Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jet Jointer/Planer Combo

Question Jet Jointer/Planer Combo

OK, I had originally discounted the Jet J/P combo unit as I was interested in the spiral head option. Well, I got an e-mail today from Byrd that they will have a spiral head available for the Jet in 2 weeks.

Using a couple of coupons I have (one from Byrd and one from Tools-Plus), I can now get the Jet J/P combo and a shelix head (which I'll have to install) for $2794 delivered!!! That's only $300 more than the Grizzly.

So, I know you guys have heard about both units - which one would you go for? They are very similar in most details.

Curt Harms - any update on your Jet? Comments?

BTW, I've given up on separate jointer and planer units. A 12" jointer is just too expensive and way too heavy for a single tool.

Be well,

Doc

Well, as I posted last week, I got a chance to put my hands on the Jet at Woodwerks in Columbus, OH. I was pretty impressed. The only odd thing was the finish on the tables, which it turns out is commonly used on higher end machinery. I've not seen the Grizzly, but there's nothing I saw on the Jet that would keep me from buying it after seeing it in person. I think the fact you don't need to remove the fence is a big plus over the Grizzly. I didn't hold a tape measure to it, but I thought the footprint was pretty compact.

That is great news about the spiral head. I preferred the Jet but also wanted a spiral head capability. For me, the distinguishing factor is the fact that you don't have to remove the fence to switch from jointer to planer.
    Age and Treachery will always beat youth and skill.

4. Popular Woodworking gave a pretty good review of the Grizzly. I've heard from someone pretty high up at one of the magazines that the Jet is a much lighter machine, especially the fence supports which are stamped steel. The Grizzly got better reviews as coming very close to the quality of a Euro machine. The Grizzly is 150lbs. heavier, and has 4" longer beds. The Grizzly is also 5hp, Jet 3hp. I think with those factors, the Jet with a Byrd head should be equal to or less than the Grizzly. Flipping up one table on the Jet vs. removing the fence and flipping two tables is for me the difficult caveat. Then again, if you have room for separate machines, why would you want a combo? I'm holding out and saving pennies for either separates of just what I want (12" jointer, 15" spiral planer) or if a combo unit, a Felder or comparable unit. If I was strictly a hobbyist, I'd probably go with the Grizzly.

Matt, if you recall, the Grizzly unit is 45x60 overall with an actual footprint of only 19 1/2 x 26.

For the Jet, the only measurement I could find is 32x55 overall. Don't know what the actual footprint is.

The 13 inch difference in depth is due to the post that Grizzly uses for the fence. This makes the Jet much more appealing, but the fence appears quite flimsy. I'd rather have a sturdy, reliable fence which takes up more room, than a compact cheesy one.

Some other differences between the two:

Jet = 3HP Grizzly = 5HP
    Jet = 529# Grizzly = 675#
    Jet = Euro/Bridge blade guard Grizzly = "Porkchop" blade guard

Hopefully Curt will post with some sizes and additional comments about his Jet.

Be well,

Doc

Jameel, I was seriously looking at separates, because frankly it's what I really would prefer (especially the planer with 55" tables). But the Grizzly 12" jointer is $2300 by itself and weighs over 1000 pounds and can not be put on a mobile base (per Grizzly CS). That really swayed me back to the combo units. And when I found out I could get the Byrd head for the Jet, I fell back into the Griz vs Jet dilemma.

One thing I didn't mention is name brand. The Jet would have an actual Byrd Shelix head. The Grizzly unit has their version of the shelix head. Not sure that it really makes a difference, I've heard great things about their Byrd knock-off.

Be well,

Doc

So how much is just the shelix head for the Jet?

By footprint I meant the overall dimensions--I realize that's probably not the correct term. The measurements you quoted sound about right.

I thought the fence looked cheesy too in pictures. Its true that the brackets are stamped steel--but don't think like the fender of your car--think heavy. I could grab on the the fence and push/pull hard to deflect it--but could do about the same with the good 8" jointer fences too.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Hansen View Post
    So how much is just the shelix head for the Jet?
    $1095

The first batch will come off the line in two weeks.

Be well,

Doc

Don,

I have been looking at both of these machines as well as I would like the extra jointing capacity. currently I have a 8" jointer and a lunch box planer. I like the smaller width of the JET for my limited space and the easy change over. It's good to hear that a Byrd head will be available, but not exicited about having to install it myself.

A positive for the Jet I think: Most work at the jointer is done with the fence set at 90 degrees. In fact I would guess that most of us rarely, if ever, change that setting. I do move my fence in board and out board to use different sections of the knives. I'm not concerned if the fence is a "bit" skewed after I move it. So maybe the design of the Jet fence won't be an issue. Would be nice to hear from someone that has used one!

Regards,

John

John, without instructions I changed out the head on my Jet 6" Jointer with the Byrd head in about an hour.

I did, however, send an e-mail to Jet to see if they are planning on a version with the helical head since they now sell all of the jointers and planers with them. Hopefully they'll realize this is an important upgrade they should have. I'll post when I get something back from them.

Be well,

Doc

BTW: You're spot on about the fence - I've NEVER moved mine off 90, but I do move it laterally to use different parts of the blades.

3 HP is good enough

For those of us that want one for the garage, I think I would prefer one with 3 hp (JET) because I do not want to change any existing wiring. I have already 230 V 20 amp service. I could put in a larger service but it would be surface mount. My 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Sostrin View Post
    For those of us that want one for the garage, I think I would prefer one with 3 hp (JET) because I do not want to change any existing wiring. I have already 230 V 20 amp service. I could put in a larger service but it would be surface mount. My 2 cents.
    I don't care about changing the wiring, but when I start my 3hp TS with the DC on the house lights dim if anything else (dryer, oven...) is on. I wouldn't want to try a 5hp motor.
    I have a 200a service; anyone with more than that probably isn't looking at a combination machine. Or so it seems to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Abele View Post
    $1095

The first batch will come off the line in two weeks.
    Just for the head? Ouch!

I've always liked the thought of a combo machine for this toolset, but I already have a lunch box planar. Moving up to a machine like this only benefits on the jointer.

If I was getting the combo, I'd start without the byrd head and see how things turned out. Then switch in the head if I felt it was warranted. I understand that the helix head is great but the cost is prohibitive and if I wasn't working with birdseye maple or other highly figured wood, I'd probably skip it.
    May all your turnings be smooth,

Brodie Brickey

Customer service has to be factored in as well.

The problem with the Grizzly fence is that the back side of it has a guard that remains in place, so storage space is wasted. I asked an owner of it, and the answer was that it looked like you would need 33" for the unit.

From this thread that has pics of the Grizzly showing the backside:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=67644
    Last edited by Eddie Darby; 02-28-2008 at 6:41 AM.