Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Frank's Workshop Construction Project

Frank, you are one lean, mean, working machine! I'd still be staring at those round painted spots you had several weeks ago! Bummer that the contractor did such a poor job on leveling the piers. On the bright side, you were able to take corrective measures early on and avoid "surprises" later on. Thanks for the update.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Frank, I am enjoying following this thread. Thanks for posting the peridoc updates. Take it easy. Lars

Thanks Kelly, John, and Lars. Knowing that people like you are interested and knowing that I am going to have to report weekly progress actually helps me to continue sometimes when I am engaged in a tedious, cold, or wet activity.

Report for the week ending May 9th, 2004

This week I almost finished the sub-floor. See the spin-off thread entitled "Question re insulating the floor in my workshop". I reported details and challenges re the floor structure and construction techniques there earlier in the week (with pictures).

I did not quite get the floor done because of a light rain all day Saturday and a 7 hour break in the middle of the day Sunday for Mother's Day festivities.

I took the attached pictures early this morning and it shows just how far I did get. One is the "normal" picture taken from the roof of the house and the other is a new perspective -taken from the back door of the house.

I should easily finish the job this morning -it's overcast but no rain is predicted.

That's just as well, because tomorrow morning I am leaving for almost two weeks. A boyhood friend (Terry West) and I are meeting in Ottawa (where I will drop off another load of stuff that we have been storing in our basement at our daughter's new house) and then driving to Lake Pivabiska north of Hearst Ontario. Altogether this is a 1400 kilometre one way trip. We both have cabins on the lake and are going to help each other with several maintenance and upgrading tasks. I am attaching photo of my cabin (on the island which has been in our family for over 80 years).

Also Terry, a recently retired teacher, has written a novel and is launching it in Hearst. I wish the book success but am a little leary because the surname of the "bad guy" in the novel is Pellow.

There will be no progress on the workshop for the next two weeks so there will be no updates either. Also, I am very unlikely to email access while away so you won't be hearing from me about anything for a while.
    Last edited by Frank Pellow; 05-10-2004 at 3:46 PM.

Wow, great looking cabin and setting it's in! I want one of those!

I grew up in the mountains of NM and miss the trees and weather badly, but I'll never get the wife out of Dallas (full time anyway).

Those of you who have read the thread entitled "Book Launch, Cabin Maintenance, and Burned-Out Bearing (or why my workshop is on hold" on the Off Topic forum, will know why there has been no update here for some time and why the next update is at least two weeks away.

I did take some time yesterday to deal with a major delivery of material.

A couple of pictures are attached:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 12-29-2008 at 8:02 PM.

Looks like you got you a good helper there Frank! You'll have it finished in no time!

16" centers

I strongly agree w 16" centers for strength considering weight of tools etc. Small extra investment

Jerry, I am not sure what part of this thread this comment is in response to, but I will guess that it is about my floor. I did use 16" centres ratrher than my original plan for 24".

Report for 6 days ending 12th June, 2004

I finally got back to the construction of my workshop (for four and a half days). I had hoped get all the walls framed during that time, but am only about 80% complete. I am quite sure that I could have finished the task with a long day tomorrow, but that is not to be.

xx

I am attaching two photos that that show most of the wall framing and another one where my freind Emerus and I are putting the 18' ridge beam in place.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 12-29-2008 at 8:03 PM. Reason: Removed material at OP's request

Lookin' great, Frank. And CONGRATULATIONS on your new grand-daughter!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

You sure do have a lot to do Frank....too bad it's cutting into the workshop building process, but then again, I'll bet you're ok with that considering the circumstances!

Looks like you made good progress in the time you had.

Thanks Jim and Kelly. I do consider having another grandchild to be a great privilege and, indeed, a privilege that is worth giving up great construction weather for.

Frank.

Congratulations on the new grand daughter. Its also nice that both of you can be there with your daughter.

The shop is looking great also, you must be getting anxious to see it finished.

How did you make out up north? It would be great to see some closer pictures of the cabin some time.

Take care and enjoy your visit.

John

Ah, good to see the 2x6 construction! I guess you'll get some good R rating out of the insulation you can stuff in that wall plus it'll hold the snow load easily!

The progress may not be what you want Frank but it's looking good!

I'm in the process of gutting my garage...I have a lot of work ahead of me! There will be lots of electrical and some plumbing ahead of me! I'm looking forward to it!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.