Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stanley 45 cost $ ?

Blog Entries

Question Stanley 45 cost $ ?

What would be a reasonable price to pay for a Stanley 45 ?
    How many cutters would constitute a complete or near complete set?
    Thanks
    Dennis

Sorry I can't help, gotta leave this one to the experts. But I'm interested in the answer to the complete set of cutters.

I am no expert.

As far as price, it will vary greatly depending on condition, completenes and era. The best thing would be to use ebay as a guide (search for "completed listings").

As far as cutters:

For just ploughing they were offered from 1/8" to 1/2" (in 1/16ths) plus 5/8", 3/4" and 13/16" thru time.

Beading similarly but only up to 3/4" I think.

So around 20 just in those. Then there were some more specialty ones (reeding, tounging, etc.) If you visit B&G site, you should find exact cutters once offered.

I would figure out what you need and then buy accordingly. I have a Record 50 and I almost always use 2 or 3 cutters, but that is just me.

/p

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the idea to look on Ebay for completed transactions. I looked & there is a wide range depending on condition, # of cutters, condition, etc. Range was about $50-$200. That gives me at least an idea of what to expect when I look for one.
    Thanks again
    Dennis

First one I bought (early type with no fine adjustment on the fence) with complete set of cutters, was missing slitter blade also before cam was standard equipment, cost me $85.00, from antique dealer at flea market. Overall condition was good, only issue was knicker retaining screw was cross threaded. Second one I bought was a Montgomery Ward labeled 45, with one cutter, but in excellent to fine shape. Cost $20.00. My third 45 came from a Donnelly auction. Was a later vintage in excellent to fine condition with standard set of blades, complete with cam and slitter. Came in a craftsman made box, with a bonus of a Stanley 71 complete. Cost me $115.00 for both.

These were all bought in order mentioned with the first purchased in 2002, the second in 2003 and the final in 2007.

I would watch the upcoming Donnelly auctions this season as well as the quarterly Fine Tool Journal auctions. For a complete user with standard issued cutters, in user condition, probably less than $100.00. Condition and age drives the price.

I like the gizmocitiy of the things and mainly use a 45 as a plough plane.

T.Z.

Dennis, sounds like you've got the price range for a normal one pretty well bracketed. Parts are easy to find if you don't buy a complete one up front, which could save some $. Collectors are looking for things like specific rare types, aluminum, special cutters, and hollow and round bottoms. All these add to the price dramatically.

I have around $350 tied up in my user. I would say a complete 45 can be had for around $75-$150 depending on condition and how complete it is.
    Here is my little project.

I have 5 or 6 of them I use. all differenc types, from type 2 to type 13, $20 to $45 for most of them. got a complete one in original wooden box last time, for $50
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Quote Originally Posted by harry strasil View Post
    I have 5 or 6 of them I use. all differenc types, from type 2 to type 13, $20 to $45 for most of them. got a complete one in original wooden box last time, for $50

I'd be happy to take that real expensive one off your hands.

“I don’t have a lot of tools because it doesn’t take many to make furniture.” - Rob Millard

I have bought two at estate auctions. Both had the box with the sliding top and the basic set of cutters. I had to give $100 for one and $200 for another. I have never seen one go for less than $100 locally.

Bill

I sold one on Ebay in November for $89. It was in average condition with 19 cutters.

The box that came with mine - contains 20 cutters - all shown on label "cutters for stanley plane, No. 45". But the enclosed cutters are number 1, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 18 1/2, 19, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27. The label goes on to say " The No. 8 Cutters are in the plane--a total of twenty three (23) Cutters". So there are other numbers not included in the original box. So what is 2, 3, 4, 7, presumably different sizes. Ray Knight

old catalog

Sorry for the double post. I just put my box of cutters back in the box and decided to look at the small 1914 stanley tool catalog that was in the box. By looking at the picture of the 45 and counting there are about 41 cutters shown. The catalog lists the 45 as being supplied with twenty-one cutters. Among the optional are several are hollow and rounds, that would require special bottoms for the sliding section, those bottoms are also listed in the catalog.
    Now on the opposite page is the listing for the Stanley 55, it has almost 100 cutters shown. The 55 is shown as being supplied with 52 cutters.

I assume 45 and 55 cutters would not interchange. Is that true?? Ray

Blog Entries

Price depends on many things

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Knight View Post
    Sorry for the double post. I just put my box of cutters back in the box and decided to look at the small 1914 stanley tool catalog that was in the box. By looking at the picture of the 45 and counting there are about 41 cutters shown. The catalog lists the 45 as being supplied with twenty-one cutters. Among the optional are several are hollow and rounds, that would require special bottoms for the sliding section, those bottoms are also listed in the catalog.
    Now on the opposite page is the listing for the Stanley 55, it has almost 100 cutters shown. The 55 is shown as being supplied with 52 cutters.

I assume 45 and 55 cutters would not interchange. Is that true?? Ray
    I like the set Clint has. I do not have any of the hollow or round special bases.

I did get lucky on a set on eBay. It was actually sold as two planes. The pictures were not good, but when they were carefully analyzed, it was clear the blades were not the normal set. It was a blend of the two planes, one a Montgomery Wards 45, and a complete set of the special cutters.

Some of the 55 cutters can be used on a 45. Some of the standard cutters for the 55 are in the special cutters for a 45.

Many of the cutters for the 55 require the moveable skate to be set at a different height than the main body skate.

Stanley 45's are fairly plentiful and should not set you back too bad for a good user.

Any thing after a type 11 should be OK. Type 11 is the one with the micro adjustment on the fence. The early type 11 have the locking screw above the adjustment screw and is not as good as the later model with the screw locking on one of the fence slides. This screw is missing almost as much as the slitter.

I am not sure of the actual order of missing parts. Usually missing are the slitter, the fence micro adjustment locking screw, the screw driver, the cam rest and the 1/8" blade.

On some of the ones I have bought the fence was not parallel to the main stock. This can cause problems and should be checked.

Through the years different numbers of blades were supplied as standard.

The type 11 and later came with 23 blades if my memory serves.

I have a half a dozen from a type 4 that I use mostly for slitting to a type 16 or so and one Wards model.

They are a fun plane to use and good learning device to get one up to the 55.

I think it is working with these "open frame" planes that gave me some insight into setting up and using a regular plane. They can be a real PITA if one tries to hurry it up. Making sure the blades are sharp and square is also important, these do not have a lateral adjustment.

One fun thing to do is cut a bead with one of these, then with a gouge of about the same size, the bead can be cut into dots and balloons.

If possible, I will try and come up with a picture of this.

jim

Blog Entries

Fun with Beads

Here is a picture of a bead that has been carved with a gouge to make dots and dashes. I am sure some of you will know what these dots and dashes represent.

For the rest of you, they are my initials.

Of course other decorative uses are possible. This just happens to be on one side of a tool tote.

jtk
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 03-03-2008 at 3:50 AM. Reason: wrong word