Thread: 1/4" mahogany

1/4" mahogany

Can anyone give me some direction on vector cutting 1/4" mahogany.I got a real good price on 4'x8' sheets, and it is helping me straighten out the warped birch I was using on my laser buzz products when used as backs.I have a unniversal PLS3.60.

I wouldn't buy it without testing first. I had a customer bring in some African Mahogany that wouldn't cut no matter what I did, it would flame where the beam hit it and continue to burn after it stopped. A terrible mess, and that was just 1/8".

Hopefully what you found is better!

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

1/4" Mahogany

I cut and burned the 1/8" perfect, but the 1/4" I am down to 1% on speed and it still isn't all the way through.Not sure what else to do.

Mahogany is so dense it may not be possible. A few things I tried that didn't work but might on yours, is to apply transfer tape to it, then wife that down with water to protect the surface. Then adjust the focus to mid-way thru and make another pass or two. Use 30-35 lbs of air assist.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"then wife that down with water to protect the surface."

Should I just wet 'er hair and use it like a mop, or should I throw her in the shower and use the roll-over approach?

Art Anderson

Mahogany

Hi Brian;
    I assume you mean 1/4" mahogany plywood- since you mention 4x8 sheets.
    It isn't the wood that's the problem, its the glue. I cut 1/4" mahogany ply all the time with a 60 watt laser running at about 2.5% speed, 95% power, and drop the PPI down to about 100.
    It really depends on your material and how it's made-can even have variations in sheets bought at the same time. Solid 1/4" regular mahogany (Philippine or santosa) will cut like butter -most of the time. Then again, there are many varieties of wood called mahogany and some are tough to cut.
    If you are cutting large patterns and the wood is warped even slightly, some of the pattern may not cut all the way through because the focus is not right for the warped section. Try cutting sections at a time by refocusing for each section.
    Best regards;
    George
    LaserArts

Quote Originally Posted by Art Anderson View Post

Should I just wet 'er hair and use it like a mop, or should I throw her in the shower and use the roll-over approach?

Art Anderson
    OK, so I can't type.

Sammamish, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Brian J Rogalny View Post
    Can anyone give me some direction on vector cutting 1/4" mahogany.I got a real good price on 4'x8' sheets, and it is helping me straighten out the warped birch I was using on my laser buzz products when used as backs.I have a unniversal PLS3.60.
    Brian,
    What kind of 1/8(3mm) birch did you get? The only time I see that(warpage) is if you only clear-coat one side and on Laser Buzz backs you don't need to clear-coat the backs but if you choose to then I would recommend doing front and back but then you have to use more than just wood glue.
    Have a Blessed day,

Michael Kowalczyk

Laser-Trotec Speedy II 60 watt with 9.4.2 job control and will soon upgrade to JC X
    Corel Draw Suite X6, FlexiSign Pro 8.62, AI CS3 and Lasertype6

CNC Routers-Thermwood model C40 with 4th axis. Thermwood Model 42 with dual tables and dual spindles with ATC for high production runs,
    ArtcamPro 2010_SP4, EnroutePro 5.1, BobCad v21 & v24, Aspire v8 and Rhino 5.
    FOTC link
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/friends.php?cp=210&lp=0&t=0&q=

Quote Originally Posted by Art Anderson View Post

Art Anderson

Thanks for the laugh!

Brian ,

If you are still having problems, perhaps I can help. I cut up to 1/2 mahogany without too much trouble but there are a few ticks I might be able to help you with. Send me a pm . =)

And if you think mahagony is bad , try ebony.

But the best way to cut most african wood is with a scroll saw.

Garry
    Garry McKinney
    A new day is a new chance.