Thread: retractable electrical outlets?

retractable electrical outlets?

I am running some new circuits into the garage/shop this weekend. I would like some of the outlets to be overhead (mix of 110 / 220 circuits). I remember from high school shop class, we had a double-gang box that dangled from the end of a retractable cord. I can't seem to find a source for these locally. Do you know anywhere to buy both 110 V and 220 V retractable electrical outlets?

I'd buy some retractable cord reels. You may have to go to an industrial supply place to get 240v cord reels. That, or buy a 120v and get 240v plugs/connector bodies with strain relief and reterminate the cable.

thanks Rob. If I buy a 110 V retractable cord reel, and re-terminate, I will have only two conductors. My jointer has a NEMA L6-20 plug on it (3 prong - assuming 2 hots and ground), but the cord says 14/3 . Do I need a 3rd conductor thru the cord reel, or do I not need a dedicated neutral leg?

I have some 110V reels from Sears. They are 14ga so you should not run high amperage tools from them. It is good practice to unroll them completely when you are putting a decent load on them to avoid heat buildup. One member here nearly had a fire from a regular extension cord wound inside a storage device.
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 02-28-2008 at 4:08 PM. Reason: added "not" to change the whole meaning of a sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Davis View Post
    thanks Rob. If I buy a 110 V retractable cord reel, and re-terminate, I will have only two conductors. My jointer has a NEMA L6-20 plug on it (3 prong - assuming 2 hots and ground), but the cord says 14/3 . Do I need a 3rd conductor thru the cord reel, or do I not need a dedicated neutral leg?
    If the plug is 220 and truly has only 3 prongs, you do not need a dedicated neutral leg. If it was 4 pronged, you would.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wong (and cite verse from the NEC,) but I think 14/3 cord has 3 conductors, probably black, white, and green. 14/3 Romex (if there is such a thing) would have 4 conductors--probably black, white, red, and a bare ground.

Matt,

There is 14/3 and even 14/4 (nuetral with red marking...useful for GFCI)
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    I have some 110V reels from Sears. They are 14ga so you should run high amperage tools from them. It is good practice to unroll them completely when you are putting a decent load on them to avoid heat buildup. One member here nearly had a fire from a regular extension cord wound inside a storage device.
    Matt,

I assume you mean "should NOT run high amperage tools" ...

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wong (and cite verse from the NEC,) but I think 14/3 cord has 3 conductors, probably black, white, and green. 14/3 Romex (if there is such a thing) would have 4 conductors--probably black, white, red, and a bare ground.
    Matt,

You're correct.

In SJ or SJO cord, the equipment grounding conductor is counted. 14/3 means there are a total of 3 conductors and Matt has the colors correct - black/white/green. That would be the equivalent to 14/2 NM (aka "Romex"), where the bare equipment grounding conductor is not counted.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Russell View Post
    Matt,

I assume you mean "should NOT run high amperage tools" ...

Rob
    Correct. I fixed my original post.

Blog Entries
    I run two 12/3 cord reels for 110v. Saved me a lot of wiring. One over the bench and one over in a multi purpose area where mobile tools roll in and out.

I would not feel comfortable running a 2HP or 3HP device on a reel. It is not just the cord you must consider, there are the contacts at the hub that allow the cord to play out and back. If these are a weak link, you'll find it.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler