Thread: Access to a lot of wood!

Access to a lot of wood!

I just wanted to let you know that Grand Rapids, MI (where I live) has a huge tree/brush dumping site. For $25 I can haul away as much wood as I like for a few weeks. I have not taken advantage of it yet, mainly because I already have a ton of wood, and I live in the city. But last Fall the dump had HUGE trees, such as sycamore, oak, hard and soft maple, and box elder. Some were 40" in diameter and already spalted!! So, I would like to extend an open invitation. If anyone is wanting wood, let me know. I can go for a visit, see what's available, and get a permit if you want something. I would be willing to do all of this for $10 plus the cost of shipping. (I would do it for only the cost of shipping, but I am so poor I can't afford the $25 permit). This is not an attempt to make money, simply a service to fellow turners.

Thanks!!

Hutch

So what is keeping you from getting into the turning blank business? Sounds like you have the wood supply down pat.

Hmm, interesting....

I have thought about it before, but I am wondering how feasible it really is. My biggest concern is turnover of inventory. Although, I am sure that if I had that problem I could get it to move by a huge price reduction. Maybe it could work. Who knows, if there is some really nice stuff there this season maybe I will give it a go. Thanks.

Hutch

I've sold 2 or 3 large Cherry turning blanks on eBay. Cut the right size to fit the box and the USPS will give you the boxes delivered to your home free. If you use priority mail that is. Must say, not much money in it for the amount of work it takes...Bill..

where is that at? I am from lapeer I would like to check it out

Grand Rapids is in central western Michigan.

Hutch

I know where Grand Rapids is I wanted name of street and adress

Id

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Kinel View Post
    where is that at? I am from lapeer I would like to check it out
    Butterworth Street near downtown. Bring someone who lives in GR with a driver's license that has an address to back it up. They don't let non-residents in and they ID everyone.

A lot of cities have a "yard waste" dump like this. You're a heck of a lot closer to Detroit, Saginaw, and Flint. Give your city sanitation office a call and ask.

Yes, I would like some details too
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Cam View Post
    A lot of cities have a "yard waste" dump like this. You're a heck of a lot closer to Detroit, Saginaw, and Flint. Give your city sanitation office a call and ask.
    SAGINAW... where in Saginaw?!? I've been looking for some Mesquite, and here we have a local dump I didn't know about? Man!
    Jay Kilpatrick in Saginaw, Tx

A chainsaw, some sharpening lessons, a good supply of parrafin wax or similar, draft-free cabinet storage and you are the turning blank business.
    That is, if you want to be.

If you have the time and inclination, it could be a boost up for you.
    Cherry-pick the inventory for your own use, advertise the rest as is, where is.

The main thing would be to process everything as you get it and not let it sit in log form for very long - mass does bad things to wood when it dries in an uncontrolled fashion.
    Brian
    making perfectly good trees smaller, one at a time.

GR Wood

I am not exactly sure what details you are looking for. The address of the dump is 2001 Butterworth Ave SW. It's open every day (except Sunday), and you have to be a resident of GR City to use it. Wood can be removed year round, with a permit.

Hutch

Matt,
    Good for you!

I asked the same question at our local log dump. They will not allow you to remove any wood even if the species is easily identifiable. They have a general wood movement quarantine because of the Emerald Ash Borer issue our part of the country is experiencing now.

Please make sure you don't transport ash logs to another county or another part of the country! It's bad enough we have to deal with this problem. Let's take care not to make it any worse!

???

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Kilpatrick View Post
    SAGINAW... where in Saginaw?!? I've been looking for some Mesquite, and here we have a local dump I didn't know about? Man!
    It's 1248 miles from Saginaw to Saginaw. We're going to need Carl Sagan to explain this one.

Ash borer.

Yeah, the borer has had a huge effect here in Michigan. In my home town of St. Joseph, MI they cleared thousands of trees. Further south in the same county they did the same thing. It's really sad. I will be careful, although I wouldn't be surprised if they don't even dump ash there. They may just send it to a different place that chips logs.

Hutch
    Last edited by Matt Hutchinson; 02-27-2008 at 11:36 AM.