Friday February 22nd, 2008

George Washington's B-Day.

This has been a rotten week for me. I've had a cold most of the week and I'm still not better, although it is starting to break up.

It's been cold here the last few days. Highs in the teens, lows below or just above ZERO. We're supposed to get a little reprieve for the weekend and may even see a temp above freezing, before our next snow storm hits the first part of the week. Just what we need. This was trying to get some seed into the feeder for the birds. If we get much more snow I'm going to have to grow taller [not much chance of that] or get some snow shoes.
    IMG_1174.jpg

With my cold I won't be doing very much of anything. Sleep, watch some TV, sleep some more. I'll try and catch some of the golf as well as the California race.

I'm guessing there are some plans being made for the weekend by those of you not sick like me. I hope you all have a great weekend and accomplish all that you set out to do.

Karl
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

Morning Karl.......first let me say that I hope you start feeling better. We've had about as much rain down here as you've had snow (little warmer though!!), Its kinda getting old but I'll take what the good Lord thinks that we need.

Plan on finishing the install of our pantry unit, I have it in with all the drawer/sliding shelves adjusted, just have to hang and adjust the doors. I won't trim it out until I have the unit on the other side of the room installed. After I finish this I have 5.5' of upper utility cabinets to build for a client, this shouldn't take long they're real simple out of paint grade material.

Hope everyone has a GREAT weekend!!!!!!
    David

I plan to finish an inlaid tea tray for LOML and start on a mobile cabinet for my compound miter saw. It's mounted on a wooden platform and I'm getting tired of carrying it from here to there.

Snow = MONKEY WRENCH!

Morning Karl.....to second Dave's post, I hope you get better soon enough for some "quality time" in the shop this weekend. We are in the middle of a snowstorm here in NE PA - I usually wouldn't mind, however my new Accura Drum Sander is supposed to arrive today....the snow will definitely throw a monkey wrench into the delivery and off-load plan!

For once I get to say that I'm going to be home and NOT working on a bathroom. I'm planning to start on my Festool Sysport clone since I think I've accumulated all the materials needed.

I have two papers to write for class. Unfortunately I have procrastinated a little too long so I will need to get at least one finished this weekend.

Last night I was able to get my new bandsaw (one of many gloats) onto the mobile base with the help of my wife. I was really surprised how well the adjustable design held up. I was expecting it to fail miserably.

The replacement parts for my new lathe came in so I was able to fire up the lathe last night. Virtually no vibration. I am very happy with it so far.

I think I will try resawing some of the cherry I bought recently to test out the new saw. I am sure the 3HP will have no problem with it.

I'm going to finish cleaning up the used jointer I bought and then install an electrical sub panel in my shop. Right now I've only got one 220V circuit and one 110V that shares with the lights. I'm pretty sure that if I run my jointer and DC on that 110V with all the lights on that it will trip the breaker! If I've got time left over I'm going to start working on a cart for storing sheet goods.

Of course, all of this is subject to change because yesterday I found a sagging ceiling panel in my basement with a water stain. Hmmmm... This weekend may be more about "Tim the Plumber" than "Tim the Carpenter".
    If I could ever finish working on my shop, maybe I could find the time to start working in my shop.

Blog Entries
    Get well soon, Karl

Where is the "Waterpark Capitol of the World"? I ought to know this!! I just can't come up with it. It certainly isn't in Orlando ( the snow was a dead giveaway)!!

I'll be spending some time working on two Pub Tables. Maybe afterwards I'll have a couple of friends over to try them out. An "elbow bending contest" maybe.

I just brought this little puppy in from the shop, after cleaning a little "partly cloudy" off the driveway and fetching my hand truck from the shed. Didn't want any mishaps and have this thing end up as kindling.

A new piece for the family room, sitting next to Mama Bear's chair. Mahogany and lots of brass in the campaign style. I bought the drawer pulls and chest handles but made all the corner angles from sheet brass. Lots of coats of General Finishes water based top coat and lots of elbow grease for the finish.

Waiting on the stone cutters to cut the granite slab for the top.

Have a good weekend.

Ron
    Attached Images Attached Images

Morning Karl... DW and I both dealt with the cold/flu thing. Not a picnic. Hope you get feeling better!

I really want to spend some time in the shop working on the dining room buffet/hutch for DW. Got all parts basic cuts done. Started cutting dadoes and tenon on the dust frames and got one glued up last weekend. I hope to have the frames glued and dadoes in the side panels to start, as Norm would say, some "asssembally". I was hoping to build a buffet and hutch with a china cabinet before camping season begins. But at this pace, it's not looking good.

Golf from CA in HD! They are playing in CA, aren't they? Yes, and the race, also in HD. Hopefully these two warm and sunny scenes will take my mind off the snow currently falling ouside my office window as I type. Shoot, if it keeps snowing like this, I might have time to finish the dining room furniture before I'm able to get the camper out from under the snow!

Alot of people fighting the flu. We have a skeleton crew in the office this morning. I hope all of you who are dealing with it get feeling better very soon.
    Have a great weekend!
    Last edited by Steven Shelby; 02-22-2008 at 9:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Verstraete View Post
    Get well soon, Karl

Where is the "Waterpark Capitol of the World"? I ought to know this!! I just can't come up with it. It certainly isn't in Orlando ( the snow was a dead giveaway)!!
    Wisconsin Dells Dave.

Currently, there are 5 resorts that have indoor waterpark facilities, the largest of which is the Kalahari with an indoor surf riding pool as well as all the other indoor waterpark stuff.

One of the resorts, The Wilderness, has 3 or 4 indoor water parks [I've lost track they're building all the time], as well as 4 outdoor water parks. Each of the other resorts has their own outdoor waterpark as well as their indoor park and there are two other outdoor waterparks not affiliated with a resort complex.

Noah's Ark is the most famous that stands alone and is only open in the summer. It bills itself as the largest waterpark in the world.

So there you have it. In the summer you have in the neighborhood of a dozen different waterparks to choose from in the greater Wisconsin Dells area. I don't think anywhere else on the planet has that many, hence "Waterpark Capital of the World".

Karl
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

Hey Karl,

You ought to move to Idaho......We were 53ºF yesterday......Supposed to be in the low 50s again today and through the weekend. Snow....well I can see some up near the top of the canyon walls but it's mostly gone even in the surrounding areas where the roads drifted shut two weeks ago.

This weekend I hope to make some more progress on finishing the last DC pipe circuit and then I can finally start using my new tools and making sawdust.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Warming up a little. Lots of cleaning to do paint, and packing.
    Back to work.
    Play safe
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Supposed to be home, but still at work out in Victorville CA. Out here to inspect / watch a landing gear change on 2 of our storage planes. Was supposed to start yesterday but all they managed to get done was move one plane from storage to about 800' from the hanger. Company doing the work is short handed so its going to be a long process.

Wife called and said 2 boxes came, which means 2 new routers are sitting at home waiting for someone to put them to use. So no woodworking this weekend for me. When I get home need to go get about 75bf of cherry for a project the wife wants. Have it designed up, just need to get home to do it.

Blog Entries
    FINALLY! I'll be finishing ther Humidor. I also have to get all my stuff ready for the art & wine festival in Carefree AZ next weekend. I've got a big investment in this event, I hope it goes well.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.