Thread: Used a bead router tonight.

Used a bead router tonight.

First time I've used this. Won it on ebay, and cleaned it up tonight and gave it a go.

Its like one of those sash routers. Ovolo. Preston. But, instead of a sash, it cuts a 1/4 inch bead on a curved edge.

Took some photos for something to do, since its too late too turn on the machines.

pic 1 - thats what it looks like.

pic2 - High bed. Shouldn't tear much with a bed like that I'm guessing.

pic 3 - Just cut a mild curve on a bit of scrap with my new bandsaw (thanks Tom. Love it) Just pushed it like a spokeshave. Its got two blades. The blades have the same profile, and I just use the blade thats cutting the cleanest. so your always cutting with grain.

pic 4, 5. a nice sort of detail I thought.

Only worked on a mild curve though I noticed. I tried first with a tighter curve and the sole wouldn't drop properly.

I liked it. Its like a scratch tool, but it cuts faster, cause your not scraping, and the blade won't wear as fast.

Put it on the shelf now, and probably won't use it for 2 years. Better put some oil on it eh.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice looking late model coachmakers beading jigger, although I prefer to pull rather than push spokeshaves and scraper tools. There are a whole group of tools that are more or less unique to the coachmaker trade, and they have uses other than coachmaking.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Mind me asking if it was a gloatable price? Only asking cause I'm a Preston accumulator.

T.Z.

Very nice, Jake!!

(BTW, there is a tutorial at the top of the Forum Technical Support forum on how to do in-line pictures so you can mix your shots and text all together)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Jim. I'll try that that next time. Just having troubles with this computer. This seems to be the only way that works at the moment. I fear if I do anything different the thing will start playing up.

I find these tools interesting. I have a 5/8" sash or lambstongue (different names all over it seems) pic 1. which I've used a couple of times. But for what I do, I'd like a smaller version of it. Maybe 3/8" if they exist. Thinking curved glazing bars on cabinet fronts, and I'm not too fond of modern ogees in cope in stick router sets. The old ones sweep deeper. Looks better I think. So, if anybody wants to sell me one of them, I'd appreciate it.

Tony... I got mine for $25 (AU)
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....MEWN:IT&ih=008

I've got a preston 5/8" bead you may be interested in (pic2, 3, and 4). Its too big for what I need. It used to be my grandfathers, and I have no need for it.

I'm trying to raise some money for some other tools, so if you want it you can have it for $50

Im just basing that on what this fella charges. The ones in good nick are around $80, so I figured 50 be about right (since he's a dealer ) http://www.hansbrunnertools.gil.com.au/Users-8.htm

I don't know how costly international shipping will cost you though.
    Attached Images Attached Images