Thread: Whiteside Inlay Kit & Hitachi M12V

Whiteside Inlay Kit & Hitachi M12V

Does anybody know if the very highly recommended Whiteside inlay kit will work with Hitachi's Big Green Router? I know it's a bit large for inlay work, but it's what I currently have, and would like to get the inlay kit soon.

Thanks for any help you can give me!!

- Keith
    "Listen, here's the thing. If you can't spot the sucker in the first half hour at the table, then you ARE the sucker. "

The Whiteside kit uses a guide Porter Cable style guide bushing. If your router accepts this type of bushing, you should be good to go. Otherwise, I would replace your base plate with a Pat Warner plate machined for PC bushings.
    Age and Treachery will always beat youth and skill.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Starosta View Post
    Does anybody know if the very highly recommended Whiteside inlay kit will work with Hitachi's Big Green Router? I know it's a bit large for inlay work, but it's what I currently have, and would like to get the inlay kit soon.

Thanks for any help you can give me!!

- Keith
    Keith
    The Hitachi came with a insert holder that bolts to the two wings that are near the collet. If you have the holder just fasten it to the two wings and insert the inlay collar into the holder.
    However most of us have cut the two wings off so we have more room to tighten and loosen bits when the router is used in the table. Therefore for me to use guide bushings I must put a new base (like Pat Warners) that is drilled to hold bushings.
    If your router still has the wings and you don't have the holder, you can order it new from Hitachi.com
    Ed
    Ed

There is an adapter plate that allows you to use the P-C guide bushings on this router. Your router should have come with the adapter, if not send me a PM and I will make you deal (if I can find mine) as I only use my M12V in the router table. In use, I am not sure if you can center the bushing over the bit.

Thanks for the replies, guys!!

I haven't made any modifications to this router yet, as I haven't built my router table. I should still have the adapter with all of the other supplies. I'll check tonight.

Thomas, thanks for the offer! I will let you know tonight.

- Keith
    "Listen, here's the thing. If you can't spot the sucker in the first half hour at the table, then you ARE the sucker. "

Keith,

I just picked up one of the Whiteside inlay kits yesterday at Woodcraft, they have them on sale until the end of the month (Friday). $10.00 off, maybe not worth your time.
    I do it right, cause I do it twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Gooden View Post
    Keith,

I just picked up one of the Whiteside inlay kits yesterday at Woodcraft, they have them on sale until the end of the month (Friday). $10.00 off, maybe not worth your time.
    Yep...that's why I want to get this figured out quickly. Nothing like waiting until the last minute!!

- Keith