Thread: Steel City 1 3/4 HP cabinet saw

Steel City 1 3/4 HP cabinet saw

I went to the Woodworker's Show this past weekend and talked to a gentleman at the Steel City exhibit. A very nice man. I have been having some problems with my current saw and am considering up grading. I have searched the net and this forum but haven't run across any reviews on the 1 3/4 HP cabinet saw with a 30" fence. I was impressed with the apparent quality of the saw I saw and would consider purchasing one. Has anyone seen a review of this saw or could any people who purchased one tell me any plusses and minuses? Thanks for your input.

Blog Entries
    I have the Orion version (very close cousin, many parts identical). I went with the hybrid as I did not have 220v or expect to get it. Well of course I got 220 about a year after I got the saw. But, I am very happy with the saw and feel no need to upgrade even though I now have the power for a larger unit.

I believe there are some other SC hybrid owners here as well as more 22124 owners. Owners call the SC fence a 'better than Bies' as it has many of Beisemeyer's strengths plus some refinements. Same poly-v drive and trunnions as my saw. Height and bevel adjustment is very smooth, both adjustments have locks.

If you get one, run him on a dedicated circuit. He's happiest when he doesn't have to share with the lights or the kegerator.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Steel City owns Orion who makes what many call "hybrids" for SC and Craftsman, even though they have cabinet mounted trunnions and full enclosures like a cabinet saw. The Craftsman 22124 has been around about 4 years and has gained a good following... the SC version is newer to the market. As Glenn pointed out the two saws are very similar. SC also offers a 3hp version of the same saw, which uses some parts that are beefed up to accommodate the added weight and stress...SC claims that their 1-3/4hp version uses the same parts.

There was a recent review from Popular Woodworking that rated the SC hybrid as Editor's Choice. About 3 years ago Workbench Mag gave the 22124 top honors against the GI 50-220, Jet Supersaw, and DeWalt 746.

FWIW, the 22124 has been a good saw for me, and has cut whatever I've needed with relative ease. Alignment is very straightforward, the weight makes it very stable, it has a large worksurface, a great fence, good DC, and runs quietly and smoothly. The SC should be at least as good, plus has a 5 year warranty and likely a more knowledgeable retail staff .
    Last edited by scott spencer; 02-27-2008 at 6:37 AM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I've got the Steel City hybrid saw and I've been very happy with it. Very solidly built machine. The only time I've had an issue is when I was ripping some 2" thick hard maple and the saw bogged a bit (but I think it had more to do with a blade that was due for sharpening). I would highly recommend this saw.

Pluses:
    -very solidly built
    -perfectly aligned out of the box
    -powerful enough for heavy hobby use
    -Solid fence
    -Looks great

Minuses
    -for the price and HP, none

I have the 22124 and have been VERY pleased with it. For the 12/4 oak I had, I needed a nice sharp blade and did have to feed maybe a little slower than I would have liked, but I can't complain about it at all. Besides, I can always add a bigger motor down the road if I wanted to.

-Chris

I too have been looking at that saw (the 35670), along with the Jet Proshop, Delta 36717, a GI and a Grizzly. So far I am leaning towards the Steel City, but I am losing confidence in their customer service. I sent them a question Sunday night through the website, but have yet to hear back from them. Since it was Sunday, I only half expected an answer on Monday, and figured I would have one by Tuesday. Nuts. The question was a simple one too: do they offer a router lift with their saws. I also sent another yesterday, asking if they had plans to offer a riving knife with this model. I noticed that they are or will be producing a granite topped saw with this safety feature. Maybe I'm just being impatient. Now that I have finally decided to get a saw, I'm really excited.

BTW, this site is great. There is so much information and everyone is nice and helpful. I've been lurking here for the last couple weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Effinger View Post
    I too have been looking at that saw (the 35670), along with the Jet Proshop, Delta 36717, a GI and a Grizzly. So far I am leaning towards the Steel City, but I am losing confidence in their customer service. I sent them a question Sunday night through the website, but have yet to hear back from them. Since it was Sunday, I only half expected an answer on Monday, and figured I would have one by Tuesday. Nuts. The question was a simple one too: do they offer a router lift with their saws. I also sent another yesterday, asking if they had plans to offer a riving knife with this model. I noticed that they are or will be producing a granite topped saw with this safety feature. Maybe I'm just being impatient. Now that I have finally decided to get a saw, I'm really excited.

BTW, this site is great. There is so much information and everyone is nice and helpful. I've been lurking here for the last couple weeks.
    Brian - Sometimes companies respond via email only to get blocked by spam filters. I made an email inquiry to SC and they responded within a few minutes. Try calling them.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I've checked the spam folder in my account, but the only thing about wood that I have seen was how to make it bigger. If I haven't seen anything by tomorrow morning, I'll give them a call. Am I correct in assuming that a day or 2 turnaround time is what to expect with emailed questions? Or am I just impatient?

I was informed by the Canadian sales that the US division is having sales meetings this week and are finalizing the pricing on their new units that are to be released in the next month. These include riving knives and quick release guards as standard items. This may explain you wait for a reply. I called as these units are about to be released here as well and I am giving serious consideration to SC.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob DeWolfe View Post
    I was informed by the Canadian sales that the US division is having sales meetings this week and are finalizing the pricing on their new units that are to be released in the next month. These include riving knives and quick release guards as standard items. This may explain you wait for a reply. I called as these units are about to be released here as well and I am giving serious consideration to SC.
    I really hope that is the case. Even though I am anxious to get a saw, I'd wait a month or 2 to get one with a riving knife. I will definitely give them a call soon (maybe not tomorrow, but maybe Monday) and see what they have to say. If they say these upgrades won't be out until the end of the year, then oh well, I'll get something with out them. It would be nice to have though.

Thanks for the input from everyone. I also recently sent a note to CS as I am concerned about the length of the arbor threads. I have a Freud 8" dial a with dado and am wondering if it will fit on this saw. No answer as of now. Another thread mentioned some major issues with a new saw someone received but it seems the company bent over backwards to satisfy them. I'll pursue this further. Again, thanks for the responses