Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So - what kind of knife is in the typical WW'ers pocket?

Wink

Hi Rich,

I carry an Ole' Henry .. I have carried this knife for about 30 yrs now My daughter gave it to for Christmas, she gave one of my sons one also and he just left it laying around so I put it away to use when I wear this one out. It's a 3 blade, bone handle. I NEVER go ANYWHERE with out my knife. We will be doing something and one of my sons will ask to use my knife .. I say to them "where's YOUR knife", their usual answer is " on my dresser". I say "what kind of knife is it"? they say "pocket knife", I say "that's right a POCKETknife"! Oh well .....

A three blade Schrade Old Timer folding knife has been a 35 yr old standby. Still shaves after a couple of licks on a Swedish or German steel. Also have a Case locking small folder and a small Buck serrated edge locking folder. I do have a very large twin blade Queen Steel knife that I've had for about 35-40 years. It's illegal to carry here concealed because of the blade length, so it goes in the tackle box along with the filet knifes. Also have too many fixed blade knifes to count.
    Been around power equipment all my life and can still count to twenty one nakey

pocket knife

I carry a buck 301 3 blade pocket knife,in my pocket all the time. George

I have carried a knife for the last 30 or so years. I carry a little Buck lock blade that has a very sharp point and a 170 C grade blade that holds a very good edge. It's funny when I was in grade school we had an Old lady teacher that insisted that all of the young boys should carry a pocket knife. I have carried one ever since.

Good Luck

Alan

In the pocket for home, shop and town, a Benchmade Osborne folder with Axis lock in 154 CM steel. A superior knife made by an Oregon company.

In the field (100 days/year), I prefer the strength and reliability of a fixed blade in a belt sheath. I carry a Loveless style with short blade in ATS 34 steel. Or an old Morseth in laminated steel with a 5" drop point blade with a stacked leather washer handle.

In the shop, I use the utility knife for mundane chores and a Stubbs version of the sloyd pattern to take to wood.

I have never cared for systems that integrate numerous multiple (and typically mickey-mouse) tool features. While these have legitimate purposes, the knives contained in them usually aren't much. When I need a knife, I want a real knife with superior steel that is up to the task. And it also needs to be quickly deployable.

Quote Originally Posted by jess bunch View Post
    Hi Rich,

I carry an Ole' Henry .. I have carried this knife for about 30 yrs now My daughter gave it to for Christmas, she gave one of my sons one also and he just left it laying around so I put it away to use when I wear this one out. It's a 3 blade, bone handle. I NEVER go ANYWHERE with out my knife. We will be doing something and one of my sons will ask to use my knife .. I say to them "where's YOUR knife", their usual answer is " on my dresser". I say "what kind of knife is it"? they say "pocket knife", I say "that's right a POCKETknife"! Oh well .....
    Sounds like conversations my Dad used to have with me! Had to stop for a while for work, but now it's always within easy reach. Oh, it's a victorinox tinker model.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    Not always in my pocket, but I've got 4-5 of these scattered around the house and shop...something about the design appeals to the engineer in me.

And a couple of Leatherman widgets in the big toolbox and the car, but they're too bulky for pockets IMHO.
    Lee..they look interesting...can I ask you which one you have..or which one you like best?

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy View Post
    Schrade Old Timer with a broken tip on the blade

At one time I thought it was a pick for digging stuff out of wood
    I hear ya buddy and I gots one in my pocket as we speak. Broken tip and all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Well, I have one of my Gramps, that I can't tell what type it is, but I leave it at home. One Craftsman lockblade that is all stainless (handle included), that I used to carry. Then I have my Leatherman, that I stopped carrying after a couple of Jury duty trips (they don't like them in the courts either).

I picked up another Craftsman lockblade (in exchange for another broken one I picked up), and left that in my tool box I was always lugging around. It was stolen last year with lot's of tools.
    I had been looking at a Gerber, especially since I always had the other style plier head when I needed one. I was going to get the Gerber 650 tech kit (4 different, interchangeable, plier heads), then it was canceled.

Lately, all I have been carrying are those inexpensive, knives that use replaceable utility blades. I don't know, but if you had one in the airport, couldn't you just leave the blades, then it is only a handle?

Maybe that is too much like all that confiscated toothpaste/shampoo, that is "hazardous" yet doesn't get blown up!

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Keedwell View Post
    Lee..they look interesting...can I ask you which one you have..or which one you like best?

Gary
    The 5510: bead-blast finish, semi-serrated. (They didn't have the black finish the last time I was in the market for a new one...have to take a look at that.)
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

I have a couple of Old timers That I use once in a while & a Stanley 10-049 disposable blade knife I touch up the blade 4-5 times then replace it. I also carry one of those fold able knives the have a construction knife blade that is disposable . I just got tired of sharpening blades.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

My knife

I carry a Case XX M1051 LSSP. Given to me as a Christmas present 20 years ago. Very slim, 2 and 3\4 inch blade. Best knife I've ever owned. Been carrying a knife since I was 8 and can understand feeling naked without one.

Wow,

I'm surprised, I am the odd man out. I stopped carrying a true pocket knife about 6 or 7 yrs ago and bought a Gerber lock blade folding knife that holds a replaceable razor blade. I was not sure how much I would like it, but I use a knife so much at work its great, if the blade gets nicked or dull I take the blade out and throw it away and replace the blade. I always have a sharp knife in my pocket and never have to sharpen it.

I have carried a single blade, locking knife for the past 38 years. Had a folder close on my finger back then, so locking blade only for me.
    Currently its a 3 inch "blackie collins" blade with a GFP handle.
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

I bought my Swiss Army knife when the first PX opened after the truce in Korea (1953). The PX was in a tent and I had never heard of a Swiss Army knife, but it was the only knife they had. So it'll soon be 55 years old. Of course, the amazing thing is - I haven't lost it.

My son noted a small crack in the handle and suggested that I could get a new knife if I returned it. I generally consider him a bright kid, but I had to explain that I wasn't about to give it up just yet.

Roy