Thread: Router table add ons

Router table add ons

I have the router table shown here:
    http://www.amazon.com/BOSCH-RA1181-B...3694208&sr=8-1

It's a good little router table that I bought when I was starting out. The surface is a little on the small side and I don't have much bench space for it, so I was thinking about buying or building a bigger one floor standing one. But I've decided I like the top and the fence, and it works well, so instead I'm going to build around it.

I was hoping for suggestions on 2 things. The first is the little stand - I want at least 1 drawer in it for bit storage and maybe a shelf. Any suggestions on whether I should do this cabinet style or bench style? Any simple plans out there?

The second thing that I'm having a little more trouble figuring out is this. The table has notches on the sides, it looks like they are there to allow expansion. I was thinking to use them to attach extensions for the table. But I'd like for them to be able to lock up and fold down, because I'd rather not take up that much shop space when I'm not using it. Anyone have ideas on hardware for this, or some other mechanism? The table is 18" wide, and I was thinking adding 18"x18" squares to it.

Peter-
    (I enjoy yr posts, btw):

My 2 cents:

I also have a b-top rtable. If I were you, I'd consider making one. You can buy a top, an insert, and a fence even, but you can make the cabinet easy. An enclosed cabinet will help with sound and dust collection. Wood Magazine had good plans on a mobile router/tsaw table that fits the bill. You can google it.

Lots of people combine the tsaw and router table. IMHO, the router and the miter saw are better companions. Consider making a long bench where the router and the miter saw share the same fence. This will provide much needed infeed and outfeed support for both tools. The cabinet for the router table can be enclosed under the bench with a swinging door that will allow access to change the bits easy. The only trick is that the fence would remain stationary. The deck has to be split where the router is, though, to allow it to be moved relative to the fence.

If yr gonna buy something, you might consider getting a pkg with an included router lift. Man I wish I had one of those.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 02-22-2008 at 10:57 AM.

Thanks Shawn. I have a somewhat untraditional setup in that I am buying a large bandsaw, and the bandsaw, the router table, and an EZ Smart PBB will be the main components in my shop. I don't have (or plan to buy) a table saw, and my miter saw is in the closet and I am contemplating selling it. So I do need a standalone unit for the router.

I will take a look at some of the tops out there, but I like the idea of folding table extensions anyway (my shop is kind of small), so I'll probably try to incorporate that into whatever I do.

I've made a small router table for my EZ PBB. The top slides into the SMEs and on one end I've attached a small box underneath the top where the router is held. This small box is held with smart clamps to the rails that are mounted to the sides of the PBB.

Sure wish I could find that camera cable -- I would prefer to provide a picture!

I can slide it off when it gets in the way.