Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hand Plane User in the Buffalo Area

Hand Plane User in the Buffalo Area

Is there a person in the Buffalo, NY area that knows how to use and adjust hand planes, maybe has some nice ones that I could try and is willing to teach me some weekend?

I have fettled with hand planes to no avail some time and I am about ready to learn the right way before I give up entirely.
    Matthew Poeller

Not quite Buffalo...

Flick me a PM if you're ever in Canberra, Australia

Matthew -

I remember you posting some time ago... http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=735925

I am about ready to learn the right way before I give up entirely.
    Sadly, this is the decision I made some years ago, and the regret of those lost years is still with me. I encourage you to keep trying... I am the least skilled of those who frequent this board, but am willing to help in any way I can. Let's say - I've been there...

David Charlesworth videos were priceless to me - as was this board, and the many books I've purchased. I don't know what you might be struggling with, but I'm sure there is a way to get through it. Feel free to post on each step that you are unsure of.

Simply stated the miracle of technology has proved to be a boon to this apprentice, and you should take advantage of the same. To that end, there are several routes available to us -

1) Post a list (or pictures) of planes you've got.
    2) We'll pick one and you can ship it to me.
    3) I'll video the process of cleaning, tuning, and sharpening it.
    4) I'll video how to use it.
    5) I'll ship the plane, DVD, and wispy shavings back to you.

I don't know if I have any klunkers right now, but I can do just the video portion on one of my planes. Or I can buy one off ebay, perform the steps above - and ship it to you (at the ebay cost).

It would be tragic for one with a desire to learn - "gives up entirely." Again, you won't learn much from one of my skill level, but I might be able to help you over the "hill before the slippery slope..." The slope is easy - once you find it!

Let me know,

- Dykes
    Last edited by John Dykes; 02-28-2008 at 11:19 AM.

videos

Have you checked out the Mario Rodriguez video as well? I like David's videos very very much. But I also thought that Mario's videos were good too.

Dan
    Sharpening skills, the plane truth.

I have not, but thank you for the suggestion... To be honest, I've found DVDs to be my primary source of instruction (with books supplementing)- Tom Law, Frank Klaus, Chris Schwartz, Charlesworth... I've got the Kingshott 4 DVD set on the way too. Mario's are now added to the list...

Thanks again,
    -jbd

Hey Matthew, don't give up so easy. It really is not as hard as it seems to tune and use planes. What kind of planes do you have? Do you have any books about hand planes? Garrett Hack's book is excellent. I would be happy to help you out but I am all the way out in mass. John has some great ideas take him up on them.

-eric

Thanks to all the well wishes

But I give up.....JUST KIDDING. This is something that I really want to learn. Especially since my wife is going to start working 3rd shift again shortly and hand tools are quieter than power tools and my shop is in the basement.

So anyway, it took me so long to post back because I was on a mission when I got home from work today.

I was not about to take John up on your EXTREMELY generous offer (the reason this sight is so amazing is people like you) without doing my due diligence. That last thing I wanted to do was send you a plane on to have you say that the fix was SO simple and I am an idiot.

So I got home, re-flattened the sole, frog, cleaned up the chip breaker again and sharpened the blade again.

Then I reset the frog, and reset the break on the iron.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Matthew Poeller

Then I......

Made sure that the cap lever was not too tight and put the plane back together complete.

Then I started in.....

Now I have much better results today than I did last night. I cannot see any gouges in the boards, the boards are nice and flat (this was a glue-up that kinda went bad) and everything seems to be allright.

Now I am still not 100% that I am doing this right but I am hoping that from the pics you might be able to spot something that I am doing wrong.

The major changes made from last night (could any of these really made a huge difference?):

The cap lever is much looser now. I did not tight it up very much at all, just enough to hold it all together. (Does this really make a huge difference? It seemed to make the blade much easier to adjust)
    I sharpened the blade again, but I contend that it was basically just as sharp before.
    Flattening the sole again, I think this might of been some of the problem since it did need some work. I ended up starting at 180, going down to 120 and then back up again.

