Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Safety question

I was in exactly the same dilema. (1) Buy a Grizzly 1023 now, or (2) wait until I had more money and buy the Sawstop, or (3) buy some other newer saw with riving blade, or (4) wait to see who makes some other new higher tech safer saw. or (5) keep struggling with my little Ryobi, with the out of alignment blade. I chose to buy the Grizzly 1023, get started, be careful, and buy a sawstop later, keeping the Grizzly as a outfeed table and dedicated dado saw. Couldn't be happier. The Grizzly is smooth, nickle, quarter, and penny will stand on end, but Damn It a dime won't. Maybe I ought to send it back. Actually still looking at the Grizzly 10 with riving knife, but can't get any feedback on it. Ray

Anyone know of any safety retrofits for older General tablesaws? I believe mine is a 350 model. Just bought a rare earth magnet featherboard from Lee Valley. That and a pusher stick is all my safety gear. The table saw (I think it is 5 HP 230V) I inherited when I bought my garage and it is a little intimidating when you throw the switch.

Sawstop total installed cost

I have a Sawstop, am happy with it and would recommend it. One thing I'd advise before you make the decision, though, is to be sure you know the total cost, including Sawstop's charge for shipment to the dealer, the dealer's charge to deliver and set the saw up in your shop, a good fence, a brake cartridge for dados, a mobile stand, a dust collector if you don't already have one, maybe a 220V cicruit, and of course, sales tax. Those items can add well over $1000 to the list price.

Hi Bob, I have a General 650.

Excalibur make a great overarm guard, and Merlin quick remove splitter, both of which will fit your saw.

I have both on my General, and put them on when the saw was brand new (I didn't even put the stock guard on, as I purchased the Excalibur and Merlin with the saw.

Regards, Rod.

I had one of those annoying guard holder / riving knife with pauls on my first table saw some 36 years ago.

I took that damn thing off and threw it away and never regretted it.

I recently got a fancy schmancy Austrian Slider and guess where the much vaunted riving knife is~? Yup, hanging on a nail. I'll put it on if I know I will have need of it such as when I'm ripping wood with wild grain or 2*4s.

The blade guard~? - - - - I don't know where that went.
    From my perspective things like that just get in the way and because they are in the way they are more likely to create a dangerous situation than they are to protect against one.

So I don't use 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi Bob, I have a General 650.

Excalibur make a great overarm guard, and Merlin quick remove splitter, both of which will fit your saw.

I have both on my General, and put them on when the saw was brand new (I didn't even put the stock guard on, as I purchased the Excalibur and Merlin with the saw.

Regards, Rod.
    Thanks Rod,l I'll have a look via google.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Wilson View Post
    Next question: How does one go about convincing the wife? :-)

Well I guess my digits are important to my line of work... so maybe thats my angle.

Thanks for the input
    I would assume that your "digits" are important to her as well.
    No matter where you go, there you are. B. Banzai