Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sharpening Husky 455 Rancher chain? Correct size file and file guide

Blog Entries

Question Sharpening Husky 455 Rancher chain? Correct size file and file guide

I'm picking up some walnut logs in the morning, but my 2 chains are DULL.

I never sharpened a chain before, hence the second chain.

What sized file and file guide do I need for the 455 Rancher?

20 inch bar came on it.

I really need some TIPS on this one!ASAP

Thanks.
    Remember, you are NOT your post count.
    American & Proud
    ~Powermatic 3520B~
    "The GOLDStandard since 1921"
    Graphtec CE5000-60, FlexiSIGN PRO 8.6v2, Refine MH871,
    Photoshop CS5 Extended, Illustrator CS5, CorelDRAW X4, Wacom Intuos3 6x11, Wacom Cintiq, Dual 24" LCD's on MoView Stand, GraphixCALC Pro 2.0.4, QuickBooks 2010, Grain Fraim.

Your saw is probably going to need a 7/32" file, but maybe a 3/16". It depends on what type of chain you're using. Oregon makes a good clamp-on file jig, as does Granberg. Both of them are more or less the same in quality and design. Expect to spend $25-40. You can set the depth rakers with them also. I have one of the grinders from Northern Tool, which is an exact copy of the Oregon 511A grinder, NOT the plastic framed one. I spent about $90 on mine, which performs almost as well as a $250 grinder.

Long story short, you should do a web search on chain filing. Oregon has a tutorial that is relatively easy to understand for new users on their site. It explains all the angles and importance of filing depth rakers.

http://www.oregonchain.com/tech/tech_guides.htm

Why dont you ask the place where you bought the stuff??

I would think they should know.

I'd also mention that since this is obviously a new saw, I'd richen up the oil mix a little bit--maybe run 40:1 gas/oil mix instead of 50:1, and de-tune the engine a little bit. That is, turn the high screw a quarter turn or so counter clockwise. With the engine running, you should hear a drop in the rpm level slightly as you do this. If it goes up in RPM, you turned it the wrong way. There is a high and low jet. Don't adjust the low jet screw.

By doing this, you'll "break in" your saw safely, and the rings will seat without overheating and scoring the cylinder.

Take it easy for the first 10 tanks of gas through it or so. There are a lot of opinions on this, mine is no better than a lot of other people's. I frequent a chainsaw forum, and this seems to be the most-often suggestion; turn the RPM down, and richen up the oil mix. It just keeps the saw in the best possible conditions to break it in right. Don't let anyone tell you they don't need to be broken in. I've seen the inside of cylinders after people just run them wide open throttle (WOT) and its not pretty. Translation; new saw needed.

Be safe, and don't forget your PPE (personal protective equipment). I have a pair of kevlar chaps, and steel toed boots, as well as a Stihl forestry helmet with goggles under the mesh, and good quality gloves. I'd seriously consider buying some chaps. A decent pair can be bought for little more than $50, and could easily save your life. Check out this video:

http://www.labonville.com/videos/v2.htm
    Last edited by Nathan Hawkes; 02-22-2008 at 7:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Stevener View Post
    Why dont you ask the place where you bought the stuff??

I would think they should know.

I think I can see the "Lowe's" sticker in the picture. They're pretty much useless.

Nathan, I have a Husqy saw (372xp), and out of the box, they are tuned to run 50:1 on Husqy brand oil (all mine has seen). They are also tuned a touch rich for until they are broken in--you're supposed to have them serviced and leaned out a bit after so many hours.

Check the manual, it should have a chart giving you all the particulars on the bar and chain you have, including file size.

I also wouldn't worry about "taking it easy" on the chainsaw. It's a 2-cycle engine--they're typically designed to be run full throttle all the time.
    Last edited by Jason Roehl; 02-22-2008 at 7:01 PM.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

file size

File size is dependent on chain tooth size not chainsaw model or bar length. Most small engine shops that carry chain saws will grind your chain for a few bucks. Good to have a file on hand for touchups but I always get mine sharpened on a grinder. Chain wears a lil faster but they cut so much better than hand filing.

Blog Entries
    It runs perfect.

Bought at Lowes and you really want me to ask them?

They had NO clue when I bught the saw what file was needed for it.

I ended up buying the Husqvarna 3/8" file kit guessing on my own at time of purchase last year. It says 3/8" file kit across the package top but then next to the 2 files in the package it has 7/32" (5.5 mm) printed The package also lists H42, H45, H46 ect but no 455. Neither of the file kits they carried has a 455 listed on the package.

The lowes clerk didn't even know they had the files.

I'm looking through the manual AND husqvarnas web site right now and can't find an answer.

Pic of saw was when new ive cut lots of logs with it since then. I bought it last year.
    Last edited by Scott Hubl; 02-22-2008 at 7:09 PM.
    American & Proud
    ~Powermatic 3520B~
    Photoshop CS5 Extended, Illustrator CS5, CorelDRAW X4, Wacom Intuos3 6x11, Wacom Cintiq, Dual 24" LCD's on MoView Stand, GraphixCALC Pro 2.0.4, QuickBooks 2010, Grain Fraim.

Well, I'll tell you what. The right size file will fit the tooth exactly. If all you have is Lowes, get one of each size they have, keep and use the one that fits and return the others. Remember to note the size you kept.
    Or bring a chain to Lowes, open a package until you find the file that fits. Buy two, well two generally comes in a pack.

Hint: don't start with a 1/2"..
    Last edited by Bill Stevener; 02-22-2008 at 7:23 PM.

Scott, "H42, H45, H46" are Husqy chain designations, not saws. The file size should be listed in your manual. Be careful--it's NOT the same thing as the chain pitch (which could also be 3/8" with this saw). It should be 5/32", 3/16" or 7/32".
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

just another PPE recomodation... get at least a good pair of earplugs I got the helmet with the face shield and headphones all in one... not had anything fly of a lathe at me yet but a little branch sure does hurt when it gets thrown at you....

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl View Post
    Nathan, I have a Husqy saw (372xp), and out of the box, they are tuned to run 50:1 on Husqy brand oil (all mine has seen). They are also tuned a touch rich for until they are broken in--you're supposed to have them serviced and leaned out a bit after so many hours.

Check the manual, it should have a chart giving you all the particulars on the bar and chain you have, including file size.

I also wouldn't worry about "taking it easy" on the chainsaw. It's a 2-cycle engine--they're typically designed to be run full throttle all the time.

I run a modded 394XP and a stihl MS-361. Both Husky and Stihl dealers locally suggested running a higher ratio mix. The reason I mentioned the WOT is because I run both of my saws for long duration at WOT, not just a 5-10 second cut at a time. I have a series of bars for slabbing with a Granberg alaskan mill, up to 42". I use the stihl for a small bandsaw mill. I guess I'm stuck in the mindset of running the saw for 10 minutes per cut. I wasn't aware that Husky detuned their saws out of the box. I bought both mine used, so I didn't know they came richened up. Just didn't want to see a brand new chainsaw user end up with a toasted piston & cylinder the first time out.

edit: I'm relatively certain that Husky chain is Oregon chain, as Oregon makes their replaceable tip bars. Regardless of make, the bar itself should be stamped with the gauge of chain, and the number of drive links in it. That should be able to tell you what file to use.
    Last edited by Nathan Hawkes; 02-22-2008 at 7:57 PM.

Blog Entries
    here a link to the manual on amazon scroll down some in PDF

Im not sure what there info means on page 38?http://www.amazon.com/Husqvarna-Fore.../dp/B00080MIJI
    American & Proud
    ~Powermatic 3520B~

which part?

Blog Entries
    The part that tells me which file to use to sharpen the saws chain.

The manual has no instructions on sharpening.
    American & Proud
    ~Powermatic 3520B~