Thread: Baby furniture question

Baby furniture question

When making baby furniture (cribs, changing tables, etc.) what kind of finishes are recommended? Is there any finishes that one should stay away from? My main concern is the health of the child. Things I make are usually finished with either shellac, polyurethane, wax or laquer. Are these any different than I would find in store bought furniture? Thanks for the help.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Miller
    When making baby furniture (cribs, changing tables, etc.) what kind of finishes are recommended? Is there any finishes that one should stay away from? My main concern is the health of the child. Things I make are usually finished with either shellac, polyurethane, wax or laquer. Are these any different than I would find in store bought furniture? Thanks for the help.
    Ken
    Ken, I don't know that any finishing product available to the consumer contains lead any more. That said, any of your clear finishes, which are *fully cured* are safe.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    That said, any of your clear finishes, which are *fully cured* are safe.
    Correct. Choose the finish that you feel most comfortable applying, although I'd recommend a film finish so you can wipe it down easily.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...