Thread: Very Best Tenoning Jig?

Rob Will Guest

Very Best Tenoning Jig?

What is the nicest made tenoning jig?
    (Heavy is good).
    I need to buy one for my PM table saw.

Thanks,
    Rob

hey rob, where in KY are you, near Louisville?

I bought the PM jig when I bought my PM66 and have been happy with it. Plus it's color coordinated with the saw
    Use the fence Luke

From the ones I have seen. I think they are all made in the same factory. I bought the Delta 3 weeks ago from local borg. The Griz looks the same but $40 less. The jet looks the same except the handles. I really can't tell the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Cadotte View Post
    From the ones I have seen. I think they are all made in the same factory. I bought the Delta 3 weeks ago from local borg. The Griz looks the same but $40 less. The jet looks the same except the handles. I really can't tell the difference.
    Funny. I have a Delta that I had laying around for years and never tried it out because I always did my tenons with a dado blade and laying my wood face down. A few weeks ago I tried it out and like it alot. I fine tune it by putting my magnetic backed indicator against the jig while turning the nob. Perfect tenon every time.
    Gary

The old Delta would be the best add on table saw tenoner. NOT the new "knock-off looks like everyone else unit"

The old one runs from 250-425 depending on where you look if you can find it. It is the same one that Norm used for quite some time on his show (and might still).

Robust is an understatement... it's BEEFY.

If you go to "the auction site" and look up the closed auction 300198085272 you'll see the unit I'm referring to.

That particular one closed out @ 345, which is typical.

mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Spanbauer View Post
    The old Delta would be the best add on table saw tenoner. NOT the new "knock-off looks like everyone else unit"mike
    Mike...I remember them. I think they disappeared in the early 1990s. They were one mean hunk of cast iron! You could melt one down and make a car.

-Jeff

Blog Entries
    I just got the Grizzly & used it for the first time yesterday to cut about 50 tenons & it worked fine for me.
    However the instruction manual leaves much to be desired, I asked some questions on this forum , got some very helpful answers ,downloaded the Delta (Delta's jig looks just about the same to me) manual,spoke to Grizzly tech support & was able to complete the 50 tenons pretty quickly.
    I can't say it's the best because it's the only one I've ever used but I'm happy with it.

Dennis

This is one tool where there is several good ones....

I have tried a few....recently bought the Grizz, and this tool is very underpriced.... exceptional quality... read some of the reviews on Amazon. Had I paid $150+ I would have still been happy with the purchase.

There are a couple different Delta ones for sale (at least a few years ago). The more expensive one is quite nice. I can't say it's been a great buy for me though. I'd look at some of the simple fence riding ones you can make and save yourself $100. For the number of times I've used mine, I'd have been better off getting a shoulder plane to tweak them when I'm done. I can say for certain that my 1 year old shoulder plane has been put to work way more than my 6 year old tennoning jig.
    Jay St. Peter

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Blick View Post
    This is one tool where there is several good ones....

I have tried a few....recently bought the Grizz, and this tool is very underpriced.... exceptional quality... read some of the reviews on Amazon. Had I paid $150+ I would have still been happy with the purchase.

Other than color that is exactly the same jig as my Delta! They are either using the same molds and machining houses or they are all being made at the same place.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I'm sure that you are not going to make it but here is my "rolling" tenon/splice jig.
    It's heavy, about 12 lbs. Never gets sloppy (adjustable rollers pressure) and rolling very smooth and easy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Keedwell View Post
    Funny. I have a Delta that I had laying around for years and never tried it out because I always did my tenons with a dado blade and laying my wood face down. A few weeks ago I tried it out and like it alot. I fine tune it by putting my magnetic backed indicator against the jig while turning the nob. Perfect tenon every time.
    Gary
    Thread-jack - Gary let's see your magnetic do-thingy.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Thread-jack - Gary let's see your magnetic do-thingy.
    I still can't post pictures but it looks (and is) just a plunge type indicator where I replaced the back with a magnetic one that I sent away for. It is great...I just put it down against the fence on the TS or against the tenon jig. I can get my dado's, ripped boards, rabbets etc,...dead on.
    Gary