Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baby Furniture (Lots of Pics)

Baby Furniture (Lots of Pics)

Hello all,

It's been a while since I posted- I've got a new son! All the fathers (and mothers) out there know what the first couple months are like...

Anyway, I finished these pieces back in November, about a month before my son was born, but haven't had the chance to post until now. So without further ado...

I built a crib, changing table, two (matching) bookcases, and a toybox/bench for the nursery. The crib and changing table are solid cherry, the bench/box is a cherry-veneer ply box with solid cherry ends, base, and trim, and the bookcases are cherry-veneer ply with iron-on cherry edgebanding and solid cherry base and trim.

The crib is a reprise of my previous design efforts for our bed; my wife loved the tiger-maple sunburst design. The crib benefits from drastically improved veneer technique (zero blisters to fix on this piece), and I'm very pleased with the result.

All pieces are finished with 100% tung oil (from Woodcraft), which I chose for the baby's room because it is non-toxic and does not off-gas volatile chemicals over time. Plus, it just plain looks great on cherry. Number of coats varies by piece and location- the changing table top has about seven coats, buffed to semi-gloss; most parts have four coats, simply rubbed with steel wool to a matte finish.

Crib is constructed using floating tennon joinery throughout, and veneers were applied one piece at a time using hide glue and elbow grease. The front side is attached using the “stealth kit” hardware from productsamerica.com. It provides 6” of vertical travel, glides smoothly, was (even for a lawyer!) easy to install, and is invisible; I’m very pleased with the hardware. The (hidden) brace and back side are attached to the head and foot boards using hex-key bolts and barrel nuts from Rockler, so the whole thing can be taken apart for storage/transportation if needed.

Bookcases, changing table, and bench/box were constructed using the Kreg K3 Master system (screws capped with cherry plugs sanded flat), which I purchased specifically for this project to help make sure I finished before baby was born!

Pics:

10 20 07 008 [640x480].JPG
    10 20 07 009 [640x480].JPG

Crib sides dry fit (homebuilt router-mortising jig visible on bench)

IMG_3026 [640x480].JPG
    IMG_3028 [640x480].JPG

Finish sanding after glue-up (assembled but unfinished bookcase visible in foreground) (unidentified galootish looking character in his natural habitat, rarely captured on film ;-) )

IMG_3004 [640x480].JPG
    Ends with trim in glue-up
    Last edited by Jeremy Chisholm; 02-28-2008 at 7:16 PM.

More pics

IMG_3005 [640x480].JPG

Better shot of (1) of (2) bookcases, assembled but unfinished

IMG_2998 [640x480].JPG
    IMG_2999 [640x480].JPG

Changing table, in finishing process

IMG_3048 [640x480].JPG
    IMG_3058 [640x480].JPG

Late afternoon sun on the finished crib

Very well done and a BIGGER congratulations! I've a couple myself and the first 2 months are spent sleepless and confused, lol.

Congratulations on the additions to the house and family

mike

More pics

IMG_3283 [640x480].JPG

Bench/Toybox (cushion courtesy of grandma)

The lid swings on a 48” piano hinge, and was carefully balanced with 2 "Heavy" spring-loaded safety supports using the load data from the good folks at Woodcraft in Canton, MI. The lid will hold its position at any angle, from 1/8" open to 90 degrees, and can be lifted or closed with a finger. Safety first!

IMG_3284 [640x480].JPG

More safety- "just in case" air holes

IMG_3161 [640x480].JPG
    IMG_3291B [640x480].jpg
    IMG_3282 [640x480].JPG

The finished room

Thanks for looking!

Great ensemble!
    Course now you will have to make a "grown up bed" for when he gets a bit older (grin) And that is sooner than you think!

Be proud!
    Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Spanbauer View Post
    Very well done and a BIGGER congratulations! I've a couple myself and the first 2 months are spent sleepless and confused, lol.
    I'm on my 3rd year of those first 2 months. I'm must not being doing it right...
    Fast, Neat, Average
    Friendly, Good, Good

lol Randy. I'm not sure the confused ever leaves, but they should be sleeping a bit better now I'd hope. Although some don't have that luck.

mike

Congratulations on your new baby! Those were a lot of projects to undertake for sure, with beautiful results.

Thanks guys. I probably should have included a profile pic of the completed crib. Here it is:

IMG_3287 [640x480].JPG

Not doing it right?

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Klein View Post
    I'm on my 3rd year of those first 2 months. I'm must not being doing it right...
    Hmmm... I'm on my, well I don't know, year of sleepless and confused with a 7, 3, and 1+ year old. I don't think that doing it right was the problem... maybe too often!
    Jay Kilpatrick in Saginaw, Tx

Great stuff , the changing table is to nice to use for it intended purpose , get a changing pad and change the baby on the floor ( no child has ever fallen off the floor ), send the table to me.

My 3 kids have overtime tested my ability to install toggle bolts, wall anchors and molly bolts. Yours will aslo all to soon , but for now congrats on the new addition and accept the lack of sleep...8-) 8-).
    Last edited by jeremy levine; 02-28-2008 at 4:49 PM.
    "He who saves one life, saves the world entire"

IMG_3159 [640x480].JPG

one more of the whole room

Beautiful job Jeremy and congrats to you and your LOYL on your new son! I think he’s a lucky kid!!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Great Job and congrats on the new addition to your family. My son was born in November and i just barely finish the crib and changing table before he was born. Even after the first 3 months I still feel a bit dazed and confused.
    good luck,
    Greg

Congratulations and great work! I've got my first on the way this fall and have similar projects to complete. Thanks for the pics and motivations!
    Ryan