Things I am still not sure about:

My slices are paper thin but I cannot seem to get a slice the whole length of the board, is this normal?
    I am not using the whole blade as you can tell from the width of the slice in my fingers. When I adjusting I was hitting the left side, then the right and then in the middle but still not utilizing the whole blade.
    I am worried that I am missing somthing that is intuitive to someone that uses these all the time but I might have inadvertently screwed up when I took it apart the first time (like make the cap lever too tight).
    In addition to that I was wondering about the depth adjustment wheel. Mine seems to have a lot of slop in it. Is this normal?

I will post some more pics of the rest of the planes in my arsenal (not worked on at all) a little later.

JOHN, I think that I may take you up on your offer but after seeing this what do you think would be best? For me to ship you this plane or for me to take some pictures of my others for you to pick one? Or have I finally caught on a little bit and not I just need to get videos.

I have the hand plane book by garret but I seem to be missing something and find the video that I have seen on the web from places like Hock and such to be much more informative.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Matthew Poeller

Mathew you never told us how long you have been working with hand planes. They do have a learning curve. It took me almost a year before I figured everything out, and I am still earning new things every day. The problem with me is I am a very visual earner, so books and written instructions do little for me. Pictures and video are better, the best is if I can see someone do something. There are very few people in my neck of the woods who are inflicted with the neander bug, which delayed my learning curve even further. My other problem is I never take anyones opinion on face value, I challenge every established notion (width of the mouth, utility of the chip breaker, flatness of the sole etc.)
    If I figure things out on my own I never forget them and I truly develop a deeper understanding.

Were we talking about you at some point

What I am trying to say is stick with what ever learning method works for you. The most important aspect of handtools I can tell you is that you must enjoy the process not the result. If you enjoy using a handplane (or a saw or chisel), irrespective of the quality of the shavings or the surface, you will continue to learn and stay engaged. If you become results oriented there is a possibility you might get frustrated and give up. There is enough wisdom out there to teach you how handplanes work, and you will eventually findout all there is to know. So I will not offer any technical advice, just that you have to enjoy the ride.

Check you local library for woodworking books. David Fink's book "making and mastering wood planes" has a very nice section on tuning a block plane. The principles apply to all hand planes. Garrett Hack's book is considered The book for handplanes.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

I'm glad you posted those pictures and your efforts thus far - and in the detail that you did...

Firstly, that looks to be a 60's vintage Stanley Handyman (my assumption). My father just recently sent me one that he bought at Ft. Campbell, KY. Besides my father's plane, I have very limited familiarity with the Handyman (or that era of planes).

Forgive me for being blunt, but I think it's important - (I don't want to berate your purchase or tool) - it's commonly stated that this type of plane is of very (very) low quality. The difference between my father's #4 Handyman and a pre-WW2 #4 is considerable (in my single experience). Others here might be able to give you a more qualified and educated answer about this. I haven't even tried to work on my father's plane - and don't expect to. The frog seems like it's made out of tin foil compared to my others!

Point being, is your Handyman worth restoring and trying to make work? I honestly, do not know. Again, others will have to help here... I've seen the discussion go both ways. I have not restored a Handyman - I don't know the effort involved.

I can tell you this - your effort that you put into this already, would have already yielded great results on a earlier vintage plane. It would be interesting to see if you have any other ones to work on?? Take pictures of them all perhaps?

How flat is the sole? Use a marker on the bottom, and run it across the sandpaper (or whatever). Do the marker lines wear away evenly?

Flattened the frog. Looks ok to me I guess - (again, not a plane I've used). What about the frog mating surfaces (where it meets the body)?

Chipbreaker and blade matching up is probably alright for now. Front of blade looks fine; is the back of the blade flat and polished?

The lever cap should be - eh, fingertight to clamp up and down. Loose doesn't sound good to me... You don't want the blade sliding around in there.

To be blunt again, those shavings don't look too good to me. Make sure the opening of the mouth is, eh, 1/16th or so, don't project the blade too far...

It's late tonight, but I think Comcast gives me some webspace - I'll try to get a video up on it tomorrow. Things to look at, how to set up for a shaving, taking a nice shaving. Never tried making a video web page, but I should be able to get something together - even if it's pictures.

Really interested to see other planes you might have. The Handyman might be a tougher battle than some old rusty one you might have...

You will take a nice shaving....

- jbd von Denver

* Edit - in reviewing if I answered any of your questions...
    - I'd keep the lever cap tight. Again, you don't want the blade sloshing around.
    - My planes have "slop" in the blade adjustment.
    - No, I honestly don't think you're doing anything fundamentally wrong... Point being, I don't know if I could get that plane working either. I'll work on my Dad's #4 this weekend and see. It doesn't have the original blade though....
    - Are you sure the blade is sharp? Not "cut you sharp," but "shave" sharp. Not "scratch a few arm hairs off" sharp, but hairs glide off sharp.
    - Next step - see if you have an old Stanley... if not, we can keep trying on this one (or perhaps what other folks might think is best). Or we can work through an ebay purchase. Or, hell for that matter, I can loan you one.

Yes, I take this personal. I gave up once...

You will take a damn shaving.
    Last edited by John Dykes; 02-29-2008 at 12:18 AM.

Nahid et al, thank you very much. I am surely not going to give up. I know that I will be able to get this sooner or later. I do not give up so easily, I just say that I will out of frustration.

John,
    I was wondering about the 'ol Stanley. It looked, at first glance to be in the best shape but I think that you are right. This one might not be worth it. I noticed some things last night that I thought were odd. The sole where the frog meets is painted. The entire frog was painted before I started to flatten. The bottom of the frog where it meets the sole is painted and I cannot do any real work on that.

I will tonight take some pics of the other planes that I have (definitely all in disrepair) and we will go from there.

Definitely do not think that you are being harsh. I personally think that blunt truth is the best way to get anything done. Who needs yes men anyway?

To answer a few of your questions though.
    The lever cap was not loose enough for the blade to move when planing but I loosened it to the point that it did not take a lot of force to lock it down.
    I will check the blade on my arm tonight. I sharpen with japanese waterstones to 8000. I flatten the back using Mr. Hock's method of setting in on a rulers and running it against the sandpaper.

I will say this. I was not completely satisfied with the plane operation but the results were nice. The boards are a glue up that was a little off. After the work with the plane they flat enough that I cannot see any glue lines. Something that would have taken good bit of time with sandpaper. With that being said, I am all in if it just gets better!!

Stay tuned tonight. I have a little bit of work to do on my house so that I can stay on schedule (read, keep the wife happy) but then I will be back to the planes.
    Matthew Poeller

Just a few hours away in Cleveland.
    "When we build, let us think that we build forever." - Ruskin

Check here http://www.woodcraft.com/EducationCl...px?StoreID=531 every so often. Or give them a call. It's only Rochester, not very far.

( University of Buffalo class of 88 8-) )
    "He who saves one life, saves the world entire"

Steve,

Thank you for the offer. I might take you up on that one of these days but right now I can barely find time to visit my folks on the weekends. I will surely keep that in mind though.

Jeremy,

One of my buddies mentioned that to. I looked but did not see any classes for planes. Do they offer them sometimes?

UB Class of '02 for Engineering
    UB Class of '06 for MBA

Matt

P.S. I am still going to keep this thread going with John since it may turn out to be something very informative. Maybe we will have the change the name to Tutoring the Uncorrigable in Hand Planes.
    Matthew Poeller

Matt I understand your frustration as I am going through something similar with my first bench plane (1930s Bailey#4). Strangely my borg block plane seems to do a better job. Sharpened both the same way, and the sole of the bench plane seems to be level (checked with a square).

Mario Rodriguez is teaching a hand tools class this summer at the Woodcraft in Manchester CT, I think I might sign up.