Thread: WoodRat

WoodRat

Anyone out there own and use a woodrat, and if so how would you rate it? I just saw on chipsfly.com they are no longer carrying the woodrat and are introducing their own version called the Router Boss. I wonder if they have some kind of licensing agreement to produce what looks like a copy of the woodrat. Any way I have been looking at this woodrat for the last year and I’m wondering if it is worth the investment in time and finances to learn this thing or is it another overpriced gimmick. Thanks for any of your thoughts.

Thumbs up I have a Woodrat and really like it

I purchased mine about four years ago and have used it for box joints, dovetails, and loose tenon joinery, and host of other tricky cuts. It definitely is not a gimmick and works really well. It is pretty much my go to machine for joinery. I would sure buy it again. For me the learning curve was not really a big deal, if you understand geometry, it is actually very fun to use, because you are not following templates, using bushings, etc.

I have also seen that Lewis Stepp (owner of Chipsfly) is coming up with his version. I heard Woodrat has no longer patent protection, hence the router Boss. I know Lewis claims Router Boss is very different from Woodrat, but anyone with a good judgement would easily say that it indeed is very similar in basic operating principle. However, it appears Lewis' version may even be better engineered that the Woodrat with better work holding capability. Lewis is a great guy. I purchased mine from him too. He also had useful accessories at reasonable prices for Woodrat. I suggest you wait and see how Lewis' machine turns up and then make a decision.

WoodRat

John,
    I don't know if you saw it, but there is one for sale in the classifieds, that is discounted pretty good. Check it out!
    Kurt Bird

I have one. It works exactly as advertised. The dovetails are perfect and the mortises and tenons are easy. The routerboss has all the items I have had to buy extra or make myself. I may upgrade to this model. The digital scales are a must for quick set-up.

My WoodRat is 3 years old. Probably because I'm new to woodworking, learning to make all possible joints took me a bit of time. Easy on sliding dovetails and M&T and Box Joints, a bit trickier on Dovetails.

The new router boss is still a work in progress, so if you have time to wait, hold off until all the features are announced. One thing is for sure, there are 2 forums and a really large URL devoted to the WoodRat as support.

Gary Curtis
    Northern California

Hey guys, thank you for all your input. As I said I have been looking a the Rat for about a year now an was ready to pull the trigger when I saw the Router Boss, so now I think I will wait to see how this new version is received by the woodworking community and wait for a review on it. I’m not in that big of a hurry as the tool will be more of a gee whiz type tool than necessity. I have to admit it does look like a joy to use from the demo DVD and it also looks like its uses are limitless. I brought an Incra joinery system about 4 years ago and I’m not overly impressed with the dove tails (thru or half blind) at all. The fit and finish looks machined where as the Rat produces a joint that looks more hand cut. This is not to knock Incra products as I love my table saw fence, and rulers. Again thanks for your input as I have read a lot of reviews, but wanted to personally ask about others experience with the Woodrat before I get one.

I've had mine since 2002. Extremely versatile, and the results are great. I was pleasantly surprised to see that Lee Valley now carries it (in their latest catalog). Lewis is a good guy, too.