Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So - what kind of knife is in the typical WW'ers pocket?

So - what kind of knife is in the typical WW'ers pocket?

Hello,
    I was sitting here running a couple of my kinves on the Spyerdo Sharpmaker just touching up the edges, and wondered what anyone else carries?

Generally, I carry an old(er) Benchmade Leopard Cub.
    Lately though, I've been slipping an old Schrade Old Timer - carbon steel blades, in my pocket.

It's kinda - well,not really funny, but,,
    I've had a small fortune tied up in knives over the years - and it seems like the little old Schrade is the one I usually end up going back to.
    Nothing seems to take an edge like carbon steel.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Leatherman. Once in awhile I will forget it at home and I feel naked. Don't know how I would get by with out it. Before the leatherman it was old timers.
    Stacey

Richard,
    When I was working I carried a Swiss Army knife because of the different tools on it. I have a small collection but no serious quality high end knives. I have two Gerber pocket knives, a couple Kabars and several hunting knives of different sizes.
    I stopped carrying knives when airports started taking them away from passengers.
    I have always had a thing about knives and have to stop myself from buying them when I see a unique knife.
    I buy different types old kitchen knives from garage sales and shape the blades for different utility uses. When I was a kid I made knives out of files and old vehicle springs that I found around the farm. I used an old hand crank stone for most of the shaping.
    David B

I used to keep one of the keychain swiss army knives with my keys. But after giving the 3rd or 4th to the TSA I gave up.

Not always in my pocket, but I've got 4-5 of these scattered around the house and shop...something about the design appeals to the engineer in me.

And a couple of Leatherman widgets in the big toolbox and the car, but they're too bulky for pockets IMHO.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Blog Entries
    Here's the 2005 discussion thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...54528#poststop

Use the Google search engine. It will generally find these things. After three years I think we can discuss it again, eh? I carry my Uncle's passed down Buck jack knife.

Pocket Knives.jpg

The little lock blade stays in my laptop bag as I don't carry a pocketknife at work ;-)
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 03-02-2008 at 3:38 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Typically I carry a Gerber lockback but I've been carrying a mini-Leatherman given to me by my current manager for Christmas last year. He's now deployed in Kuwait and I"ll continue carrying it until he's safely back to work at home. I've actually mailed it to myself when I found it in my pocket at an airport in Bloomington IL. I discovered it after I'd checked my baggage. I approached a TSA agent and they showed me where the pre-paid envelopes were located for such use. I about fainted when I found out the airport was paying the postage.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Swiss Army Knife, it's got a toothpick & tweezers!
    We are here on Earth to do good to others. What the others are here for, I don't know.

W. H. Auden

Ken,
    Since I discovered Gerber knives with a locking blade I am not comfortable with a knife that doesn't have a locking blade, except for my Swiss Army Knife.
    David B

I'm carrying a Smith & Wesson branded knife that my in-laws gave me for Christmas...I think it's officially called "Extreme Ops". Not a bad little knife, except that I'm having a devil of a time figuring out how to sharpen the hawkbill blade.
    Honestly though, a classic Buck is really more my style.

Old Timer--small and sharp
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Schrade Old Timer with a broken tip on the blade

At one time I thought it was a pick for digging stuff out of wood

I alternate between 2, depending on which one has slipped out of my pocket and gotten lost in the couch at the moment. One is a Swiss Army knife with corkscrew, screwdriver, awl, and a couple of other gadgets. The other is a small Gerber locking knife.
    Use the fence Luke

I've never felt the need to carry any kind of knife or other tool on my person...so I don't. I do have a handy-dandy Leatherman-like thingie in the car from Duluth Trading (a freebe) that even has an LED flashlight on it...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Victorinox Swiss Army; Super Tinker, on my shop/work keys.

The scissors is a nail trimmer and the tweezer is for slivers.

Rarely leave home without one, try to remember to put in the checked luggage when traveling, but have donated a couple to the TSA since 2001.

-kg