Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need advice about getting a car/truck

If you want reliable & cheap to operate, Japanese is the only way to go.

I'd go for a 2WD Toyota pickup, if I were you. You'll probably get the same fuel economy as you would on the Passat, but these things are ultra-reliable and dirt simple.

Another option is a hatchback. You'd be surprised what will fit in a Civic hatchback. These get 35 mpg and are more comfortable than trucks, and just as reliable.

I had an '85 Civic CRX that made 193,000 miles before rusting out too badly. (engine was still a peach) Wore out a ball joint at about 160k, no other mechanical problems.

Now, my '98 Civic CX hatchback has 164,000 on it, and is just starting to rust. No mechanical problems.

Our new '07 Matrix already has 13,000 on it, no problems yet.

good luck finding a decent little pickup for cheap. I looked for a long time before I got lucky and found my bare bones 94 2wd 5spd nissan. I totally gave up on finding a 4x4 it seemed like for less than 2-3 grand any 4x4 was in pretty rough shape. On the other hand if you don't mind a nice little 2wd a nissan, ranger or toyota is a pretty good bet. Toyotas seem to be hard to find people love those little toyota pickups so they are not cheap even the old 2wheelers.

Keep an eye on craigslist and hope for the best. I love my $1,000 little pickup.