Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting project, nice wood, bad design

Interesting project, nice wood, bad design

Well, here's what I cobbled together over the last few weeks. (I'm work in lots of small increments )

I based this table loosely on one done by Scott Coffelt.

I learned a lot doing it because I got to try a bunch of things that I had only read about. In case you haven't figured it out I'm quite new at this hobby but having a fantastic time.

Things I got to do:
    1) Glued board together to make wider board for the tabletop and stem.
    2) resawed the zebrawood on the tablesaw.
    (Now that I have a bandsaw I won't do that again.)
    3) Cut some mortise and tenons.
    4) Played with the Velvit Oil I bought to finish it.

Things I learned:
    1) Not all seat of the pants designs end up looking good, or working well for their intended purposes.
    2) There's a lot to this finishing business.
    3) Mortise and tenons look much easier in a book.
    4) I love the way Zebra Wood looks!

Here's some pics of the table I made. I will tell you what I like and don't like in a second.
    Attached Images Attached Images

What I like:

I love the Zebra Wood! Would like to try making some other projects with it.

The curly maple is ok, but I'm not sure it is my favorite.

What I don't like:

The table is a little too high.

I don't like the design of the tabletop. It doesn't really fit with the base. Not sure if the base and stem work together the tabletop definitely doesn't do anything for me.

It started out with me gluing up some strips of curly maple that I had cut up and then I drew a design on it and cut it out. Then later on I choose the zebra wood for the stem and then the white ash for the base.

Any suggestions on how I could have made this better are more than welcome. I'm not even totally against the idea of tearing part of it apart and rebuilding some of it. Although maybe I would be better off spending my time on something new.

Jeff,
    I too am a relative newcomer to this craft, and also struggle with design. I think you are on the right track though...come up with a design, execute said design, stand back and analyze the work, and learn something from it.
    Now, just my .02! The maple might look better with the boards oriented 90 degrees to what you have them. I like using contrasting woods in some projects, but three in a small project may be too busy. These are just some thoughts, though the bottom line is how it works for you. If we all had the same tastes, all ice cream would be vanilla and all tables look the same!

Mark

I do like the design but like Mark says a little to busywith the difffrent woods.
    Bud Duffy Punkinhook Ranch

Jeff,
    Very nice! I think that it is great that you are attempting new designs rather than following patterns in books. Your designs will become more refined over time , but this is a great start. As you stated, you are learning all of the skills that are common to furniture making. It is a great way to do it. I used to take scrap wood just to learn to cut joints...this is much better and you have something nice to show for it!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

It's nothing six coats of paint won't help. Just kidding

I'm curious how it holds things. with the front "sticking" out like it does... how much weight can you put on it? Before it starts to become unbalanced? or does it? it's an interesting design. The top might look better just round, not sure.

You may be new at this but you at least have to guts to try something like that and for that I applaud you. The woods look beautiful individually but the together...the jury is still out The finish looks good in the photos, what kind were you using and what problems did you have?

Just my pennys.

Jeff,
    I had a thought...if you study some of the older modern classics...it may give you some inspiration...a lot of the great furniture has already been designed...and is worth studing and maybe tweeking to something new that works. The website for design within reach has many such items....let me know if you find something

http://www.dwr.com/
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Quote Originally Posted by Bud Duffy
    I do like the design but like Mark says a little to busywith the difffrent woods.
    I agree with Bud...the one thing that stood out to me is the top and bottom being uncoordinated. That nice figured stock on the top (and the zebrawood) is outstanding, but the base with the flat-sawn grain doesn't work for me. I do like the design, however. It's sharp!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Way to go, Jeff! How do you like VO?

Most what everyone else said: The top and bottom should match or at least have the same pattern...different size is cool. Orient the curly maple grain to match the ash grain (diff woods doesn't bother me).

The shape of the Zebra wood support is cool...I like it. Since the bottom is thicker than the top, the support carries that idea since it is wider at the bottom than at the top but the veritcal heaviness of the zebra disturbs my eye in trying to follow the support. I like the support shape, just not how you oriented it on the zebrawood.

As far as height, that is very subjective...I'll take your word on it!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

All Scott's fault if you ask me.

The good news here is, you can blame Scott Coffelt for the bad design.

I think the table looks great, if your into the those contemporary designs.
    If at 1st you don't succeed, go back to the lumberyard and get some more wood.

Jeff,

I think you deserve praise for committing nice wood like that to an original idea, not really knowing how it would turn out. Good lessons learned.

- Ed

First off, its not my design Jack; second for someone trying something new I think it is perfect. Dammit, you went out and tried something new... good for you.

Give figured Maple some tries, but be careful on the wood choice you use with it. I might have tended to make the base the same design as the top and used the same wood, but hey its still got style. I am a little concerned that the top could be, well top heavy but if there is enough weight in the bottom it won't (could even route out and screw in a steel plate for more butt weight.

Finish looks good.

You could round the top. It takes practice, in the end if you get something that you like... it really doesn't matter what we think. Heck, most of us can't do much better anyways, right? Keep at it.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Salter
    I'm curious how it holds things. with the front "sticking" out like it does... how much weight can you put on it? Before it starts to become unbalanced? or does it? it's an interesting design. The top might look better just round, not sure.
    The bottom is actually quite heavy. The base is about 2.25" thick, so it's not really tippy at all. I think you might be right about a round top.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer
    Mark,

Thanks for the encouraging words. This website looks like it might contain some good ideas. I have been trying to find websites or books with furniture that is a bit outside of the norm. I seem to be drawn to that type of thing. Tough to figure out exactly what search keywords will find this type of site.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    I agree with Bud...the one thing that stood out to me is the top and bottom being uncoordinated. That nice figured stock on the top (and the zebrawood) is outstanding, but the base with the flat-sawn grain doesn't work for me. I do like the design, however. It's sharp!
    I agree with all of you. I didn't feel like shelling out the bucks for 2" curly maple for a base just to match the top on a learning project.

Perhaps just plain maple would have worked better since there would not be much grain. I still don't like the shape of the top though.

Next time...